Update Prius Build Plan. Seeking Metal Box!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdoverl

Reaction score
So I've been doing a bit of research the past couple weeks, and a plan is slowly coming together. Originally I was wanting to get 400 amps of battery in the Prius and a 310 watt solar panel. Well the solar panel was legally to large to fit on the top of the prius, plus it would have destroyed my stealth factor. Also, I grossly over estimated the 400 amps of power I would need. I actually only need about 160 amps of power.

I then recently came up with the idea of installing a hitch and cargo hitch carrier on the Prius. on the Hitch carrier i would mount a metal box of some sort (Still working on finding one).

Here is a list of the products I've chosen below

Draw-Tite Sportframe Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class I - 1-1/4" Item # 24808
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Toyota/Prius/2007/24808.html?vehicleid=2007201515
  200 lbs. Tongue Weight
  Note: Tongue weight capacity of hitch will be reduced by 50% with use of adapter
  $121.95

20x48 Curt Cargo Carrier for 1-1/4" and 2" Hitches - Steel - 300 lbs Item # C18110
  https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/Curt/C18110.html
  300 lbs. capacity
  Carrier weight: 30 lbs
  Platform dimensions (inside rails): 47-11/16" long x 19-1/2" wide
  $88.95

(2 x) Duracell Ultra 6V Golf Cart Battery SLIGC110
  https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sligc110?locationofinterest=&locationphysical=9017943&gclid=Cj0KEQjwxbDIBRCL99Wls-nLicoBEiQAWroh6jkCadCJ6hNKu9HT3Zvz6lLDLTSDddBB3_Ioqq4dzGAaApwu8P8HAQ
  Voltage: 6
  Lead Acid Type: Deep Cycle
  Lead Acid Design: Flooded
  Capacity 20hr: 215AH
  Weight: 60.5 lbs
  Length: 10.25 in
  Width: 7.125 in
  Height: 10.875 in
  $ 99.99

Now the batteries are a total of 430 amps, I couldn't find golf cart batteries lower than that in amps (though I admit I'm short on research time at the moment, sure I will find them eventually)

Also I'm researching fold-able 100 watt solar panels, looking into getting a couple of them, and boy are they expensive (twice the price of non folding 100 watt panels). I thought about storing a regular 100 watt renogy panel in the cargo area of the Prius, but it's too long by about 2 inches (every hurdle is about 2-6 inches is seems). MMM, if I guess I could come of with a way to store the panels on the cargo carrier in the metal box, but I have to watch the weight limit.

I'm currently trying to research a metal box that can sit in the cargo carrier, but it must fit inside the following dimensions;

Platform dimensions (inside rails): 47-11/16" long x 19-1/2" wide

I'm having a hard time finding a good metal box for this, does anyone have any advice for this?

Also I need to keep the Tongue weight beneath 200 pounds, currently I'm sitting at 151 pounds, so the metal box needs to be under 49 pounds.

I just thought of something, the height of the metal box, would there be a legal limit, like can I not block my license plate?

Most states you cannot block the plateI spotted a 2005 Prius in Autotrader, sorta tempted, but so much that can go wrong, and at $2k for a Prius, well, not really all that sure it's not got problems

The two 6V GC batts will be 215AH, remember in series you add the voltage but not the amp hours.
Can't help you on the metal box but I've seen some old steel office cabinets and such that would work good so keep an eye on the second hand stores. I had a buddy lay a cheap thin steel rifle cabinet "safe" the back of his TT as a toolbox too. both of those options generally are have built in locks

Edit
Yes, make sure you don't block your plate, if you have to you can get a bracket with a built in light and mount it to the box

First, when you pair two 6 volt batteries together to make a 12V system it does NOT double the AH. Those batteries you linked will give you 215 AH at 12V of which only half is usable, so app. 108 AH before you've drained the batteries to 50 %. On a daily basis that is not really desirable.

If you put a hitch hauler on the back of the vehicle, may I suggest one of the swing-away hitches so that you can still access the back door without having to unload everything off the hitch.

https://www.stowaway2.com/hitch-frames

Both Bob and I have one and we both love them!

You don't have to buy the box from stowaway, I mounted a $65. Husky tradesman box on mine (it's hard plastic). Or you could go the route of a diamond plate box from someplace like Tractor Supply.

If the box obscures your license plate there are ways of wiring a plate light and mounting the license plate on the rear of the box.

