Uses for android tablets...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galladanb

Reaction score
Because I wanted a large screen fro the Van to be used with the engine performance monitoring system, I recently purchased an android tablet.

I just figured out "How to" upload my music library to it so I will be using the tablet to play our music en-route on our journey...
Not sure if we can do both OBDii AND music at the same time with it or not... I will check that out shortly!!!

But then I got to thinking it has GPS capabilities...

First question, what do you use your android devices for?
Second question, other than OBDii and music, what would you suggest as to various apps for navigation, entertainment, etc????

BTW, We already have a couple of iPhone's (2) and iPad Mini... The wife also has a ASUS laptop and a Samsung tablet...
I guess, you could say we go both ways, LOL!!!

Such Fun!!!

Everything except for phone and mobil hotspot.

Apps from the play store include Weather Bug and Radar Express, Gas Buddy app for cheapest  price locally, Google maps, Allstays app, GPS and a few others. I really like a larger screen for directions when close to my destination.

If you have several of them, you can stack them in a pile and drive up on them to level the van. Of course it's most effective if you have enough for both tires on one side.

I have been trying to conceive of how I could justify yet another online device. Still have my laptop, but only use it a few times a month, when the cellphone just cannot do what I need. Part of that was the cost of data. Now I have Verizon's new "unlimited" plan, that presents new possibilities.
My sister has a PC, her dumbphone and a tablet she uses only with WIFI connection.
I do like the idea of the tablet's larger screen and keyboard. But, not at the cost of adding yet another device to my monthly bill.
Still considering options.

LeeRevell said:
My sister has a PC, her dumbphone and a tablet she uses only with WIFI connection.
I do like the idea of the tablet's larger screen and keyboard.  But, not at the cost of adding yet another device to my monthly bill.
Still considering options.

Lee, I have a wifi-only iPad Mini3 and a MacBook Pro and connect them both with the hotspot feature on my iPhone 6.  I only have and pay for the one LTE connected device.

BTW, I connect both to the phone using Bluetooth, not WIFI.

I use mine for about anything I'd use a desktop for, but I'm very much over equipped with a desktop

hepcat said:
Lee, I have a wifi-only iPad Mini3 and a MacBook Pro and connect them both with the hotspot feature on my iPhone 6.  I only have and pay for the one LTE connected device.

BTW, I connect both to the phone using Bluetooth, not WIFI.

Would an Android phone tether/connect to a Win tablet? I am a tyro at this. I was able to connect my laptop to my old SIII by WIFI, but having trouble doing so with the S7 Edge. There seems to be a long drawn out procedure to have to go through.
I do not do bluetooth.

LeeRevell said:
Would an Android phone tether/connect to a Win tablet?  I am a tyro at this.  I was able to connect my laptop to my old SIII by WIFI, but having trouble doing so with the S7 Edge.  There seems to be a long drawn out procedure to have to go through.
I do not do bluetooth.

If your phone has a wifi hotspot function, then yes any tablet or laptop should be able to attach to it.  You'll have to set it up with passwords, of course.

Bluetooth is just another kind of wireless.  It's used primarily to attach accessories to a phone or tablet like a headset, speakers or a keyboard, but it's cool that it can also be used to attach a device to a hotspot or hotspot enabled phone.  I like Bluetooth because it seems to use much less battery to power it.  Using Bluetooth, two devices "pair."  As long as both devices show the same code, then you can "pair" them and they're connected.  Then they can just talk to one another when Bluetooth is enabled and other than connecting them, you don't have do the wifi password thing.  There isn't a password to be hacked, and your hotspot may not show up as broadcasting to other folks scanning for wifi.

If it really has a GPS I'd install an offline navigation app like OsmAnd (free). You download state maps and store them on the device, so even if you are out of cell service you can nav with it.

If it's not permanently mounted I'd also use it as an eBook reader (Kindle, FBreader, etc). Over the last year I converted my entire library into eBook format and couldn't be happier.

Very cool! Yes it has Gps, and I was wondering what app and extras we would need for navi uses?

I ordered some "NATO Mounts" for the van and car, should be here today or Mondauy
I'll make a review of them a soon as I can. Expecting great things with them!

I did a test yesterday in the van, and the tablet will do both obdii and music at the same time, so that's really cool! Yay!

frater secessus said:
If it really has a GPS I'd install an offline navigation app like OsmAnd (free).  You download state maps and store them on the device, so even if you are out of cell service you can nav with it. 
Is that kind of like downloading google maps for offline use? Is it better?

Just like you, I have installed music and movies so that I won't get bored along the way.

Second question, other than OBDii and music, what would you suggest as to various apps for navigation, entertainment, etc????
I believe that it can be used as a GPS, you just need google map and you're good to go. You can also install other apps like social media, games, and more. But I won't suggest you to do that if you're just planning to have it inside your car.

Ballenxj said:
Is that kind of like downloading google maps for offline use? Is it better?

The gmaps offline mode does work but is fiddly to define the areas.

OsmAnd downloads entire states (or small countries) from the open streetmap project so you have huge, easy coverage.  The mapsets are regularly updated. Store the maps on SD card if you have one.  Both OsmAnd and Open Street Maps are free/open projects but I like them so much I donated to both projects.

Before Osmand I bought another offline nav app (CoPilot) but I don't use it anymore.

Thx, Frater! I will look into OsmAnd tonight for sure! I do have a 16gb card that I could use.
Will that be big enough for conus and Canada?

Also, how do I use my Apple iPod playlists on the tablet? Can I simply copy and use them?
I would hate to have to recreate them, omg what a laborious task / nightmare that would be.

Any other app ideas?

Well I got the OsmAnd app, but as it turns out, my tablet may not have an actual Gps chip in it.
It finds my house while in wifi, but it does nothing, once away from here....
Darn it anyway!

That app looked really promising!

Perhaps you can hook it up to be your back up monitor. It can be in nav mode when not in reverse.
With my first generation nexus 7 I downloaded most of new mexico. Its an awesome ereader and so much easier to read than a small screen.

I have a Kindle Fire tablet, wifi only. I have music on,books and movies. I belong to Amazon Prime
and they have free movies,books,magazines and music you can get or you can purchase cheaper than a hardcover or softcover book. I just find a place such as McD,the library,a coffee shop....and use the free wifi to download what I want onto the tablet.
I have a cheap Windows phone with Internet and if lost just pull up a map of the area or state and find directions "current location" to where I should be. Works for me!