Um, getting ready to get ripped off...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad he is planning to plastic-weld it...that other stuff just does not work well with this kind of food-grade plastic.

So...this sounds like good news....I have my fingers crossed for you!

:)

I think a lot of people on here suggested "it doesn't have to be all or nothing" to several other folks on other threads. Meaning, try to go for short trips to see how you like it, what could be changed/improved, etc. It looks like from your post history that you just purchased this last month. May I make a suggestion for you to buy those 3-5 gallon water jugs mentioned earlier in this forum and hit the road for a few days? Is having that factory fresh water tank an absolute necessity?

Just a thought.

Edit: I see you have back problems. I've even seen people get several 1 gallon water jugs.

Thanks for this post.  I should elaborate.  I purchased the van in May, but the van was located in Oregon (I'm in Louisiana).  A friend came with me, and my dog (a challenge because of the heat and rules when flying with a dog in early summer, Max did great), and we flew out there to get the van.  It appeared to be as described, and it was Almost, lol, but we drove that van all the way home after deciding that the only logical way to get it home from Oregon to Louisiana was the go through Yellowstone.  That's my kind of logic, because I ain't right!  My friend did Everything because I knew Nothing.  So, I have seen some things but have not done them myself, including backing into a camping spot.  Why did I not do the hookups on the road during the maiden voyage? Fear.  Embracing that fear now and trying to learn all I can about the various systems and try to have what I will truly need on board.  It took us 7 weeks to get home.  Epic.  Best trip of my life.  Mostly I just wanted to enjoy it.  This time I will be solo.  I will do a one week trip locally for the practice; then I plan to be out for 6 months.  See why I need you guys?  Safe travels.

duckwonder said:
Hi All.  Here's the latest update:

I spoke with the mechanic about his plan to repair the freshwater tank.  He agreed it does not look great, he's going to plastic weld it, that was his intention all along.  Knowing this and now having seen a video about what that entails, some extra money is justified.  What he was asking for the work altogether was too high, and we discussed that.  He says he'll work with me but won't give me an actual figure, don't know why.  I asked him point blank, but nicely, if he has some sort of issue with me or the work and asked if he'd just like to pass on it.  He said not at all, and when the weboost does arrive to give him a call.  It's bizarre.  I guess we'll see early next week, am giving him the benefit of the doubt now.  Will keep you guys posted, and thanks for being there.
I'm betting he cannot or wont give a fixed bid because he doesn't know for sure how difficult the job will actually be? When it comes to working on anything vehicular, many times things come up that make the job way more expensive and difficult than it originally appeared.
I have quoted job pricing high, then had the job go very smooth and easy, so charged less in the end. Likewise, I have had people do that for me.

duckwonder said:
What he was asking for the work altogether was too high, and we discussed that.  He says he'll work with me but won't give me an actual figure, don't know why. 

You have to remember that it can be hard for the workman to know exactly what he's getting into. 'Roof leaks' can be hard to find the source of and some of the other things you mentioned might turn out to take extra time and hassle to fix. He's not necessarily being evasive for no good reason. Let's just hope he's honest and fair.

Ballenxj said:
I'm betting he cannot or wont give a fixed bid because he doesn't know for sure how difficult the job will actually be? When it comes to working on anything vehicular, many times things come up that make the job way more expensive and difficult than it originally appeared.
I have quoted job pricing high, then had the job go very smooth and easy, so charged less in the end. Likewise, I have had people do that for me.

That's a possible explanation, I hope that's it.  Thanks!

slow2day said:
You have to remember that it can be hard for the workman to know exactly what he's getting into. 'Roof leaks' can be hard to find the source of and some of the other things you mentioned might turn out to take extra time and hassle to fix. He's not necessarily being evasive for no good reason. Let's just hope he's honest and fair.

