1st Time Van Plunge - 1999 Chevy Express Question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nberna19

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to make the full time plunge and need help with a vehicle I'm looking at buying. It's a 1999 Chevy Express 1500 V6 4.3L with 53k on it. The original owner is selling it, an older gentleman, and he used it for doing some handyman repairs before retiring (hence the low miles). It looks to be in pretty excellent shape. I plan on getting it checked out by a mechanic. So barring any deal breakers, quick question or two for everyone.

It has a fiberglass high top (a high top being an absolute must for me), so this isn't a debate on whether I should get a V8 or higher payload. The question is whether or not this vehicle in particular will suite my needs. I plan on doing a full conversion with solar, kitchenette, cabinets, etc. but have no intentions on towing anything. Will a 1500 hold up for this type on conversion? Also, I will be out in the Pacific NW, so I will be in mountains at times. Will this be a real struggle with a V6 conversion inching its way up a mountain? Would I be doing any real damage to the transmission or engine? Not very concerned with mpg's for this discussion. Would be most interested in hearing from ppl with similar conversions and V6 engines with 1st hand knowledge.

Thanks for any help!

you are asking for opinions so here's mine,

with a 1/2 ton V-6 you are going to have to watch your weight constantly. it will be hard on the brakes, tires, suspension, and engine. what size tires are on it?

highdesertranger

I'm not sure what size tires. Do you have any 1st hand experience with a similar size V6 engine carrying around a similar weight load in a conversion van?

There are reasons most full conversions are built on a 1 ton or 3/4 ton chassis. A full build and your stuff will probably have you overweight unless built out using ultra-light methods and are a minimalist. With a tiny engine it won't pull hills very easily and good luck slowing down on the way down a mountain with those small brakes. I've seen some 3/4 ton vans fully built that drag their tails (a lot lower in the back) from being overloaded.

It seems you have you're mind made up already so good luck.

Don't have my mind made up at all, that's why I've posted on the forum eliciting others' advice. I am however interested in first hand experiences ppl have had w/ conversion builds on half ton V6 vans as opposed to the theoretical

The opinions given above are not theoretical. They know what a 1/2 vehicle can carry and stop. As said the brakes, frame, shocks are lighter in a 1/2 ton. The reason you were asked about size tires is they to are rated for weight. Overload and you risk failure. Often you can not go up in tire size so you are locked into a very reduced carrying weight or dangerous travel.

I've owned 2 V6s & many one tons. The V6s were way lighter duty but got worse milage & I only mention that as thew were working harder just driving with no load as I know you don't care about milage. You can add air bags in the rear but the drive line is lighter duty.

@firtree, you're right, perhaps they're not theoretical. Instead what I should have said is that what I'm most interested in hearing are 1st hand accounts of ppl using a half ton V6 for a conversion and what their experiences were/are. Nonetheless, thanks for the input

That engine will more than deal with the task at hand.
The weight of your own build will determine how well the brakes/springs will deal with it.

If it is what you want in a van, keep a close eye on the GVW by weighing it as you build @ a local scale (like a sand/gravel place or truck stop.)

The couriers that used to move mail and documents for various firms beat the snot out of those vans.
They would last 160,000-180,000 miles before the motors were cooked.
(Not on synthetic oil...and I meant the guys BEAT on them.)

Good MPG. Plenty of power for normal use.

We had a Turtle Top with stove/closet/slept four.
6 cylinder Ford E150. When I bought it, it drove like an overloaded spineless jelly fish.
Two things made a huge difference in that van.
1. I ran a wider set of rims with stiff sidewall tires, (wider than stock rubber) on all four.
2. Mine was LOADED with tools and using a set of air-shocks in the rear, with high quality gas shocks on the front made it a completely different vehicle on the highway. The wind loads no longer affected it...and as the load increased, you could add more air in the rear. Mine weighed more than it was supposed to. 6300-7000 if I remember right...depending on which tools I had in it.
That van has pretty good brakes on it. Stay within the GVW it is made for or close to it.
Biggest complaint without the mods I talked about is going to be wind-blow when encountering tractor trailers on the HWY

nberna19 said:
@firtree, you're right, perhaps they're not theoretical. Instead what I should have said is that what I'm most interested in hearing are 1st hand accounts of ppl using a half ton V6 for a conversion and what their experiences were/are. Nonetheless, thanks for the input

Can I get some advice on possible purchase of 1998 GMC Savana 1500 hightop?
Thanks