TruckFridge group buys

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matlock

Reaction score
Picked up a TruckFridge TF51 on a group-buy for $449 delivered. Ideal size for one person.

I understand that these are on sale through the summer by TruckFridge from several sites. I'll see if I can find some if anyone is interested.

From the TruckFridge site,
The TF51 model offers the best of electronic technology. Featuring a highly efficiency Danfoss/Secop compressor, an energy saving function (ECO), a turbo cooling function (MAX) and multifunction electronic thermostat allowing for easy temperature control with minimal energy consumption. The electronic AC/DC circuit board allows for both 12-24 VDC or 115-230 VAC
operation. Switching between DC and AC is automatic. Standard three level battery protection. 1 year warranty.

http://truckfridge.com/tf51.html

Model TF51
Size-WxHxL 13-3/4"W x 20-1/2"H x23"L
Gross Capacity 2.0 cu ft, (50 liter capacity)
Voltage DC 12-24 Volt / AC 115-230 Volt/50/60 Hz

The TF51 is made by Indel-B
tf51.png

Attachments

• tf51.png
    tf51.png
    134.1 KB
Indeed, with no tax or shipping to my state plus 100 off the price it's $175 savings and standard 1 yr warranty. Pretty good for a Danfoss.

I'd be interested if there are any available at that price. A quick search didn't turn anything up; is this online?

They offered 3 different sizes. This was the largest portable available. Smaller ones are cheaper. And to your question, it's worth a try if your considering one.

Just installed the TF-130 in my van. Doesn't apply to the group buy, but I can say I'm very happy with it. Best $700 my off-grid beverage palette has ever been gifted.

I am calling tomorrow to place an order if the promo is still in effect. I will report back with the results!

I've been using my TF51 for about 6 months now, I guess it's time for a report. Overall it's performed flawlessly and is relatively quiet. But minor problems I've seen with all 3 compressor fridges I've owned is worse with this one.

1) None of the thermometers on any of my fridges have been totally accurate. They were slow to change and so they tended to stay on too long or to short, getting too hot too cold. The TF51 is by far the worst. It's digital reading changes extremely slowly, even after it's been on for an hour it will still read the same thing. Essentially it's worthless. Fortunately there is any easy solution I just bought an indoor/outdoor thermometer at Walmart and put the outdoor unit in a Ziploc bag and put it inside the TF51. Now I know exactly the temperature is inside it and I regulate it myself. I'd rather do that myself because I can do better power management that way, making it come on first thing in the morning and late in the afternoon while there is still sun. When the sun sets, it's at its coldest. That minimizes total power use and total draw off the battery at night.

2) the Area above the compressor never gets very cold on most fridges but its worse on the TF51, it's pretty warm there. The wall opposite of the compressor is also by far the coldest. I originally put my pops there and they were constantly freezing so I moved them to the wall by the compressor and now they rarely freeze. But, they aren't as cold either.

These are minor problems and overall I'm happy with it and would still recommend it.
Bob

Hmmm. Which of all the units has offered the best temperature control? My vehicle will be unattended a great deal, so I won't be there to play Thermostat during much of the day.

I've owned a Dometic CF25, Whynter 65 quart, and now the TF51. Of all of them, in every way the Whynter has been by far the best. Every little detail on it is better than the others including the digital thermostat and self-regulation. I've had it for 4 years but it's been in storage for probably a total of 1 year--it stays with the trailer when I travel in the van because it's too big to fit in the van.

But I've known too many people whose Whynter's failed so I'm reluctant to recommend them, even though it's been so superior for me.
Bob

on my Engels I just set them and leave them. never play with the thermostat. the one exception is when I use one as a freezer, I will turn it all the down for a day then move the thermostat up a little. once everything is frozen rock hard there is no need to have it turned down all the way. highdesertranger

If this is the wrong place to post this, please let me know.

I am looking to buy a refrigerator for my van but I am not sure of what would be the right size for my van. I have looked at Whynter, Dometic, and TruckFridge but I am not sure which would be the best for my use in my Astro van. Any ideas?

VanGrrl57 :)

VanGrrl57 said:
If this is the wrong place to post this, please let me know.

I am looking to buy a refrigerator for my van but I am not sure of what would be the right size for my van. I have looked at Whynter, Dometic, and TruckFridge but I am not sure which would be the best for my use in my Astro van. Any ideas?

VanGrrl57 :)

The best size fridge is one where you can get all the food in to it that you figure you need to be carrying. That will depend on what you eat and how often you plan on shopping.

For example, I eat fresh veggies, an ample amount of dairy and fresh meat almost exclusively. I probably don't open more than 2 cans of anything a month. I shop, usually, only once a week. I barely get by with a 65 quart Whynter. I also depend on my matching unit set at freezer temps to house my meat and frozen veggies, extra bread etc.

Others get along just great on a 30 quart and shop only every 10 to 14 days because of their personal eating habits.

The best advice I can give is to do a mock up of the INSIDE dimensions of one of the units in cardboard. Then start packing it with the contents of your fridge that you absolutely can't do without. Keep in mind that if you're now buying the family size bottle of ketchup for example, that you can move on down in size to the smallest one you can find. You might have to repack it several times to achieve
good tight packing. Keep in mind that nothing can stick above the top edge of the cardboard so that the lid can be closed.

If you can get it all in one of the larger units, try again with a smaller fridge mock up. When you get to the point where it simply won't fit, move up one size!

Once you've figured out what size you need to have to live comfortably with, then you can figure out where to put it using the outside dimensions.

Almost There said:
 I barely get by with a 65 quart Whynter. I also depend on my matching unit set at freezer temps to house my meat and frozen veggies, extra bread etc.

So you have two 65 quart Whynters?  One as a freezer and one as a fridge?   Because i like the sound of that set up!

Lafnbug said:
I am calling tomorrow to place an order if the promo is still in effect. I will report back with the results!

........Well?
Any luck?
I'm interested in one if the deal is still on!

BTW, can you put ice in them and use as an ice chest when desired or will the ice melt ruin the system?

Almost There said:
 I barely get by with a 65 quart Whynter. I also depend on my matching unit set at freezer temps to house my meat and frozen veggies, extra bread etc.

So you have two 65 quart Whynters?  One as a freezer and one as a fridge?   Because i like the sound of that set up!

Every Road Leads Home said:

Yes, I have two matching units. The temp is completely adjustable so one is set at fridge temp (40 F) and the other at deep freeze (0F).

When I was planning this move to mobile living I thought a lot about what I could and could not do without. I'd experienced life on the road with just an ice cooler before and also put in some time with an RV fridge that had a freezer unit so small you had a choice of a tray of ice cubes and a small container of ice cream or 3 pieces of meat... :rolleyes:

I didn't want to have to live that way ever again.

Also, as a single person, trying to shop for meat was problematic. If you bought a package of chicken breasts, you'd better be prepared to find 4 ways to cook them for 4 nights dinners. Either that or you had to shop at the butcher counter to get 1 of this and 1 of that.

I've also lived my entire adult life buying meat in quantity when it was on sale - it's a hard habit to break and now I don't need to. It's not like having the big deep freeze I had in the s&b but it's better than not having a freezer at all.

I deliberately designed the interior of the van to accommodate 2 units. 1 is under the bed and accessed by a lift panel, the other is on a slide out tray under the kitchen counter.