Tunnel between cab and cap.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
closeanuf said:
It might help if we knew what vehicle we are trying to help you with.
Why I want a van, but I cant bring myself to part with my 4X4.  I made the big commitment today - another 40,000 miles in the pickup. The new tires are great though, 10 ply. Yum. 
My vehicle is a 2004 Chevrolet Silverado crew cab with a snug top topper (fiberglass). The snug top has a boot on it that is smaller than the back window of the truck. Could you get a boot as large as the back window? I could get through a hole that big. Or at least reach through and rummage around back there. 

question two - what is the best way to lock your tailgate? right now I can lock my topper, but the tailgate can still be opened and pretty much anybody could crawl in there. I was thinking of mounting a hasp or something to prevent the tailgate from opening. Ideas?? - Crofter

I have a sliding window in both the cab and camper top of the Ford Ranger I'm buying. Still deciding whether it would be OK to put my big dog in the back if I can get the AC to go through. Would the accordion boot work in that case? I think he'd be more comfortable than in the passengers seat with the two little ones and i won't have an extended cab.

Great thread. I've got a 97 Dodge 1 ton 4x4 dully with a Leer sloped fiberglass cap. I recently installed a carpet kit in it. Now my next project is going to be matching both windows up and installing a rubber seal . Can't wait get it done.

I am told by my landlord, an old time camper...that they use to place a bicycle tire between the back of the cab and the cap windows and inflate it....this way both Windows could be open and both compartments could be cooled and heated. He also mentioned something about using Vaseline to prevent either from being marked as they moved. Don't know if this helps, but seems like it would likely work.

several problems with inflatable boots. first, any type of dirt/sand on them and they act like sandpaper on your paint. putting something like Vaseline on them only makes it worse. second, changing of temperature or altitude causes the boot to expand and contract. this will actually cause the boot to fall out(contract) or expand and pop. this is why they have fallen out of favor. yes I tried an air boot so I speak from experience. highdesertranger