Under Frame Battery Box Construction

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7wanders

Reaction score
I own a 26 foot grumman-frieghtliner step van which I'm converting into an RV. I have purchased most of my electrical components and am getting ready for the install.

I'm at a friend's house this week who has offered to help me weld a battery box for my "house" batteries which I'm planning on installing soon. I want to get the box built in preparation for the wiring and solar install.

I'd like a space to hold four Trojan golf cart batteries (perhaps also a bit of room in case I decide to add more batteries). these measure 7x11x10 inches and weigh 62 lbs each. they are wet batteries which I'm planning on mounting under the step van outside and need to access them to top them off with water.

I'm assuming I'll need to cut a rectangle in the aluminum skirt behind the pocket door on the passenger side (between the wheels about middle of the step van). 

so, at this point I'm just needing ideas of how to build and mount the battery box under the "skirt" and near the frame under the step van (which is "outside" the living area)

I'm thinking of taking a standard metal box with a piano hinged lid and add a rolling tray inside which can slide out holding the batteries and lock on the outside (much like you see on the outside of a Class A vehicle)

a couple of problems I'm running into is that all of the metal bearing "sliders" for the tray seem to be rated at 100lbs. the batteries are 61 lbs each (4x62= 248 lbs)

I'd also prefer to repurpose or weld something custom rather than paying a huge sum of money for an industrial freight liner box. 

I'd welcome some advice and solutions on this

thanks!

wow those are some unbelievable prices on slides. I have never seen them so cheap. highdesertranger

Wow, you're right

almost pays for the gear to make it pushbutton automatic!

Maybe a hole in the floor between the frame rails and install a between the rails battery box.  Merritt makes one for use on big trucks complete with a channel to clear the drive shaft.  

258.jpg

$350.00 bucks, ouch. Just a thought, do you have a welder available. I built my own battery tray to fit between the frame rails and body on a Ford E-150.
I'd think on a vehicle like that you would have plenty of room to fab a tray, or two.
Mike

HumbleBeginnings said:
These sliders are rated at 400lbs and available in a variety of lengths. I've purchased some but haven't installed them yet, so I can't vouch for that rating personally.

https://www.firgelliauto.com/products/linear-drawer-slides

Looks like those slides have a 50lb rating for horizontal applications,  as you'd have with a drawer.  And 400lb vertical rating, like you'd have with say a tv lifting out of a cabinet.  Good price though, even for 50 lb rated drawer slides.  Never heard of that brand, but going to order a few and see how they compare.

thanks for the links and suggestions. I'm leaving here in a couple days and have decided to just put the batteries under a bench seat for a temp solution and then come back to this sometime in the near future.

Every Road Leads Home said:
Looks like those slides have a 50lb rating for horizontal applications,  as you'd have with a drawer.  And 400lb vertical rating, like you'd have with say a tv lifting out of a cabinet. 

Well crap, I think I misunderstood what that meant. I was thinking vertical load = gravity pulling down on the weight of my drawer.