Under floor storage design advice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3/4 inch ply is much less likely to warp after a few humid cycles.

2x8s wouldn't weigh much more than plywood on the walls, if you used 3/4 it would be close in weight, whats 30-50 pounds on a total build, nothing, plus it will hold fasteners better

I see nothing wrong with building up the floor, you cant stand up anyway, i like the ideal.

5 months later and the van is purchased! 2004 Toyota Sienna.

Of course, the floor is nowhere near level and my original plans all relied on laying straight edges on a level floor. Huzzah for a rework! What I've seen people do with the minivan floors is use posts and then joists attached to those to make a level frame for the floor. I'm still processing how to make that work with under floor storage unless it's all one large cavity. Any thoughts?

Horizontal joists, plywood on top, trapdoors with hinges between your joists.

Just be aware that there are packrats in the desert that love to get into any space between walls or floors. To avoid, be sure to seal all gaps to the outside with spray foam or silicon putty.

The Dire Wolfess

@Moxadox   Thanks for the tip about the packrats! What you suggested is along the lines of my original idea - I'm currently wondering how to adapt that for the super uneven floors of a minivan, so the "floor" can stay level. Any thoughts?

Hmm, what is it that is making them uneven? I think you'd have to create somehow a level surface you work with. Can't really do much with uneven surfaces, know what I mean?

The Dire Wolfess

@Moxadox It's a minivan, it's got all sorts of crap on the floor to fasten the seats, etc. I'll have to take a closer look tomorrow.

Strange late night thought - there's no reason the under floor cavities absolutely have to be rigid, right? Is there a reason not to build access above with removable sections as planned, and just fix a cloth "bags" to define the cavities? I.e. create a false floor on posts (so it's level), build removable panels to access under floor storage as planned (similar to "A False Bed" section in this article: http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2011/07/15/van-racking/), and then simply staple inside out fabric bags to the edges to line it (like the lining of a purse or bag). That way where the floor dips all potential storage space is utilized and I don't have to lose my mind over little details. Only downside I can see is cleaning - cloth would eventually get nasty, especially if I were to put food down there at any point (or spill sunblock or lotion, etc.). Am I 1am crazy?

lana_starr said:
@Moxadox It's a minivan, it's got all sorts of crap on the floor to fasten the seats, etc. I'll have to take a closer look tomorrow.

Strange late night thought - there's no reason the under floor cavities absolutely have to be rigid, right? Is there a reason not to build access above with removable sections as planned, and just fix a cloth "bags" to define the cavities? I.e. create a false floor on posts (so it's level), build removable panels to access under floor storage as planned (similar to "A False Bed" section in this article: http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2011/07/15/van-racking/), and then simply staple inside out fabric bags to the edges to line it (like the lining of a purse or bag). That way where the floor dips all potential storage space is utilized and I don't have to lose my mind over little details. Only downside I can see is cleaning - cloth would eventually get nasty, especially if I were to put food down there at any point (or spill sunblock or lotion, etc.). Am I 1am crazy?
You're crazy like a fox! I think that's a great idea. It puts me in mind of the way our minds need to be flexible in order to deal with the craziness of the mobile lifestyle, where "it's always something." Creating a false floor is what I had in mind, but you took it even further. So now, what kind of material would hold up to whatever climate and conditions you're thinking to be in most of the time? How will you prevent your secret bags from becoming rodent nests?

Also: bear in mind that if law enforcement searches your vehicle and finds your under floor spaces they will tear your vehicle down to bare metal looking for drugs.

The Dire Wolfess

Leave the bottom open and the sides will contain the contents. Small gaps between floor and side walls shouldn't be a bother.
Build the frame and let it float, shim to level where needed, make cutouts in frame over large obtrusions where necessary. Built my bed framed with 3/8 plywood, bottom open to the van floor. You could probably build the whole thing in 7/16 ply with 2*2 corners if your horizontal gaps between joists are 18*18". 12" height in a minivan about max height of platform, and still be fairly solid. Any taller and you will need thicker stronger wood and cross bracing. 12" for bed frame plus 6-8" mattress and not much room left to sit up. My van is about 48-52" height. But along the walls on one side you could build higher, stack bins, pullout shelf, desktop or add shelving for more storage space.

Create you box floor and sides cut out from rigid foam panels, stuck with gorilla glue.

Paint all sides with Glidden Gripper primer, then cover with canvas dropcloth cut to fit, jam into corners, paint some more, let dry.

Can embed wood bits fir hanging points.

Very lightweight and strong, cheap to fix or replace.