Two wheels and four wheels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJ1H

Reaction score
I've mentioned elsewhere that part of my van plan is to bring my Kawasaki KLR650 with me in my travels. I can use the van as my home base and use the bike to explore the general area once I'm there. I call it "moto-glamping."  :D

Who else out there brings a bike along for the ride? Any concerns locking it up at night? How do you deal with carving out precious space in your van for all the riding gear you (hopefully) wear?

I towed my harley in a small enclosed trailer so everything for riding was stored in there. I gave up towing the trailer as it was too much hassle for the amount of riding I did. The trailer made a great garage at night. It was also hard to turn around with a trailer at times some of the two track I go down to camp. Anymore, I am thinking an electric bike on a hitch haul carrier.

Are you going to take it out everytime you stop for a quick night?

No way would I give up precious inside area for a motorcycle, no matter how small.

I bring a 4wheeler.

I am really not concerned about security because I don't go to places I need to worry about it.

as far as riding gear the only thing special I have is a helmet, it doesn't take up much room.

I would like to point out a 4wheeler is much more stable than a 2wheeler. if I fall off my bike something is seriously wrong. therefore I don't need all that protective gear.

highdesertranger

All true! My plan is to install a trailer hitch, then use a motorcycle ramp/carrier that attaches to the receiver. It'll be a little extra length off the back of the van, but no trailer, so it should be easier to carry my bike around. Though I don't have the benefit of a nice enclosed garage, either.

I recently got back into motorcycles after a long absence. I dont intend to travel for fun without it. Because of injuries and having a dog, Im working on attaching a sidecar to the bike. The cargo trailer build into a camper is the current plan. With an electrically raised and lowered bed, I can ride the bike/sidecar up the rear ramp, secure it, then lower the bed over it and not wipe out that floor space. The bed space height isnt ideal with it loaded, but workable. I believe a 6x12 should work for me, and be something my 4runner can handle. Ive driven with trailers quite a lot and dont have much reservation driving or backing them. I was able to turn around on 2 track Forest Service roads in the woods if I could locate a hole in the trees the trailer would fit in. Practice makes trailering much simpler.

I rode my 1947 H-D all over Northern Az on dirt roads, some pretty hairy, and basically lived off the back of it for a good part of a couple years. Nobody told me I couldnt, so I went about it with much joy and enthusiasm, and plan to do much the same with the new (1984) bike. With right setup regarding bike, front end length, and riding ability, I found I could go most places I could in my mostly stock 4wd pickup so long as mud and snow werent part of the equation. Im looking forward to doing more dirt road exploring again when time allows. The H-D big twins certainly arent an ideal dirt road bikes, but its simply that only type bike I have any interest or enthusiasm for, and does all the dirt roading I need to without issue, as well as outstanding on any roads, and easily cross country capable with any load you could realistically put on it.

Ara, my dog/motorcycle/sidecar adventure hero of the moment, doing some of what I miss.

I also find it easier for a dog to ride along on a 4wheeler. I need to dig up some pics. highdesertranger

I usually carry a 150cc Kymco Scooter in my cargo trailer. Great for running into town. It has a little cargo box mounted on the back.
Sometimes I don't even unhook the tow vehicle. I am looking for a smaller standard motorcycle like a Honda Rebel that would have a
top speed over 55 mph and still get 70ish mpg.

I have a 200cc street licensed dual sport on a trailer hitch ramp on a 25 ft Class C. I can legally ride pavement anywhere, and ride trails.
Riding gear doesn't take up much room, a dual sport helmet, a "ballistic" jersey for chest, spine, shoulders, and elbows protection, knee and shin protectors, and heavy demolition gloves. I everyday wear safety toe boots (AR670-1 compliant). I also have up to the knee rigid motocross boots for more sketchy off road riding.
With the motorcycle I have explored a few areas that I would not have driven the motorhome, with the ability to pull over most anywhere interesting. I rode up Tioga Pass just to get to the top and turn around, and did the June Lake and Mammoth Lake loops last summer. From Parker Shea Road BLM, I rode up to an old mining area.
I also hike to explore an area for balanced activity.
I don't stay anywhere that security would be a concern nor do I try to get places that are off the beaten path.
With the ramp I do lose some departure angle. I watch for drag marks on the pavement and take a different entrance or approach. In Pahrump, the entrance to Smith's by the Taco Bell is a bad place. The entrance on the other side of the fuel pumps is smoother. Up at Tonopah, the entrance to Raleys/DMV is bad if I turn straight in, taking it a wider angle to a flatter approach is smoother.
I prefer two wheels over four. A four wheeler doesn't have the same feel to me and I love that two wheel feel. The 200 is not heavy, so at slow speed it is not difficult to balance. When I was young I had read about Trials competitions, where the objective is not speed, but moving through a tight off road course without putting a foot down. I was impressed by that then, and it has stuck with me. On my fat tire pedal bike I practice riding at very, very slow speed. When that becomes difficult to do, I will rethink two over four.

I wanted to get a KLR650 for day trips and carry it on a hitch receiver carrier on the back of my RV. But the bike is 400+ pounds plus a carrier strong enough for such a bike ways another 100 pounds. That's over 500 pounds and my tongue weight limit is 350 lbs for my particular RV. So I would have had to get a 200cc like Wayne49 mentioned. Instead I found an 87 Samurai in good shape that I tow behind my RV. It has come in handy as I started workamping in bad weather.

Anyway, my point is, see what your weight limits are, including your tongue weight limit on your trailer hitch receiver, and maybe you can find a carrier and a bike that weigh within the limits. Seems like the ideal way to bring a bike.

