usb-c Power Delivery Panel Mounting [laptops]: Why is there not much postings?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windnsalsa

Reaction score
Preparing for my 1st build, I am interested in mounting a socket offering USB-C PD 60w to charge a laptop. Is this not easily implemented? I don't see much discussions on the net. I've seen few mentioning of the 18w socket [good for phones and tablets] such as below, but haven't read anyone implementing such here. I see no gang panel with it. What am I missing???

https://powerwerx.com/panel-usbc-pd-power-delivery-qc30-blue[/SIZE]

For me I have never run across anything that can use it. Hopefully someone who knows more than me will reply.

Highdesertranger

More and more laptops and other gadgets are being powered via usb-c PD. So, I would assume such charging are being implemented in mobile battery banks.

I did a quick search and didn't even find a DIY mountable one. So where do these come from do you have any links? Where do you plug your device into now? Highdesertranger

The original post has a link to a USB-C port. It's output is limited to 5V @ 3.1A. Good enough to charge a phone or a tablet.

I don't know about laptops that usually have larger batteries. Both the AC and DC chargers for my new laptop output 65W, 19V @ 3.42A. It does have a USB-C port, but I did not look into for what it can be used.

The new I phone 12 uses a magnetic charging station that uses a USB-C port at 3 amps but my laptop had no 12 volt charger available from the factory so it seems you would have to run a pure sign wave inverter and plug the factory charger into it to charge the lap top if that is what you are asking. I found it was easier just to use my smart phone when without grid power. I do have an 18 volt Ryobi vehicle battery charger so you would think it should be easy to find a 19 volt vehicle charger for a laptop, but in my case not so.

I think that USB-C PD is still such a new standard, that it will simply take a bit more time before it is widely implemented.

Also, general USB has the advantage, that it is still low watt (5V x 3A = 15W), so it is fairly easy (and cheap) to make chips that can deal with 3Amp.

At 60W, you (might) need beefier chips, beefier PCB traces and just over all beefier (and more costly) designs.

And so far, it seems that charging of (some) laptops is the one thing that benefits from USC-PD.

It will also seem that USB-PD is still maturing,
as PD ver 2.0 was introduced in (September 19, 2019)
and PD ver 3.0 was introduced in  (September, 2020)
(see: https://www.usb.org/usbc)

So perhaps the marked (enough consumers) are still not needing 60W or 100W USB-C PD solutions, just yet.

Some offers are however readily available at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=100W+USB-C+Car+Charger

(this search will also show lower wattage chargers than 100W - but since USB-C PD 3.0 has specs up till at least 100W, I thought is wise to go high)

highdesertranger said:
I did a quick search and didn't even find a DIY mountable one.  So where do these come from do you have any links?  Where do you plug your device into now?  Highdesertranger

I have mine plugged into a wall charger ATM. But, want to have direct wires to fuse block in van with solar/leisure battery. If I can wire a 5.5x2.1 barrel + xt60 wire connection to my fuseblock, then I would be able to charge my 300wh Golabs portable battery station/generator, which has a  my usb-c port to which I can connect my laptop.

I also came across this product in another post which seems to be a DC-DC converter providing up to 60w usb-c. Bit pricey.
https://www.coolgear.com/product/usb-power-delivery-60w-high-power-industrial-adapter-charger-ccg3pa

Well for what that little black box does 45bucks doesn't sound bad to me. Stuff has gotten expensive. Highdesertranger