Two Can Sleep in a Subaru... Car Camping

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Born2Explore

Reaction score
THIS is what got my wife and I started on changing the way we think, and began our journey towards buying our 2004 GMC Campervan.

So in March 2017, we planned a last minute wedding anniversary trip to Colorado, Arizona, and Utah. It is also worth noting that in August of the previous year we had bought a brand new, fully loaded, 2016 Subaru Crosstrek. So we had a reliable car, a fresh tax return in the bank, and local family members ready to take care of our house and dog. We were excited, and I quickly began planning. We had 9 days of vacation and we were going to make the most of it. 

After watching a few of Bob's videos and reading on Forums about people (maybe even some of you) camping/living out of their car, we decided that we would save some money and camp in our car! I bought some supplies, made some measurements, and started setting our Crosstrek up for the long trip from Florida to Arizona. 

The three biggest changes we made were the following...
-Rooftop cargo carrier, $100 used from craigslist [SportRack SR7016]
-Side window visors for all 4 windows, $150 from Subaru
-Custom built sleeping platform from left over wood and screws, $8 on hinges
Measurements.JPG
Up.JPG
Down.JPG
Bed.JPG

And this was the end result!
Parked.JPG

I can honestly say that after the 5,200 total miles and the 26 hour drive home, it was absolutely one of the greatest experiences my wife and I have ever had! 

To those of you who are already out there traveling/living out of you car, I say THANK YOU! For all of your ideas, your encouragement, and your support via YouTube, Forums, etc.. 
To those of you who are browsing this forum WISHING you were out there traveling/living, I say WHY? Why aren't you out there? What is holding you back?
To those of you who are just looking for (or forced by circumstances to look for) a cheaper way to live, I say ITS POSSIBLE! Take what you have and make it work for you. It does not have to be expensive! 

My wife and I made a video showing the platform we built, and showing how we were able to find and camp at FREE campsites in Colorado. We spent 4 of the 8 nights in our car sleeping in spots with amazing views... this sparked the desire in us to be radical and set goals in order to get out there and travel more! 
If you're interested in learning more, check it out! 

Attachments

• Measurements.JPG
    Measurements.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Up.JPG
    Up.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
  • Down.JPG
    Down.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • Bed.JPG
    Bed.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
  • Parked.JPG
    Parked.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
It's nice to see another Subaru camper! Looks like you had a great experience and nice video as well. Thanks for sharing!

Van Man Dave said:
Love it!  We sleep 2 in the Subaru all the time, but we put all but the sleeping gear in the other Subaru!

;)

Nice! Subarus are such nice little cars! We started with a 2001 Forester, then jumped up to the 2016 Crosstrek w/ Eyesight. Did you guys have to build a platform of any kind for yours?

Born2Explore said:
Nice! Subarus are such nice little cars! We started with a 2001 Forester, then jumped up to the 2016 Crosstrek w/ Eyesight. Did you guys have to build a platform of any kind for yours?

Yes they sure are. I really like those new Crosstreks!  I'm on my third Forester now, love em!

We removed the back seats and built a platform 6-1/2 feet long. The bed in the Subaru is actually slightly bigger than the bed in my van!

Here's a few pictures of the platform, taken with a potato  ;)

20170428_065125.jpg

20170429_194910.jpg

20170429_195012.jpg

:D

Attachments

• 20170429_194910.jpg
    20170429_194910.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 20170429_195012.jpg
    20170429_195012.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 20170428_065125.jpg
    20170428_065125.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
Van Man Dave said:
Yes they sure are. I really like those new Crosstreks!  I'm on my third Forester now, love em!

We removed the back seats and built a platform 6-1/2 feet long. The bed in the Subaru is actually slightly bigger than the bed in my van!

Here's a few pictures of the platform, taken with a potato  ;)

Platform looks solid! Good job!

Van Man Dave said:
Right back at ya!  I love seeing folks in the Subarus. Safe travels;)

Thanks for sharing, a Subaru is on option we are considering for car camping and this gives us some ideas.

FreeAndEasy said:
Thanks for sharing, a Subaru is on option we are considering for car camping and this gives us some ideas.
And, they are way more capable than people give them credit for. I love my 93 Legacy AWD.  :D
26 second video. ---> 

I agree... great basecamp for backcountry exploring with a Yakima box on top for backpacks and mudroom stuff, getting into and out of sight in some great locations. Watched your 26 second video... DAAAAAMMM! :)

Scotty Moore said:
It's nice to see another Subaru camper! Looks like you had a great experience and nice video as well. Thanks for sharing!

I've spent many a night in my old subaru crosstrek, lay down the seats bust out the air mattress and sleep like a baby.... I've got an outback now, it's like a hotel in there.....

Attachments

• 20151113_152526_resized_2.jpg
    20151113_152526_resized_2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
My current daily driver is a 2015 WRX. Extremely fun car to drive but not exactly the best choice to live out of!

19510608_10212193584610788_3004350691921067327_n.jpg