Truck or van quandary, quagmire, conundrum.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TucsonAZ

Reaction score
So, here's the issue, I have a really nice 1991 F-250, it's just what I want, limited slip 4:10 rear end, 5 speed ZF S5-42, inline six, 117,000, 5th wheel hitch, great truck.

The issue is, the truck isn't what I need for traveling, if the F were an E this thing would be near my ideal rig. It isn't an extended cab and it isn't 4x4 though I don't really need the latter.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide if I should keep hunting for a van or attempt to do something with this. I could weld something together to enclose the bed and give me space over the cab, I could even pop out the rear window to make it a pass through.

I could build something to slide into the back of it and leave it otherwise functional and stock.

I could pull the bed off and build it up like a cutaway.

There is the option of buying a slide in but I have some health issues that don't allow for that and I think they're an awkward compromise for my needs.

Any thoughts would be helpful, I would use it for longer distances, more rugged terrain, ideal stealth camping. Should I seek out a van or work with this since it's a solid platform to start with?

Probably you can sell this truck for more than a van would cost you--and you wouldn't have the massive amount of welding, etc to do. I also think the van would be more stealthy than your converted truck.

PastTense said:
Probably you can sell this truck for more than a van would cost you--and you wouldn't have the massive amount of welding, etc to do. I also think the van would be more stealthy than your converted truck.

I agree with all of that but finding an E-250 or 350 with that motor alone is a HUGE challenge, add the trans and low milage and I'm looking for a unicorn or honest politician.

So, you may need to adjust your expectations. The 302 V8 is a fine motor, similar mileage and power but smoother. Higher miles isn't a bad thing, if it's been well treated.
The 'crawl through the rear window' thing will get old, fast. :)

What are your goals and budget.

If your looking to boondock and your budget fits it I would just go buy a enclosed utility trailer and do a quick conversion to get started.

If your trying for stealth, lots of discussion in this forum in truck slide ins or caps, but you indicated your health doesn't support that. If your health requires something other than a truck then you need to get one. You can't mess with that.

If you need to go the van route, you might want to try a "for trade" add on craigslist. There might be someone in your area with the exact opposite problem - have a van, need a truck?

That engine was common in vans of similar year, up till. 95ish when the. V6 took over. Older ones have the C6 trans. a good choice.

How about a topper with the higher profile and over cab area? You can get work toppers in this profile also. Then build out a basic set-up inside.

I think your best, fastest option would be to get a cargo trailer and build a home in it like suggested above. But if you wanted to do something totally random, the box off one of the old Toyota U Haul trucks fits just about perfect on a single rear wheel F250 if you take off the bed as suggested. I haven't done it myself, but I saw it done once. It could make a pretty awesome stealth rig with much more maneuverability than the normal larger box truck. Just throwing it out there in case you wanted to do something totally different. I think U Haul completely liquidated them from their fleet long ago, but I bet you can find one cheap on Craig's List. Once you get the box off you can scrap the rest of the truck and make back much of what it cost.

Thanks guys, I can problem solve a potential transition to a van and would just keep the truck but honestly, finding that van isn't as easy as you might think. They're out there but even with 200k or better they're still north of $2,000 or they're just beat to death and my truck isn't.

I was looking for more potential options like MP suggested with the uhaul box on the back. I need to research what boxes may fit back there.

I have chemical sensitivity issues and they tend to have had leaks (mold) and outgas chemicals from the lower quality products typically used in their construction. Not to mention finding one that hasn't had those painfully offensive scented trees or other air "freshener" in them.

Ran across this pic of a flatbed truck with a cabover truck camper attached to it. I had other pics of it but can't find them now. Looks cool.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqF,!psE-z2GnUKJBP3jERqpD!~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqF,!psE-z2GnUKJBP3jERqpD!~~60_12.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 21
Kisatchieman said:
Ran across this pic of a flatbed truck with a cabover truck camper attached to it. I had other pics of it but can't find them now. Looks cool.

Sorry, somewhere in the thread I got the idea you had a flatbed truck.

If you buy yourself a 60's-70's slide-in camper there should be no outgassing to worry about and as far as I've seen, they were often built better than the ones today. It's easy enough to check for rot and the price is often lo lo lo on even the good ones. ..Willy.

if you considering putting a U-Haul box on there, take a look at your local junkyards for one.

I was at the junkyard not too long ago, and found several box trucks like this that were in really decent condition.