traveling west with my dog

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a45cap

Reaction score
I will soon be leaving to travel to Arizona with my beagle/lab mix. She weighs in around 45 to 50 lbs. Until now I have been car camping in the Midwest/southeast states. she has proven herself being quite the guard at night while I'm sleeping I keep her chained with access to the tent, she usually lies at the door with her head just outside, more than once I've been woken by her growls, couple times she went after something but didn't chase because of the chain. After reading several of the threads here I am wondering if it would be wise to EVER let her off leash once I get west of the Mississippi. or for that matter even letting her out of my sight in the daytime. I feel ok walking her off leash around this part of the country, but she doesn't have 100% recall. If she gets on a hot scent then she's deaf to my call. I get the feeling this could be dangerous out west, with the larger/size and amount of predators. Should I keep her inside the tent even at night? If anything was to happen to her I don't know what I would do. Almost all of my decisions revolve around whats best for her, should I rethink even going west? We can deal with the heat. I don't have to work so I never really have to leave her alone, except for grocery/walmart, which I do early in the mornings. After what I've read here I'm not sure I want to walk her off leash ever. Any thoughts or ideas on the best way to deal with this?

We keep our dogs on leash all the time when we travel with them. Our Rottweiler and our Sheltie-Papillon cross both need lots of exercise, and we do use retractable leashes much of the time, and we take them for at least two long walks a day. Very few dogs have perfect recall, that is coming when called, and in my opinion it's great to keep them on leash.

Not all the predators out here are large. I'm not sure exactly where the scorpions are!

But sure, come on west!

I traveled for several years cross-country with a Doberman/Lab mix.

He was great company, a wonderful companion, a compassionate listener...but wasn't much of a conversationalist. :p

Sure, I'd bring your traveling companion out West....no problem!! C'mon out...you'll both have a great time!! (don't be so paranoid...things ain't THAT different out here)

This is a very, very hard decision, and whatever decision you make will be right for you, don't let anyone tell you, that you are wrong. You are responsible for her and obviously you love her deeply, trust that love!

I faced this exact decision about my beloved Homer, I decided not to leash him. Rather than go through it all here again, read this post where I explain my decision:

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/living-safely-on-a-leash-or-running-free/

Homer lived totally free with me for 6 years and then I lost him to bone cancer. I had many, many fearful moments wondering where he was and if he was safe. But today, I have no questions that I made the right decision.

My new dog Cody confronts me with the same decision, again I choose wildness and freedom for him.

Here is my thinking:

By becoming a vandweller I reject civilizations leash of safety and comfort and embrace a wild, free life of greater risk and danger. I have no doubt that is the right decision for me.

Why would I choose the opposite for the one I love the most? Why would I put him on a leash when I finally broke the yoke off my neck? I couldn't.

I simply accept that both he and I may have to die early for the privilege of living wild and free. That is a trade I gladly make!!!!!!!

Bob

I would rather be ashes than dust!

I would rather that my spark should burn out
in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom
of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.

Jack london

When I head for the mountains this coming weekend Gunner my German Shepherd will be with me.

Gunner is a Florida dog and has never seen the mountains. Earlier today I had a thought of him falling off a high cliff or rock face. He listens well so hopefully all will be OK.

There just is nothing worse than loosing a good dog. I still miss all the good ones.

Here is a picture of Gunner last year he was almost 1 year old and chasing down a dangerous Frisbee!
small intense chase.jpg

Attachments

• small intense chase.jpg
    small intense chase.jpg
    169.1 KB
I like the advice bob gave, but your decision is yours and yours alone whatever you are comfortable with. I myself only put a collar on my dog scout when society mandates it and only when I am with him. my reason for this is I have seen 3 dogs in my lifetime hung by their collar, only one made it because we where there to help, even though the dog bit my buddy it was a good thing we were there. the other two it was too late when we got there. btw all these were regular collars not the choker type. one thing you should be aware of do not let your dog chase or harass livestock. even in ultra liberal kalifornia the livestock owner has the right to shoot your dog. the fish and game and the county sheriff both told me this within the last year when we had a problem. not that I myself would shoot the dog, but the dog owner would be in a lot of trouble. highdesertranger

Highdesertranger, when I first got my shepherd had to use a prong collar in his beginning training. (they are really not cruel in the least. even pressure is applied around the neck and do not harm dogs like choker collars do) He was wild at first and had to crate him. I forgot to take the prong collar off before putting him in the crate. I herd an awful thrashing around and when I found him the collar had hooked into the crate and was hanging him. Had to crawl into the back of crate with him somehow got it loose without bolt cutters. Never left it on out of my presence again.

yep seeker, glad you where within ear shot. got to watch those collars. highdesertranger

I live out west and the problems with predators is vastly exaggerated. I was born and raised around Grizzlies, wolves, mountain lions, and whatever scary predator you can think of. Out of scores of encounters, I've had zero problems. That doesn't mean nothing can happen, because things do happen. People feed bears and people get attacked because of that. It's not 100% safe, but the problems are truly minute. What I have the most problems with are snakes, porcupines, and loose or feral dogs. Sometimes skunks. Saw a skunk in a mineshaft yesterday and had to turn around.

