UCO Lantern It also t

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauratheexplorer

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
I have a 2002 Honda Odyseey and I’m wondering if anyone has used the UCO 3 candle lantern for heating their rig.   I saw a video on it and I am considering purchasing.

Laura: You've asked a good & reasonable question.

I'm with Guy on this.
The candle claim has been floating around the 'net for decades.

I think the risk to reward ratio is excessive. :(

Better to have decent cold weather sleeping gear. It doesn't have to be high-end.
I used to have a very decent cold weather sleeping bag, but lost it in a flood more than a decade ago.
I've never replaced it.
Last winter, I broke down in northern WI/MI right before the Polar Vortex, and spent part of that period sleeping in my van, with just regular blankets, some mylar sheets/"blankets" (pro tip: put one underneath you), good wool socks (including an oversize pair as a 2nd layer), good wool watchcap, and lots of layers.
Lowest temp inside my van during that period was -11F.
A candle would not have been a significant improvement, and would have been very risky, even in a nice holder.

It's great that you're thinking about this now! :)
... cuz... Winter Is Coming. :D

The only thing they will 'heat' is a cup of water...maybe.

Not only is the BTU output very low, (3 candles) but if you seal up your vehicle well enough to hold in that tiny amount of heat, you end up with some interior air pollution. 

Plus the candles for the UCO are somewhat expensive (cost varies but figure $3 to $7 for 3 candles burned per night) AND cleaning out the old wax, dealing with the springs, etc, gets old really fast. You sure don't want to be doing that every day all winter long. 

In a nutshell and for future reference, just say NO to candles for vehicle heating unless it is a real emergency situation.

The UCO lantern is nice to have to provide some soft light on a pleasant evening sitting alone or with a couple of friends at a picnic table, but it is not a vehicle heater.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have several wool blankets which I’m going to test out as the weather gets colder. My goal is not to be in the cold but I do know it gets cold in the desert at night.

I did some testing on this a number of years ago during a blizzard in a Mercedes 300D using a canned survival candle in the passenger floorboard.

After the test I switched my wool blanket out for a MMS (military modular sleep system) sleeping bag set! Surplus MMS sets are generally available for reasonable prices. I keep a couple sets in each vehicle year around!

If I used it often I’d have my Wiggys https://www.wiggys.com/ bag with me! It’s much warmer and way higher quality!

Another easy way to keep warm is to put a Nalgene bottle of boiling water in a boot sock and put it in the bottom of your bag/bed! If you have the ability to boil water this turns a cold night into deep sleep!

You probably already know about sleeping in a hoodie, wool socks and a warm hat, but it bears repeating!

I’ve slept in my ski jacket and wool knit hat when caught by an early storm while carrying a summer bag. I had the wrong bag and minimal pad, but it’s only a story to tell later if you think outside the box and use your imagination!

SD

I have a UCO candle lantern, believe me it ain't going to work.

please make sure you have the gear to keep warm and safe without any artificial heat source. artificial heat sources can fail and you MUST be able to stay warm without them.

highdesertranger

Latest posts