Truck stop showers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catalekid

Reaction score
Anybody use a truck stop shower?

What is the going rate in 2020 without fuel purchase?

Thank you if you can help.

Former truck driver here.

Going rate is $10-$12.

Love's, Flying J's/Pilot's tend to have the best showers. Clean, remodeled, and they all have free body wash.

They're not cheap, so whenever gyms start allowing showers again they would be a much better option. Can also get a shower built into the van at the rear door that you can take outside if you don't have room in the van like I didn't. There's the portable bag showers too.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. Price is about twice what it was in the early to mid 1980s but I have no problem paying that about once a week.

I usually wash my face and head (very sort hair) in a dish pan every day along with washing the necessary places with a wash rag ..... but there ain't nuthin' like a good hot shower. :)

As a former truck stop Bathroom/shower/laundry engineer (janitor) I always left bathrooms spotless. Because a clean shower meant bigger tips.

catalekid said:
Thanks for the reply. Price is about twice what it was in the early to mid 1980s but I have no problem paying that about once a week.

I usually wash my face and head (very sort hair) in a dish pan every day along with washing the necessary places with a wash rag ..... but there ain't nuthin' like a good hot shower. :)
There's also dry shampoo, they sell it at big stores like Walmart. Just spray the dust into your hair, rub it around, and done. Can do it once or twice before washing it out and it removes all the excess oil.

Love's has stopped letting non-truckers use their showers. Gotta have a rewards card.

Anyway, some truck stop showers are great, with excellent water pressure, truly hot water and good towels. Others lack one or more of those and are therefore disappointing.

I had my first truck stop shower yesterday at a Pilot in Las Vegas. $12.00, spotless showers, towels provided, AWESOME water pressure, and no wait at 10pm. I have to say I was impressed! I had visions of park bathrooms in my mind for some reason, but I was very wrong!

Sleeping in the parking lot was ok too. The constant hum of truck engines was actually like a white noise generator or running a fan in your bedroom, it drowned out the noise of the nearby roads/highway. And the advantage of having security constantly patrolling the parking lot made me feel safe.

MrNoodly said:
Love's has stopped letting non-truckers use their showers. Gotta have a rewards card.

Anyway, some truck stop showers are great, with excellent water pressure, truly hot water and good towels. Others lack one or more of those and are therefore disappointing.
I've been using the Loves in Portland, OR the past few weeks for showers and no one has denied me a shower I had cash to pay for (like all other Loves I've ever been to).

Not sure where you got that information, maybe at just 1 loves with a policy only for that one store?

If anyone is in Torrance/Redondo/ beach cities area of the SoCal area after the lockdown pm me and I’ll tell you about a hidden restroom with secret (free) shower stalls. Not open yet. Or any time soon.

Leica, I laughed... I thought yeah, free shower... for me just $500 in fuel. (I know you said for those in that area). Haha.
Anyways, I run canoes and kayaks across the country. Pilots/flying j’s were the most consistent. You could get a rewards card, but even with just a one ton truck it seemed I could buy fuel cheaper elsewhere pay the $12 and be money ahead. There was a minimum gallons up there around 50. But if you got 15 gallons I believe you could get 1/2 credit... do it twice and you got a shower. And to our friend here that cleaned showers... yes, the clean showers made a person toss a tip their way. A person should feel appreciated!
The pilot in Columbus MT cracked me up... try shaving with a razor with one of those sinks with the automatic turn on where it barely turns on then off again. Love the Montana flying j’s... just don’t like shower curtains. I think my two favorite ones are South Beloit, IL and is it Perrysville, OH. (Basically Toledo).

Hello Everyone,
Loves! Hands down the best in my book. Private bath with shower, sink, toilet. Always very clean and well maintained.
$12 and they provide soap and towels  or you can take your own.

I noticed a comment "loves stopped letting non truckers use their showers, you have to have a Loves reward card"
I just finished a trip into northern michigan, Sept 2020. I used Loves showers in Michigan, Wisconsin, TN, and Iowa with no questions.
They always asked if I had a reward card and I do not.