Yes, thank you.  He has seen the van at this point.  Ran his finger across the bottom of the roof over the back windows and couldn't help laughing.  Yep, I said, that's why I needed the bucket.  He will seal all cracks with Dicor, which I am providing, in order to help.  I am with you on hoping he's honest and fair, giving him my best thoughts, even what to cook.  Fingers crossed.  You know what I learned?  That I have a Bias against people who do repairs.  This is because of a lifetime of bad experiences.  It is unfair though.  It's like putting someone in a box just because of their job.  When I was in jury duty last year, I was dismissed for Bias.  There had been someone at the DAs office that had helped me once upon a time and I remembered her - my gratitude was very strong.  It took that jury duty experience to show me that bias, and that was a Positive bias.  The judge said to me, "It doesn't mean you're a bad person," and I understood it.  It's the same with repairs.  I did not recognize my bias until this thread revealed it to me, and I am grateful.  I do not want to be walking into situations with preconceived ideas messing me up, that's not who I am.  Now that I am aware, I can do better.  I accept my bias and fears because the past was real, but I don't want to overshoot / overcompensate and go blindly trusting every situation either.  For now, he's got the benefit of the doubt.

:huh: All I can add is please do not pay before the work is done!  On the womens forum a member here paid in advance and the guy didn't do it and laughed in her face when she asked for her money back.  I believe he said to her "I said I could do it not I would do it".  That is so wrong in so many ways.  Once I get on the road I may need a "Go Fund Me" just for bail money :D

Good Luck

Jewellann

Txjaybird said:
  On the womens forum a member here paid in advance and the guy didn't do it and laughed in her face when she asked for her money back.  I believe he said to her "I said I could do it not I would do it".  

That guy is morally bankrupt, and needs an attitude adjustment. Note I didn't say how. :rolleyes:

Txjaybird said:
:huh: All I can add is please do not pay before the work is done!  On the womens forum a member here paid in advance and the guy didn't do it and laughed in her face when she asked for her money back.  I believe he said to her "I said I could do it not I would do it".  That is so wrong in so many ways.  Once I get on the road I may need a "Go Fund Me" just for bail money :D

Good Luck

Jewellann

Thank you, I promise not to pay upfront, not even half.  That's the kind of stuff that happens that had me all knotted up inside, you get it!  Good thing there are a lot of good people in this world too!  Thanks for the support, be careful kicking all that, well, you know.  Lol.
Thanks again!

My father had a saying "If you get off your bike with shit in your mouth you'll usually find the same."
My Africans had a saying "If you have a leopard in you eye all you see are leopards"
I believe the bible has something similar about eyes as well.
They all mean the same thing.

I used to race cars. When you race as a non sponsored car you get free stuff but you have to instal it or have it installed. Your mechanic is your best friend as it is his fault when you lose and you share the glory when you win. But highly trained race engineers are expensive. Mine was cool and would let me do the stuff I could do while he did the stuff and added advice as needed when I couldn't. We have thirty years of history and if I called him today and asked him the question you are asking your guy. He couldn't give me a price. He'd never ballpark as it is a manner of pride. His bias is such. He would say under a grand and I am busy till thursday. Like others have posted he doesn't know what he is getting into, until he gets into it.

I am glad you recognized your bias. People generally don't and wonder why X happens to them and not others. Reading what we write is a great tool of discovery. People generally live up to our expectations; good or bad. You attract what you look for and envision. I hope the repairs go smoothly and under your price point. I am overjoyed to see how this part of the challenge has enlightened you.

Thanks to the folks that patiently and genuinely helped me all the way through this. I imagine I'm not the only one who has had some frustration or bad experiences in the past when faced with costly repairs. It's a pretty big deal for someone who is considering a vandwelling lifestyle. Peace!

About a tenth of US, to double that amount of people in the US, resent people who have an alternative to be shackled to a miserable existence. The bottom line is you can't do significantly better than what you are doing now. Rentals or houses, either one, is a rip-off in most cases. Ironically, early release felons are also 10% to 20% in every US State (maybe more in California and/or FL); so they are the 'law' on the streets now (or in their 'holes' shooting microwaves through the windows and walls), like cops used to be. I much prefer cops though rather than neighborhood vigilantes, like before GWB :-(