Update: Mystery sorta solved

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanLifeCrisis

Reaction score
So after a fun day having the van shut down about 1000 feet from the mechanic, who thankfully came and dragged it in the rest of the way for me, I have an update on the van situation.

Those who were helping me in another thread may recall I had 2 issues, the engine and something making disturbing noise underneath.

The engine was fixed with a combination of issues, fortunately none major.  The positive cable on the battery was lose, so this helped with the battery not charging.  It wouldnt start because the pcv valve was bad, in combination with the other stuff.   I had them do a tune up...it needed one badly.   While doing it, they found the distributer in bad shape, and even more shocking, one of the plug cables was not even plugged in at the spark plug end.   Just dangling.  All that fixed, the van started and ran much like it did before my break down, though the check engine light is still on.  Ill try to get the paper clip method to look up the codes tomorrow if i can.

Now for the bad news.   The noise underneath wasn't mounts or universal joints as was suspected (hoped?), but it is something in the rear end.   I could see 3 mechanics faces go to the same kind of face you get when you hear the person in front of you had a relative die.   I knew I was in trouble at that moment. 

He said he will have to take it apart and maybe it wont be an expensive solution, but it might.  Either way he didn't have the time to do that kind of thing today.

I am bartering a business sign for the work he is doing.    Im guessing the fact he brought up expense means that at least one of the problems may be so expensive he doesn't feel its worth it, so lets hope its one of the smaller easier fixes.

Here is the distributor cap

Images don't appear to be working for me...

RI8ZIbE.jpg

Martin

It might be cheaper to replace the rear axle with a junkyard unit, rather than fix the current one.  Just an option to keep in mind . . .

Hope the plug wires were replaced with that cap !
If the rear end isn't a simple fix.....OP's suggestion of a recycler rear end is a goodie , maybe the mechanic would feel better about a quick swap with you paying the scrap yard for the part ?

i had them replace plugs and wires too. Thanks for the junkyard suggestion, ill run it by him when i take it back down.
The error code im getting is for the engine coolant temp sensor. Maybe this is why it wants to die when its cold unless i give it some gas? it used to idle high then kick down when warm but not seeing that behavior anymore. the temp gauge seems to be working normally

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

you might have more then one temp sensor,start by finding them and checking/cleaning the connection