Samurais are good. I almost bought one that was parked on W Basin in Pahrump a couple of years ago. I did not like the looks of the undercarriage and the ask price was too high for the shape it was in.
In the past four years I have seen a few Samurais (and Sidekicks, aka Geo Trackers) as toads. I had an open Tracker back in the 90s. It was a blast.

My Samurai is an 87 tintop that was (reportedly) in one family since new. It's in great shape, including the undercarriage, and all stock except for the radio. That's why I went ahead an bought it (and I had to pay a little more for its condition, but that's to be expected). It barely goes 55 on the highway unless I have a tailwind, the ride is awful, the road to Scaddan Wash in Quartzsite tries to flip me over, and it's the worst daily driver ever. That said, I love it and I smile every time I drive it. It's the only reason I keep my motorhome. Sometimes I think of selling both and trying to find a small enough trailer that I can tow with my 2004 Tacoma that I have in storage in Ohio. Because my Tacoma is awesome and I miss it terribly. And it's in perfect shape. I'm babbling.

Jake babbling is ok here. in fact go to the "Newcomers corner" and babble us up an intro. highdesertranger

I have a large Ebike with Fat Tires I bring with me. It's not as heavy but It's as big as a larger Dirt Bike. I had to get a motorcycle carrier for my hitch to carry it. The PPE (Personal Protection Equipment) is the same I would wear while riding a bicycle so the space it takes up is minimal.

I pull an open trailer with a 250cc quad and a 68 Trail 90. A quad is the only way to ride most of the trails in the desert because many trails run in sandy washes. The old Trail 90 is super light and pretty quick with a 140cc engine, and it's plated for the street. It gets used mostly as a grocery getter.

KJ1H, I have a 1993 Dutchmen 28' class A and I built a rack to carry my 650 Suzuki Boulevard motorcycle on a rack on the front. We used it at Quartzsite last month.

Attachments

• IMG_20200122_095929~2_1_1.jpg
    IMG_20200122_095929~2_1_1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
JakeHoster said:
I wanted to get a KLR650 for day trips and carry it on a hitch receiver carrier on the back of my RV. But the bike is 400+ pounds plus a carrier strong enough for such a bike ways another 100 pounds. That's over 500 pounds and my tongue weight limit is 350 lbs for my particular RV. So I would have had to get a 200cc like Wayne49 mentioned. Instead I found an 87 Samurai in good shape that I tow behind my RV. It has come in handy as I started workamping in bad weather.

Anyway, my point is, see what your weight limits are, including your tongue weight limit on your trailer hitch receiver, and maybe you can find a carrier and a bike that weigh within the limits. Seems like the ideal way to bring a bike.

Only 350 lbs on an RV? Bummer. My van came with no hitch installed, which leaves me free to choose and install one rated for the weight I want to carry. I've picked one out rated for 600 lbs, which should work for the KLR plus the weight of the carrier itself.

"which leaves me free to choose and install one rated for the weight I want to carry."

that's not how it works.

your van is rated to carry and tow a certain amount of weight. the hitch does not change that. you cannot choose, it is what it is.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
your van is rated to carry and tow a certain amount of weight.  the hitch does not change that.  you cannot choose,  it is what it is.

If your van is a 1/2-ton and depending on what else you will be carrying, 450+lbs. on the back will probably require upgrades to your rear suspension.

I've been pushing the limit with 300 lbs. on the back of my 1/2-T. Add in the inconvenience of not having access to the rear doors, a trailer may make more sense than a carrier. But then if your travel plans means you will be parking the van in one place most of the time and using the bike for most travel, then you would be OK.

here is one reason why I prefer 4 wheels over 2,

126.JPG

135.JPG

I can also carry all kinds of gear and can tow a small trailer.  on top of that the places I frequent in AZ,  NV,  OR,  and even CA allow you to drive on the paved roads to get into and out of town.

highdesertranger

Attachments

• 126.JPG
    126.JPG
    244.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 135.JPG
    135.JPG
    285.7 KB · Views: 6
KJ1H said:
I've mentioned elsewhere that part of my van plan is to bring my Kawasaki KLR650 with me in my travels. I can use the van as my home base and use the bike to explore the general area once I'm there. I call it "moto-glamping."  :D

Who else out there brings a bike along for the ride? Any concerns locking it up at night? How do you deal with carving out precious space in your van for all the riding gear you (hopefully) wear?

To answer your questions,
Theft and security - lock, chain, cover and strap. Make it hard and lengthy process to remove bike if on exposed rack. Look at my threads to see my setup. Major factor is staying out of potential problem areas repeatedly. Use City data.com to determine crime in area

I used 6 600lb tie down straps. 4 under the cover and 2 over cover attached to roof + carrier. Extra support. More tied down, more trouble to steal.
Don't have a new pretty Moto to steal. Cover with a worn cover. I painted roofing acrylic on my cover for better sun and weather durability.

Hitch rack is the most efficient method.
To boost capacity, reinforce suspension (add leafs, air bags and or shocks), hitch area and or add support bars from frame to carrier which also makes the rack more stable.
Replace straps every year as sun fading will weaken them.

Extra space storage on roof. I built a full roof, plywood compartment bolted to the roof. :thumbsup:
Great place to easily mount solar panels. 
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Another option that I contemplated was tall Rubbermaid totes between Moto and back door.

Check out this guy's setup which loaded his Moto in his van.

Trailer is an option but with the downsides of costs- license, tires, fuel economy loss and loss of manueverability. Gain space of course.

I called it Moto touring with a mobile Basecamp.
PM should you have any specific questions or experiences that you would care to share.
Welcome to the brotherhood.