TV antenna

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TALLMAN said:
Do TV antennas work any more.

Yes. Broadcasters are putting out a digital signal instead of an analog one, and the tv set must either be natively digital, or have one of those conversion boxes hooked up, but they're still broadcasting on the same frequencies (more or less, channels 2 through 5 are no longer used, and many stations have moved up to the uhf band) but the same old antennas still work just fine.

Regards
John

Btw, station ids no longer necessarily mean anything. Where I live, the local Fox station, which was on channel 23, is now broadcasting on the old channel 7, but still calling itself Fox 23. The local PBS has moved from channel 17 to channel 40 something, but still calls itself WMHT 17.

Don't worry about it, the digital tuner handles all this seamlessly and invisibly for you.

Regards
John

yes they work as OPar mentioned, if you haven't bought your TV it should be digital or you have to use more power and space with a converter box. I bought a small flat scree TV that runs on 12 volt with a cigarette lighter adapter however if you look on the power boxes on some sets they have 12volt others have 9 or anywhere in between. The ones that have 12 volt on them can be run directly off you battery the others have to use a little more power running through an inverter. I bought a set of rabbit ears not the kind that plug in for extra range as I was worried about consuming more power again. I have to move them around and most of the time I set them on the roof. I get reception when I am close to towns but not everywhere and usually not that many channels but I like remote areas so I expect that and when I get reception it is a bonus.