If you don't have 100% recall, don't let your dog off leash. Lots of people here have dogs and most don't have 100% recall, so when they let them off leash, lots of them get loose. Some get caught in leg hold traps or the powerful Conibear traps. Some return injured. Some never return at all. All of the dogs I've ever had have had 100% recall, but not until they were trained. Until they were trained, I ALWAYS had them leashed when in an uncontrolled environment. I never, ever took a chance with that until they were ready. Not only is that unsafe, it is an anathema to training.

Most people keep their dogs on leash, but some people feel it's ok to let them loose in the country. Not cool. As long as you keep Ozzy tethered and you don't leave her alone, you will be fine. :) You do not need to keep her in the tent. At night she is too big for owls to consider and nothing else will approach you guys unless you leave food around. Well, maybe a snake might approach, but that has never happened with me.

Ticks and mosquitoes are a bugger, and you will have lots of those most places you visit. We don't have scorpions, so I can't say much about them.

gabe and liza.jpg I know the dangers of letting my three off leash. I also see the pure joy on their faces when they can run free. Cricket literally hops like Tigger. Gable runs in huge circles just for the pure fun of running. Liza follows Gable and does a pretty good job of keeping up despite the size difference. I cannot even dream of keeping up with their speed and spend most of our jaunts trying to untangle the leashes. Snow is a special treat for them, all three enjoy running and rolling in it. I love my dogs more than life itself but just can't take that away from them. I'm very careful to choose an area far away from traffic and know that 90 percent of the time they will come back with just a whistle. It's a chance I take to give them the life they deserve.

I looked at what I wrote and realized that it sounded like my dogs ran away ten percent of the time. They never go out of my sight when off leash. The only time they ignore my get back to my side command is when they're trying to climb a tree after a squirrel or have their noses down a hole looking for a groundhog. They were started as wee babies off leash and have never left the immediate area.

Attachments

• gabe and liza.jpg
    gabe and liza.jpg
    42.6 KB
Mr. Pico has never worn a leash. He has scared me a few times but his freedom is more important. He loves to explore.View attachment 1365View attachment 1365 He has lived with me in the desert and forest with no problems. His happiness is very important to me. You will be comfortable with the decision that you make for you and your dogs...COME WEST!

There are different things to consider. If you let the dog tend to be loose it would seem that his chances of being injured would be greater. Do you have the resources to take him to the vet and possibly pay hundreds or thousands of dollars to save him or is he all done and they will put him down for $100.00 In some areas people will shoot them as they often kill game birds or other small game. People pay for a license to hunt the resources that are managed by the government and frown on people letting their dogs run and kill the game.

People are terrible for letting cats run wild but dogs are the same in the respect that they shouldn't be where they dont belong. They dont have the right to be crapping where others may be trying to enjoy the outdoors. If I rent a camp space, the dog belongs in that space only. It's rude and irresponsible to have our dogs jumping on or bothering other people. Yes, I love dogs and treat ours like our kids but others may hate being near them.

We're for not having any problems and ours die of old age.

This afternoon was the first time in over a month that I was able to let the dogs loose in the back of the campground. Everybody in that area left this morning and we have the fun job of picking up 200 dirty sites. When we have guests they are always on a leash and at times it's a challenge to even find a patch of grass for them to do their business. Luckily they love people, it takes forever to go for a walk because the kids (and adults) want to pet them. I pick up after them, on or off leash because I know I get annoyed when I step in somebody else's mess.

We are never in a "campground". He is never out of my sight. He loves the freedom of the forest and desert, and is in touch with his 'ancestral memories'. Neither my dog nor I will ever wear a leash.

Sameer said:
We are never in a "campground". He is never out of my sight. He loves the freedom of the forest and desert, and is in touch with his 'ancestral memories'. Neither my dog nor I will ever wear a leash.

It sounds like you are a responsible dog caregiver. Which is great! I guess I'm just worried about the irresponsible dog caregiver who lets their companion dog run free and in the process that dog, who is in touch with his 'ancestral memories' decides to chase me or my children or my companion dog? What then?

