UPS for permanent street address?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michele0203

Reaction score
Has anyone used UPS for their option of having an actual address vs. a PO box?  I was thinking thisight be a way to get a job?  However, I don't know if it would work to establish residency in a state?

michele0203 said:
Has anyone used UPS for their option of having an actual address vs. a PO box?  I was thinking thisight be a way to get a job?  However, I don't know if it would work to establish residency in a state?

I've been planning on buying a address from the UPS store in the next couple of days , I don't know if they'll except big packages though , for example ,, I want to get a set of wheels and tires shipped to me , I won't know until I ask them.

My UPS store will accept any idem, big or small. I have had no problems with any shipment for 2 years dealing with them. Plus this store has 24 hr access for My regular box.
Package pick up is normal store hours. I asked if they would forward any mail if needed and of course they will for a fee. And yes It is recognized as a regular address, at least for any
thing I have tried to use it for.

I might be wrong but I think it will not work for an address for your driver license but it will work for a mailing address. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I might be wrong but I think it will not work for an address for your driver license but it will work for a mailing address.  highdesertranger

I was wondering about that....  Too bad.  If it doesn't work for your DL, what does?  

I have a friend with a PO box listed as his address on his license, but it's from a looooooong time ago.   :-/

I've also been considering getting a UPS box, but if I still need a physical address for my license, I might have to rethink it.

You might be right highdesert, but It is a physical address for most all other things I have used. I got it as a test bed for the mobile lifestyle. and have not tested out the DL part yet.

Most states, if not all, do not recognize a UPS Store as a drivers license address. Also, UPS stores are private owned and many close, leaving clients hanging. You need a physical address to open and renew a PO Box at a US Post Office. You have to visit the box a few times a week to collect / empty the box. Mine is stuffed full on Thursday with advertising papers. Other days with just junk. A few states recognize mail forwarding companies, but I bet that will change as Home Land decides to be more secure.

BigT said:
I was wondering about that....  Too bad.  If it doesn't work for your DL, what does?  

I have a friend with a PO box listed as his address on his license, but it's from a looooooong time ago.   :-/

I've also been considering getting a UPS box, but if I still need a physical address for my license, I might have to rethink it.

What you need to do, is find a "Helping" place for Homeless people (Like us) One place I used, was "Share House" in Vancouver, WA.

These people will do the following:

They will fill out a sheet claiming you receive mail there. (You CAN do so, but not many do)
You then have them fill in the information and then they'll also make your "Mailing address" the place they need to send the license to.
You then go to the licensing place and give them that paper.
They take it, charge you their "Fees" and then take your pic and send the license to you in 2-3 weeks.

Done deal and works for me.

Wanderer said:
What you need to do, is find a "Helping" place for Homeless people (Like us) One place I used, was "Share House" in Vancouver, WA.

Yes, charities set up to serve the homeless can be used to prove you're a resident of the state. I have friends who have done it in AZ. In many states it's illegal to refuse a homeless person a drivers license, so this is the way around that conflict. I'm not sure how long it will work for REAL ID, but it might well work forever.

My wife and I have been utilizing a private box at the local UPS store as our mailing address since we went full time in 2010. We use the address of the office of the RV resort we have been parking our 43ft toyhauler we call home when not about in our van conversion. On our Oregon DL it lists our physical address (RV resort) then also lists our mailing address (UPS store). The DMV had no problems with doing so, they just asked me for a receipt for a month's space rent and we were set.

: ) Thom

Yes. Oregon. They have a physical address. They live in a trailer park. Most will not find a UPS box usable unless they have a physical address.

Same thing in Nevada, and I believe in all states compliant with REAL ID. Bring in a months rent receipt from anything (RV Park, motel, apt, room rental) and you're good. No one cares what you use for a mailing address, just so long as it works.
Bob

michele0203 said:

Hi.
When I retired I used a UPS Store as my address in NJ while I was finishing up volunteer commitments.

1. For the DL it was okay. I was only doing a change of address, not getting a new DL.
2. For voting it sucked, the county recognized it as a business address and rejected it.
3. I received solar panels and a roof rack with no issues.

There is no guarantee it will work to establish "residency".

-Wayne