Van solar panels charging BOTH portable power station 'generator' and leisure battery

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windnsalsa

Reaction score
Hi, having a challenging time much info regarding below scenario. I am preparing to build soon for full time minivan camping. What are possible ways to charge a 200a agm house battery and a 300wh Golab "power generator" (built-in mppt, 65w/22v max solar input charging ) ? Could the station be permanently connected to existing setup components (2x100w rigid panels, standalone 60a mppt solar charge controller, fuse box ; no standalone inverter ATM) and be charge simultaneously or possibly after leisure battery is topped off? Alternatively, once leisure battery is topped off, the panels can be disconnected from external 60a SCC and then connect to station? General load would be 12v 28gal fridge, 12v adapter connected laptop, phone, little led lighting, weekly AC charging of hair clippers. Thanks!

If it were me, I would connect the solar panels to the house battery and then plug in the portable battery to my house system to charge. Way simpler that way. Generally later in the day, you have excess power from the panels that would go into the portable power station if you waited to plug it in.

And, bonus - your portable power station is still portable. Can come in very handy, if, for instance, you are hanging out at a lake with picnic tables a couple hundred feet from your vehicle, and you feel like listening to music...

I had my portable power stations for months before I decided to get rooftop solar, and charging them from my new lithium house battery is exactly what abnorm recommended I do. He was 100% correct!

I was thinking of the station having charging energy directly from the panels. So, you are saying when plugging the station into the battery later in the day, then the excess panels power would charge it via battery system?

I was planning the battery system having its own 12 socket/usb/usb-c switch console and use the station when needed, whether in van or remote.

I guess I am wanting to minimize unnecessary battery usage as a good practice

Don't limit yourself to one way..... run trial and error tests to see what works best for you.

You can build your system any way you want.

Your portable power station is just another draw on your system. Whether you have two subsystems, one charging your house battery, and the other charging your portable power station is up to you.

And I don't know what you mean by unnecessary battery usage. Batteries need to be used - they need to be drawn down and then recharged, within their limits, in order to stay "alive". Even lithium batteries, which are a lot more forgiving than the other types.

^^^^ Thanks Jacque

"I was thinking of the station having charging energy directly from the panels."

the problem is the "PowerStation" is generally limited to how much Solar Panel (Watts) can be directly connected.......

We like the large CHEAP used panels from SanTan Solar in Gilbert AZ...connected to a MPPT Solar Controller....connected to a permanent Battery

And YES..............."I was planning the battery system having its own 12 socket/usb/usb-c switch console and use the station when needed, whether in van or remote."

Everything plays together nicely

jacqueg said:
You can build your system any way you want.

Your portable power station is just another draw on your system. Whether you have two subsystems, one charging your house battery, and the other charging your portable power station is up to you.

And I don't know what you mean by unnecessary battery usage. Batteries need to be used - they need to be drawn down and then recharged, within their limits, in order to stay "alive". Even lithium batteries, which are a lot more forgiving than the other types.
I meant preventing the need to drain more of the battery system when we can charge the station [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]directly from the panels when neccessary. I am a noob, so trying to determine a good/best method for my scenario & budget.[/font]

jacqueg said:
And, bonus - your portable power station is still portable. Can come in very handy, if, for instance, you are hanging out at a lake with picnic tables  a couple hundred feet from your vehicle, and you feel like listening to music...

I had my portable power stations for months before I decided to get rooftop solar, and charging them from my new lithium house battery is exactly what abnorm recommended I do. He was 100% correct!
Do/did you have any station connected to your battery system?

Using the solar system and battery bank as a stand alone system should allow you to use the excess power coming from the solar panel into the battery bank to charge your power station using it's 12 volt DC charger plug during sunny periods of the day. If the battery bank is not fully charged by the end of the day you need a larger solar system.

^^^What bullfrog said. No need in making your system complicated. Your panels will charge the house bank. The house battery will charge your portable power battery. If you are using more power than can be supplied by the solar system, you need more or bigger panels or to use less power.

You really need to figure out what your power usage budget is. Take each device and find the amps it draws (@12V DC) and multiply by how long you plan to use it. Add them all together for a starting point. Remember the sun doesn't always shine so you need some buffer. You will probably add more electrical devices in the future too.

I have a portable battery box. Homemade nothing fancy. I plug it into a 50 watt solar panel or I plug it into my house system(trailer) to charge. I would never try to charge my house system through the dinky charge controller on the box. Highdesertranger

I'm trying to concentrate on a portable power capability for a small space (my Grand Cherokee) without having to deploy with my heavier set-up ( even half - 2 glass panels and 2 group 29 batteries take up quite a bit of room) so I've decided to take a chance, spend some of my stimuli on a Li4power station with 300w of pure sine AC at the inverter to be charged with a folding lightweight, flexible 100w, 18v panel system. I can also charge it direct off of one of the vehicle power plugs as well. That should take care of my rather low electrical requirements. A stand alone charging capability outside of your vehicle based systems might not be a bad idea as a back-up.

Cheers!

haha, i bought this exact one recently for same price. Its on a lightning deal today for same price. It's been $100 off $300 promo very often the past month. I've tested with a 12v fridge which lasted about 48 hrs indoor. I will be making use of it next month when I complete the van build. Most of this level model does not have quick charge, which I wish it did. But this is a good price for a pure sine & lifepo

windnsalsa said:
haha, i bought this exact one recently for same price. Its on a lightning deal today for same price. It's been $100 off $300 promo very often the past month. I've tested with a 12v fridge which lasted about 48 hrs indoor. I will be making use of it next month when I complete the van build. Most of this level model does not have quick charge, which I wish it did. But this is a good price for a pure sine & lifepo
Sweet! Coincidentally that's the primary purpose I got mine for as well. Good to hear it lasts that long on a charge. It's a good price. When I buy a TT I may go up in capacity for that use. I can always fire up my small inverter gennie for any cloudy days.

Cheers!

SORRY to unbury this thread...how do I connect the station to the existing 12v house battery setup? I have a fuse block and will be getting a gang switch panel [cig sockets, usb]  Below are various input options. 
1. cig socket [ 3a fuse?]
2. 5.5x2.1mm...how?
3. usb-c PD 30 or 60w...how? I understand usb-2 or 3, but don't see much discussions about wiring PD. Would it be something like this which is only 18w usb-c. No where near PD 60w input. 

---Golabs r300 station:

---Input options: Inputs (MPPT 10.8-23.5V), I believe 3A:
++DC input: 5.5*2.1mm
++AC wall socket (45W);
++Car charger (12V);
++Solar panel charge;
++PD 60W input