Laptop power test with killawatt

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimindenver

Reaction score
I thought I had gotten away from this topic since I replaced the netbooks with 2 in 1 windows tablets. Then I received back a 17 inch HP that I had given Mom a few months before she died.

Now the tablets can charge off of a USB or 120v. The Laptop is 120v with the charger output rated for 19.5v, 2.31a, 45w max. The first thing I tested was the draw with just the power brick plugged in, it was0.0w with a occasional blip of .03w.

I plugged in the laptop sleeping and it drew a average of 12.9w around 75% charged. I'll have to see what it draws off/on and fully charged. I can see the charger turning off when at 100% and off.

I turned on the computer and it drew 20-25w depending on what it was doing. Downloading a video or spinning up the DVD was higher but usually 20-21w.

I took the battery out and started the computer, after it started it averaged 10w and would draw as much as 16w briefly depending on what you do.

So if I keep the slab of granite, I won't be carrying it around which means I don't need the battery to be charging all the time. 10-16w for a 17 inch, quad core is pretty doable.

I'll put the battery back in and see what it does fully charged.

to add

The laptop sleeping with no battery is drawing 0.4w

The power saving would apply to a 12v set up too. You simply don't use as much power when not charging the battery when you don't need too.