Two vans - decisions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mothercoder

Reaction score
I'm considering two vans and not sure which way to go. 

One is a 1999 Ford Econoline E350 high top extended conversion with 130k miles on it.  It has a tow package and the power to tow if I should want to add a cargo trailer.  Good shape.  The owner has detailed all the things that might be wrong with it and none of them are major.  He is firm at $3k

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/5988311719.html

The second is 2002 Dodge Ram high top conversion with 70k miles on it.  No tow package and with the V6 and less weight, it wouldn't be a great choice for towing.  Price is $4k and I haven't tested how firm they are on the price.  While it's very unusual to find something with miles this low, I'm trying not to be suspicious since I drive a 1997 Sentra with 52k miles on it.  

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/5990550443.html

Thoughts would be appreciated.

dodge

I cant stand fords front end anyway plus it looks like its used for cruising elementary schools with that rattle bomb job

dodge will tow a good balanced 2-3k just fine...what are you wanting to tow?

bardo said:
dodge

I cant stand fords front end anyway plus it looks like its used for cruising elementary schools with that rattle bomb job

dodge will tow a good balanced 2-3k just fine...what are you wanting to tow?

LOL  Well, I would have it re-painted as I'm not fond of the black. 

Towing:  most likely just a cargo carrier for some of my large "extras" like a 4' folding table, screen room, generator, extra water.

From personal experience, I had a Dodge Dakota with the 3.9 and I never felt like it was a great running engine. I bought it used with 30k miles on it and drove it to 110k miles. It never broke down or gave me any issues but it always felt under powered and never sounded completely right to me and was a pig on gas. A quick google search on them and they don't get much praise, but they also don't say avoid them either, general consensus seems to be they are an ok engine, underpowered, pigs on gas, but for the most part will get you where you are going.

But I also don't like the color of the Ford. I can't imagine it wouldn't get considerably hotter inside and make it that much more uncomfortable.

So, it's a tough call, I guess I'd recommend driving both and see which one feels better to you.

mothercoder said:
LOL  Well, I would have it re-painted as I'm not fond of the black. 

Towing:  most likely just a cargo carrier for some of my large "extras" like a 4' folding table, screen room, generator, extra water.

yeah that's nothing.

got to wonder why they spray painted it too. pretty hack IMO.

bardo said:
yeah that's nothing.

got to wonder why they spray painted it too. pretty hack IMO.
I agree on the paint job.  Looks really bad.

Ford looks like somebody was thinking 'zombie response vehicle' there is a market for that crap. The bed setup is atrocious
The Dodge, well, 3.9, not a bad motor, not a great one

mothercoder said:
I'm considering two vans and not sure which way to go. 
One is a 1999 Ford Econoline E350 high top extended conversion with 130k miles on it.
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/5988311719.html
The second is 2002 Dodge Ram high top conversion with 70k miles on it.
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/5990550443.html
Thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi Mother - of course just my own preference here, but if I was really going to live full time in it, (since I'm no longer a spring chicken), it would need to be an extended hightop. For me, the added length could enable some kind of shower/potty space, along with a real bed. Try spending a few hours at home never standing up. The additional under-body space for things like batteries & water tanks is also much better. The standard height/length E350 that I have now doesn't fit into many of the newer car washes & parking garages in my area anyway (I'm still S&B).
As for these 2 current options, the Ford is of the generation that sometimes has a nasty habit of spitting out spark plugs, although I personally suspect those reports may have been, either exaggerated or sometimes caused by DIY mechanical work.
As for the V6, if you plan on mostly level driving along the east coast without a trailer, it would be fine. But a moderate-sized V6 regularly pulling a 5000lb van + a trailer in the dry air of the Rockies or Sierras might not be the best choice.
DaveM.

Yeah, this is not an easy choice. I like the extended Ford for the room but not willing to spend $1000 for a paint job and I'm not a "zombie apocalypse" kinda gal.

I won't be towing much. Like I said, at most a cargo carrier with some of the "extras" that won't comfortably fit in the van. I plan to make the build simple and lightweight and may use the polyiso foam & mesh for some of the build. I do need a full bed to be comfortable. I will not want a bathroom - just my potty box to pull out when needed. But I do need enough cabinets for kitchen, bath, clothing, tools and enough counter space to cook a meal. I do plan on putting the passenger seat on a swivel base and creating a workspace for myself that way.

As far as driving goes, it will be a mix of west coast, desert and mountains. I'm a Colorado girl and I've driven the Rockies in a packed 4 cyl car. It's a little slow going but doable.

Being that my other vehicle (the one I'll be towing my 5W with) is an F250 I don't have any issues with the front end like someone else but I also take very good care of my vehicles and I am looking at 160K on my 2000 truck. I would also be more interested in the better towing capability, high top and more interior space of the Ford.

I repainted an entire horse trailer myself with a sander and a paint sprayer...cost me less than $100 to do and I had NO experience. It would be an easy project if you went that way.

DuneElliot said:
Being that my other vehicle (the one I'll be towing my 5W with) is an F250 I don't have any issues with the front end like someone else but I also take very good care of my vehicles and I am looking at 160K on my 2000 truck. I would also be more interested in the better towing capability, high top and more interior space of the Ford.

I repainted an entire horse trailer myself with a sander and a paint sprayer...cost me less than $100 to do and I had NO experience. It would be an easy project if you went that way.

"Easy" is relative.  I'm 62, short, not all that handy and not as spry as I once was.  LOL

mothercoder said:
What is your reasoning on these over the others?  I really don't want to have to get into doing all the insulation.  Plus I know many don't like the windows on the conversions but I prefer them.

the gm 4.8/5.3 is probably the best all around engine ever made,good power,good mpg,and as you can see there are no shortage of express vans so parts are easy

the conversion van insulation is better then nothing but thats about it

Gary68 said:
the gm 4.8/5.3 is probably the best all around engine ever made,good power,good mpg,and as you can see there are no shortage of express vans so parts are easy

the conversion van insulation is better then nothing but thats about it

True re the insulation but at least it's finished.  :)

My carpenter/handy man convinced me. I am going to search for an extended cargo van. High tops very hard to come by and I don't want to run into issues of not having enough time to get this done properly. I'll be looking at an '03 Chevy Express 3500 extended with 3 months left on a new engine warranty. This could work.

Gary68 said:
i wouldnt want either one,if going for standard van i would pick something here
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/search/cto?query=chevy+express&sort=date

if you can i would hold tight until a true hightop came around

I wouldn't want either one as well. I have never had luck with Fords in that vintage range, so cannot recommend them. The Dodge would be OK for light duty, but if you plan on building it into a camper van, it will always be carrying a load of some weight at that point, and the engine does not have a reputation as having enough power.
OTOH, the Chevy's in Gary's link would be much more appealing to me. But then again, I'm biassed. :p

Ballenxj said:
I wouldn't want either one as well. I have never had luck with Fords in that vintage range, so cannot recommend them. The Dodge would be OK for light duty, but if you plan on building it into a camper van, it will always be carrying a load of some weight at that point, and the engine does not have a reputation as having enough power.
OTOH, the Chevy's in Gary's link would be much more appealing to me. But then again, I'm biassed. :p

So the two vans in question have been struck from consideration.  Never let it be said that I let grass grow under my feet!!

I'm looking at one of the Chevy's from Gary's link tomorrow.  I think it would work well.  I do like the light that comes from more windows but I guess I'll just open all the doors when I need some light.