Try a campground with amenities for a break from boondocking

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadStar66

Reaction score
Even if you mostly camp dry on federal land for free, drop into a campground with amenities like shower, flush toilet, electricity occasionally to get a break from the boonie grind. I find access to electricity expecially allows me to do some projects that solar power can't handle and being close to a town for a few days lets me stock up and have a few hot meals someone else cooks.

I generally do the RV park thing about once a month when I just want to get the chores out of the way, laundry, dump and fill, propane, groceries, a meal I didn't cook, gas and a long hot shower instead of the Navy shower three times a week. I may even get to talk to a neighbor for a little to get that human contact that I sometimes need. I am pretty much a hermit otherwise.

RoadStar66 said:
... to get a break from the boonie grind. 

See, now there's the difference. I don't find boondocking to be any kind of a grind at all!

I don't find boondocking a grind in any way although I can see how some could.

One person's groove is another person's rut.I like a break about once every week or two.

owl said:
I don't find boondocking a grind in any way although I can see how some could.

The last RTR was about all the boondocking I've done. From having to brave the rush to the porta-poties following every staged event I can see I'm not the only one that has yet to master what Bob refers to in every mobile home video as the 'so how to you poop' question.

I do campgrounds when I'm at the Pacific coast (since they're about the only legal places there to camp) and sometimes during my summer travels. I can put up with tightly packed conditions for the sake of hot showers and a place to toss trash. I move around often so supplies are usually along the way.

When I really want a break from primitive camping I get a hotel room. Showers, climate control, electricity and free wifi. Woo-hoo! Decadence.

I'm not in an RV so rather than a campground I like to find a motel about once or twice a month. I plug-in all portable batteries, Laptop, power pack, power tool batteries, electric razor, etc, and I trim my hair/nails, do some laundry (if available) and walk to the nearby restaurant. In the right location I'll ask if I can plug in and charge up my house batteries to an outside outlet.

I'm saying Motel, not a Hotel, as I want cheap and to park 10 feet away from my room. I search to find a place that is less busy, clean and are ok with me arriving at 8 AM through 11 AM checkout the next day. If you're not afraid to ask you'll be pleased with how these smaller motels will accommodate you. Nice people and always know where the best food in town is too.

I'm new to all this for sure but am finding it's relaxing making up your own rules for how you live your life.

Your budget will dictate how much RV parking you can do, or how many motel nights are OK. If money isn't an issue, you have alot of freedom to go wherever you want, for whatever time frame you decide.

I do alot of State Park camping, but not much boondocking, because of the size of the rig we have, I would love to head somewhere for couple of weeks on BLM land and be somewhat self sufficient.

I'm in New Mexico right now doing the state park thing here and there. Bought the yearly pass and the electric sites for $4 a night are quite nice. Most seem to have decent hot showers too.