The total weight (frame, box and contents) will have to be carefully considered, particularly on the Prius. Depending on the rating of the hitch and the vehicle capacity, it may or may not be worth your while. Can you even get a hitch for a Prius...just asking, have no idea?

I use a pair of Renogy 100W Eclipse panels as portables. They simply plug together in to a cord that is plugged in to the van and runs to the controller that is mounted inside in my 'electrical room'. No one says you have to mount panels! The Eclipse panels are about the same weight combined as a 100W suitcase and I can handle each of them separately.

minimotos95 said:
The two 6V GC batts will be 215AH, remember in series you add the voltage but not the amp hours.
Can't help you on the metal box but I've seen some old steel office cabinets and such that would work good so keep an eye on the second hand stores. I had a buddy lay a cheap thin steel rifle cabinet "safe" the back of his TT as a toolbox too. both of those options generally are have built in locks

Edit
Yes, make sure you don't block your plate, if you have to you can get a bracket with a built in light and mount it to the box

Thanks, i didn't realize the amps don't add up. Guess it's back to the drawing board looking for batteries. I have to keep the weight low, so only two batteries allowed to carry on the cargo carrier. So that means 2 6v 300ish amp batteries. Would a single 12v 300ish amp battery be OK? I seen some people say they don't work as well as 2 single 6v batteries.

I've seen the license plate and light kits online, I don't imagine they cost to much. I'll look into those and post my findings.

Thanks for the help

Almost There said:
If you put a hitch hauler on the back of the vehicle, may I suggest one of the swing-away hitches so that you can still access the back door without having to unload everything off the hitch.

https://www.stowaway2.com/hitch-frames

You don't have to buy the box from stowaway, I mounted a $65. Husky tradesman box on mine (it's hard plastic). Or you could go the route of a diamond plate box from someplace like Tractor Supply.

The total weight (frame, box and contents) will have to be carefully considered, particularly on the Prius. Depending on the rating of the hitch and the vehicle capacity, it may or may not be worth your while. Can you even get a hitch for a Prius...just asking, have no idea?

I use a pair of Renogy 100W Eclipse panels as portables. They simply plug together in to a cord that is plugged in to the van and runs to the controller that is mounted inside in my 'electrical room'. No one says you have to mount panels! The Eclipse panels are about the same weight combined as a 100W suitcase and I can handle each of them separately.

I've thought about getting the slide away cargo carrier, but with the prius, the back door will open without hitting the carrier, or the cargo on the carrier. Plus I have about 10 inches to squeeze between the cargo carrier and the bumper. So standing should not be a problem.

Actually a hard plastic box sounds like a good idea, should be able to reduce much needed weight. Thanks.

They actually do make a hitch for the prius, I have one with a link posted on the original message.

I will look into the Renogy 100W Eclipse panels. Hopefully they are smaller than the others

Thanks for your help!

Uhhhhhhhh...
The Prius has a pretty good battery and charging system built in. You might be able to get by with just that ??

There are a few forum members that live in their Prius ...
Maybe they will chime in with real world info.
Try to PM Suanne

Just what are you planning on powering/charging with this system ??? We can make far better answers if we know that........

rvpopeye said:
Uhhhhhhhh...
The Prius has a pretty good battery and charging system built in. You might be able to get by with just that ??

There are a few forum members that live in their Prius ...
Maybe they will chime in with real world info.
Try to PM Suanne

Just what are you planning on powering/charging with this system ??? We can make far better answers if we know that........

I actually plan on doing both, using the Prius as a generator and also use solar power whenever I can.

here are my calculations below for my power usage

Amp x Time = Amp hours x 2 (factoring 50% battery bank usage)= Total Bank
9.57A x 8 hours = 76.56 Amp Hours x 2 = 153.12 Amps

Below I used the calculator found on Renogy to determine solar panels and battery bank I would need.

Recommended System Size (Solar): 208.7 Watts

Recommended Battery Size (12V): 160.0 Amp-hours

Now I highly doubt I'll be running electronics for 8 hours a day, that's just me going overboard, as I rather calculate to much, than too little. I'm not running an AC or fridge, nothing I have needs to be continuously ran throughout the day. Charging phones, running laptops, monitor, TV antenna, etc.

I'll be spending most of my time in the City when I work a job, but I will have periods where I travel for a couple months at a time, boon-docking on BLM land and meeting up with other travelers.

Almost There said:

I realized I forgot to address this earlier.

The total weight that can be put on the tongue is 200 lbs. So far my total weight is below;

Total Tongue Weight: 60 lbs.
  Cargo Carrier: 30 lbs.
  Storage Box: 30 lbs.

