traveling west with my dog

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any tips to keep ahead of the dog hair in our van besides keeping Emma brushed daily? I try to wipe out the hair daily off the carpet and other surfaces but would appreciate any tips. Emma is a 75 pound german shepherd.

Janncoo, there are several tools made for removing the undercoat from the dog which will cut the shedding down dramatically. Coat King is one of them and the Furminator is another. Another option if you can stand the look of a naked German Shepard is to have her shaved. It pretty much stops the problem and then you can let her grow back for winter. I used to shave my Golden Retriever twice a year and it made all the difference.
Patrick, dogs who jump on people are a nuisance and they can easily be trained not to do it. The next time your neighbors lab jumps on you, simply raise your knee into his chest with a firm NO. He'll think twice next time but it's a shame that the owner is not considerate enough to stop the problem.
My large Poodle has never attempted to jump up on anyone thank goodness, he will walk up to a small child and look him right in the face but is careful not to touch them. Your wife would most likely not be allergic to a Poodle if you really wanted a dog, they have hair not fur and don't shed.

decodancer, Thanks for the info. We have the furminater but Emma hates it! She does not mind the other dog brush but it doesn't work as well. What's a little fur between loved ones.:) Jan

My Belgian Malinois sheds all of the time but really blows her coat twice a year. Sweeping my van out works okay but a hand vacuum works much better! Seems to pick up more. Fortunately, she doesn't mind the furminator which really comes in handy during the heavy shedding.

And yes, like you, I would rather have her with me and put up with the hair than not have her. She's my best bud! I feel safe having her with me. She's very friendly once she knows you are okay, but she looks very fierce when she is checking someone out or when they get too close to the van.

decodancer said:
Patrick, Your wife would most likely not be allergic to a Poodle if you really wanted a dog, they have hair not fur and don't shed.

We had a chance to get a wonderful boxer, so we took him for an afternoon jaunt. My wife did great...until we were heading home later in the afternoon...then the swelling started!! :(

A friend of my wife raises poodles, so we went over there for an hour to play with the puppies and see if these guys would work. Nope...she got swelled up again!!

We think it's a chemical in their saliva is the problem...however, we've now decided that we're really better off without one, so we can be free to travel at will. (on motorcycle)

...and YES, I know several people who carry their dogs on their bikes with 'em. :cool:
it's not for us.

Latest posts