I don't know but I do know that I have been terrorized by free roaming dogs who had caregivers who adamantly stated that their dog would never hurt a fly. Big Whoop, it terrorized me and I like dogs.

Is it everyone else's responsibility to know how to act around YOUR dog? Do any of us have the right to walk in the forest without being growled at or chased by someone else's sweet, happy, wonderful companion dog?

So how do you (and I'm asking all of us, not Sameer) as a carer respond? Too bad, that's MY problem? So you and your dog have the right to be anywhere they want but *I* don't if I don't want to be terrorized?

I guess what I'm saying is that perhaps if you know for a 100% certainty that your dog will NEVER bark at another person or dog, letting it roam free is responsible.

I care for a dog who is very gentle with me but growls and barks ferociously at little children and most men, and any dog who is bigger than him and/or barks at him. Now, I don't believe he would actually hurt anyone. I'm pretty sure he's all bark and no bite, but is it fair for me to let him roam free when I know he has the *ability* to terrorize someone? Let alone the poor defenseless rabbits? And little children who remind him of a rabbit? Someone else's companion dog?

I'll admit that when I am on land where there is no one around I do let him run free. He's attached to me with a metaphorical rubber band. I can't get up to go to the bathroom without him following me and waiting outside the door. So he doesn't stray far from where I am....unless!... he sees a rabbit or squirrel or some other prey. Then that drive or ancestral memory kicks in and I can whistle till the cows come home but he won't until he's good and ready (and that's assuming he hasn't run too far away and can find his way home).

If I know that anyone is around, then he is on a leash and while inconvenient for me and him, he is safer both from and to others.

I'm not referring to you Sameer, but your ancestral memory reference just struck me.

Mr. Pico is the size of a 'running shoe. He is well trained and doesn't chase anything but an occasional squirrel or chipmunk without success. I have a 'command word' that freezes him in his tracks. Have no fear! StarEcho-I give him the best possible life imaginable, that has been my goal. I do just what you do, I give him his freedom when nobody is around. He loves the forest and the desert. We are always boondocking on the BLM so we don't have neighbors. He (and I) have never been to a 'real' campground. He grew up on our little goat ranch outside of Carlsbad, New Mexico chasing goats, chickens and a occasional rabbit. I go places and camp where he can be free with out issues. If you could see him sitting and looking out at the landscape you would understand. He smiles and watches the sunset in the desert and I am thinking that he is remembering that he is a dog whose ancestors came close to the campfire for a little food and companionship, and finally became a friend of man. I think that makes him happy. He is a very happy dog. For almost two years that we have been in our van, I have made sure that he has never been a problem for anyone. He is my best friend and never out of my sight.

Sameer said:
Mr. Pico is the size of a 'running shoe. I have a 'command word' that freezes him in his tracks.

LOL on Mr Pico's description, I had a "Chico" who was similar in size but he pretty much hated everybody. He would bite a child and I made sure he was never near anybody without being leashed or in my arms.
I too have one word that my dogs never ignore. Whether it's my tone of voice, I don't know but I say "STOP" and they freeze. If I yell "TABLE", they all jump onto the nearest picnic table but that wouldn't be very helpful out in the woods.

I've had the joy of sharing a camp several times with Sameer and Mr. Pico, and I can testify everything he is saying is true. Mr. Pico is a Joy.

My Homer was such a joy to me, he never barked or growled an anyone or any other dog, unless he was on a leash, then he became a big problem growling and barking at most other dogs. Off-leash, it never happened (unless a stranger walked into camp unannounced, then he barked and growled). During 4 RTRs he ran wild every minute and there was never even the slightest problem between him and any other people or dogs.

He lost his battle with bone cancer and my new dog Cody does not have Homers sweet personality--much to my great chagrin. Fortunately, 90% of our time is spent with no one else around but it looks like he will have to be on leash for the entire RTR.

Every dog is different. Generalities don't work.

I will say that I totally agree that dogs running wild is my single greatest fear when walking in the woods. I always carry a knife and if a ferral dog wants blood some of it will be his.
Bob

I have a neighbor who has 2 big labs. These are the friendliest dogs in the world...abiet, maybe a bit too friendly!
(they like to jump up on you so you can pet them.)

that's not so bad if you know these dogs and don't mind them jumping on you...but my wife is highly alergic and we can't have dogs because of this.

...but that doesn't stop these dogs from jumping up on her!! and of course, she pushes them off, and they do it again, and again!!

After repeatedly talking to our neighbor about it, she finally gets that my wife can't pet her dogs and she 'tries' to control them when around her...but these dogs do this to EVERYBODY...including kids!! "Oh, they're just being friendly!!" she'll say.

Friendly or not...I don't want your dogs jumping up on me!!!