It seems that most batteries average about 60 lbs, which should put me at about 180 lbs, just under the 200 lbs threshold.

another thing to remember is weight in a hitch hauler is not the same as the tongue weight the receiver is rated for. I don't know the specifics but it has to do with the bouncing up and down.
If you can find one for the Prius a class III hitch would definitely be worth it over the class I merely from a safety standpoint.

minimotos95 said:
another thing to remember is weight in a hitch hauler is not the same as the tongue weight the receiver is rated for. I don't know the specifics but it has to do with the bouncing up and down.
If you can find one for the Prius a class III hitch would definitely be worth it over the class I merely from a safety standpoint.

Sadly they only make class I hitches for my Prius, I was hoping to get a class II or III

I'm not saying you don't want the solar but maybe see if you can get along without it first???
It doesn't sound like you have a real lot of battery drain there.

The 6volt GCs are closer to 90# each but a couple or just 1 AGM would be much lighter. (less forgiving with charging req though)

You might be able to replace the Prius starter batt with a AGM too ( I know the stock one is a weird size) and maybe then use some small portable solar pans if you need 'em?

Check out what SternWake is using for his system.

they only make class I hitches for them because of liability. it would be kinda of stupid of them to make a class II or III because you know someone will try to tow something to big. actually someone would try anyway but this way the hitch manufacturer would not be liable. highdesertranger

Those GC batteries are not closer to 90 pounds each. But I opted for the slightly heavier EGC2 Duracell. They are 230 amp hour. 68 pounds each.

I sit corrected , but they sure felt like 90# !
I don't suppose age has anything to do with that??????

rvpopeye said:
I'm not saying you don't want the solar but maybe see if you can get along without it first???
It doesn't sound like you have a real lot of battery drain there.

The 6volt GCs are closer to 90# each but a couple or just 1 AGM would be much lighter. (less forgiving with charging req though)

You might be able to replace the Prius starter batt with a AGM too ( I know the stock one is a weird size) and maybe then use some small portable solar pans if you need 'em?

Check out what SternWake is using for his system.

I think your right about trying without Solar at first. I sat down and re-figured my power consumption but with a minimalist approach. Previously I've been thinking of having so many electronics in the Prius that would normally fit a Van. I'm very much a believer and don't give up easily. All of my ideas were possible, but dashed by a couple inches here and there and legal law and destroying stealth. After all the research and math, it finally sunk it that I need to accept a more minimalist approach (But i promise you I'm still working on the big ideas for the future, I will not give up on those).

So i decided to cut my electronics down to a laptop and a cellphone, and occasionally use a external mouse and keyboard. My new math based off of 8 hours of usage per day (I will never actually use 8 hours per day, but who knows, maybe a day off of work on the weekend and I have nothing to do.).

Below is my new calculated power usage;

Minimalist Power Settings (Laptop, phone only)
12 V Amp x Time = Amp hours x 2 (Factoring 50%)= Total Bank
4.36A x 8 hours = 34.88 Amp Hours x 2 = 69.76A

The two Golf Cart 215 amp hour batteries should still get the job done. I may even want to look at batteries with less power as I'll be using a total of 34.88 amp hours over a 8 hour period, so times that by two, for a battery bank of 69.76 amp hours. 215 Amp hours provides me 107.5 workable amps.

Replacing the Prius start battery actually seems like an interesting idea, I'll have to research that more, thanks for the suggestion.

Now I just have to figure if the prius can handle charging that many amps on it's own. I'll have to message SternWake, I tried looking up old post of his, but he post about a million times a day lol.

Depending on the answers I find on how long it takes the Prius to charge 215 amps, I may pass on solar for time being.

highdesertranger said:
they only make class I hitches for them because of liability.  it would be kinda of stupid of them to make a class II or III because you know someone will try to tow something to big.  actually someone would try anyway but this way the hitch manufacturer would not be liable.  highdesertranger

Agreed, though my research I know I need to keep the weight under 200 pounds, no more.

I am new to this and was looking at some trailers that said you couldn't drive them over 45 MPH.  Is this true for all of them or only certain ones?

XFILE36 said:
I am new to this and was looking at some trailers that said you couldn't drive them over 45 MPH.  Is this true for all of them or only certain ones?
Sorry i haven't been researching trailers. I've been looking at cargo carriers that mount on the trailer hitch. I'm sure some other members of the site have some knowledge on trailers.

I want to believe [emoji6]

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk