Two is one, one is none

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optimistic Paranoid

Reaction score
That's a common saying among the people who train seriously for self-defense with firearms.  It's attributed to the legendary trainer Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch.  It's meant to emphasize the importance of carrying a backup gun, spare mags, etc.  Because anything can fail, and thanks to Murphy, it will do so at the worst possible time.

Recently, one of our members flew from Los Angeles to Dallas to buy a van.  For various reasons, she did not find the van was as advertised when she saw it in person, and she decided against buying it.  She then discovered that the airline had charged her only credit card EIGHT times, and the card company had frozen the card while they investigated.

Long story short, rather than being able to fly right home - which she desperately needed to do because of a sick cat - she was stuck in a not particularly nice motel for a week, running up bills as she grew increasingly frantic.  In short, the week from Hell.

If you depend on a credit card, especially for emergencies (and whether or not you should is a subject of heated debate here, but that's another thread)  you really need *TWO** credit cards, cause two is one and one is none.

That firearms thought shines a new light on the concept of revolving credit and automatic bill payers.  : )  What caliber atm machine do you prefer?  Ha ha!

I'm sorry.  I know you were trying to be helpful and serious.  I try to contain myself but sometimes I get away.

Agree on keeping at least 2 credit cards, for just that reason. Or, a credit and a debit card. Some kind of fall back for emergencies and murphy.

I hate the way credit cards accept many charges and then lock you out while they "investigate"

A couple years ago we had 57 fraudulent charges to "Facebook advertising" on our credit card for about $500 to $600 each.   We had a high limit on the card ($33,000) but this used it all up and the card was declined at a restaurant for a $29 meal.   Since I keep a zero balance I was livid.  Had to pay cash.   Why the credit card company allowed those 57 charges to go though when we had no history of ever doing anything with Facebook is beyond me.

Two is one, one is none.

I only carry one credit card, and my debit card. I paid off and closed all my credit lines cept one a long while ago... My American Express Gold. Love it.. I'm insured for just about everything.. (rental cars, theft, accidents, emergency medical expenses while traveling.....)  Keeps me frugal cause its a charge card, not a credit card.. (Balance has to be Zero at the end of every month, BUT incase of an emergency and you haveto charge several grand on it, they will let you pay it off like a normal credit card)

I *NEVER* use my phone to buy anything. And when I do buy on line.. If they don't accept paypal, I don't buy it. Keeps the risk of fraud at a minimum.

i refuse to use credit so careful planning and a backup plan to my backup plan

I have low interest Visas from 2 different credit unions that I pay off every month. With a total of $4k limit they're my emergency repair fund.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
That's a common saying among the people who train seriously for self-defense with firearms.  It's attributed to the legendary trainer Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch.  It's meant to emphasize the importance of carrying a backup gun, spare mags, etc.  Because anything can fail, and thanks to Murphy, it will do so at the worst possible time.

That phrase has also been adopted by preppers, survivalists, and bush crafters. What happened to that person may have been prevented by carrying an extra card, but I'm amazed that the airline didn't take care of a problem created by a careless employee? They should have been able to look at their records and correct the problem. Keeping extra cash would have been another option.

I'm definitely a two is one kind of person...I'm a modest prepper, but moving out of a large four bedroom house into a 27' fifth wheel meant I had to downsizie some of the emergency preps I had. I still managed to squeeze in enough in to keep me comfortable for a modest period of time.

I also have two credit cards and debit card (which I never use due to less fraud coverage than CCs. I've relied on it a handful of times when there were fraudulent charges on my regular card.

Latest posts