Trooper Travels!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troopersworld

Reaction score
I can't post much until someone helps me be able to login from a larger device then just my phone because I can't type on the phone for long. But I so much want to introduce the absolute love of my life, the reason I keep going and the reason I smile so much...

My boy Trooper. 

1513272357791.jpg

He is a five year old purebred beagle who was born with a brain disability called cerebellar hypoplasia. It is similar in a lot of ways to cerebal palsy. Because it stems from malformation of a part of the brain it tends to come with other things, for him that means blindness, some immune system issues, a lack of bowel motility and... Some vets debate whether or not this label is appropriate but the only label I know that fits is to say that he is autistic. 

Things that are really different are a challenge to him. He loves to travel with me, but I have to take care to make sure that certain things in his little world remain as constant as possible. Like what he eats, what he eats off of, his own bedding Etc. Most dogs like routine but Trooper requires routine. We can travel, we just have to have routines around travel that make it less challenging for him. 

20180809_153131.png

If you're used to doing something from left to right with him, he gets stressed out if you do it from right to left. He is the most sweet, docile and adorable little guy but occasionally he will have the same kind of who knows why meltdown tantrum that you may have seen an autistic child have. Overstimulation is very bad for him and he doesn't know how to cope. It can be good stimulation even but too much of it will result in either a meltdown or a seizure.

I have had strangers, obviously people with no real heart or compassion or ability to give to others, tell me I should have him put down as a mercy killing. Bollocks! He lives a rich full and happy life. He is well-loved and well cared for and that's what matters. Most people don't even notice that he's disabled because he has come so far.

He has his own Instagram account and a reasonably large following that is growing. He is my little superstar!

I am new to the forums and I am still trying to figure out how to transition to a Mobile Life. So we aren't on the road full time yet. Would love to hear from others with special needs pets so that I don't end up Reinventing the wheel! LOL

Attachments

• 1513272357791.jpg
    1513272357791.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20180809_153131.png
    20180809_153131.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
troopersworld said:
I am new to the forums and I am still trying to figure out how to transition to a Mobile Life. So we aren't on the road full time yet. Would love to hear from others with special needs pets so that I don't end up Reinventing the wheel! LOL

Trooper is AMAZING! How can someone think of putting that sweet baby down? Yes I agree, pets with disabilities are a little more work. BUT they are SO worth it. My girly Pumpkin, I believe she is Autistic. She does NOT like changes, she has her spot, her bowl, a consistent time to eat, etc...so when we have moved houses in the past she freaks out. Not like my Mr. Marley does. It's normal for a dog to have to "get used to" a new environment but it's different for Pumpkin. She will spin circles, or hide, act afraid, etc...even as "chunky" as she is believe it or not it took her 2 days to eat again when we moved into the home we are at now. 

I myself am not on the road yet. Figuring all that out and waiting for funding BUT I can just imagine when we move into our new "home on wheels" she's gonna be a mess. I've already made the layout/design and dedicated her food bowl area, her sleeping spot, etc...so that will be consistent just have to get her adjusted. 

Pumpkin doesn't have seizures but she definitely has VERY difficult times adjusting. Even if the slightest little thing changes, she's meltdown central. Love my babies though.

Pumpkin AKA Chunk is on the left of the couch & Mr Marley is on the right.

Nice to meet you and I'm a newbie here myself.

Attachments

• 124.jpg
    124.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 3