Traveling in Montana- split from: If you have chest pains..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QinReno

Reaction score
Matter of fact, one reason I bought the van is so I can spend a good deal of time camping in Montana. Lots of grizzlies up there. Needing a hard-sided tent. Have to go in May or June before the fire season takes off.

Q, it has been way too many years since I was in Montana. Have meant to just haven't made it. I have had this idea of going to the pay to dig sapphire mine at Spokane Bar or Gem Mountain and act like a gopher.
Wouldn't mind getting some Grizzly photos. Just not of one clawing at my door..... That could cause heart issues for sure.

Dennis, to give you a rundown ... summer of 2017 before I bought the van, I did a loop up through ID, MT, and eastern WA and OR. I was mostly motel camping since I can no longer get comfortable sleeping in a tent due to my bad hip. I liked Boise a lot, and did tent camp at Redfish Lake in the Sawtooths, which was really great. Nice hike up to the Bench Lakes.

Then, all through western MT in a loop, and back through Spokane (yukk) and down through Burns OR ($110/night for a motel, double yukk). I spent so much on motels I came back and decided to get the van. I especially liked the Missoula-Kalispell-Whitefish area, and want to go camp there for a few weeks next summer. But it's all griz up there by Glacier NP. Helena is also a neat town, and I lived there for 6 months several years ago. I did stop in Philipsburg, which I see is near the sapphire mines. I'm sure HDR has been there, and left only slim pickings. 

All in all, it was a good trip, and I especially want to go back to the Sawtooths and the Missoula+north area. Also recently I discovered the business about the volcanic channeled scablands in eastern WA and want to explore there for a while. Result of the great Missoula flood end of the last ice age. Do it now, as they say.

https://www.youtube.com/user/hugefloods/videos
https://www.google.com/search?q=channeled+scablands&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X
https://www.google.com/search?q=palouse+falls&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X

Q...that's certaintly beautiful up there. Easy to see why it's called Big Sky country. I kicked around in the Bitterroots on an elk hunt back in late 70's and made a long trek from top of a high peak. I heard things and saw tracks that told me I wasn't the only predator up there. From there went all the way east across Montana. Have meant to make it back before now. Started hunting with a camera only, years ago.
Hoping things go well and I still have time for that trip.

I did like the area around Hamilton south of Missoula (Bitterroots) but passed through quickly on that trip. More time there will also be on the agenda. "Do It Now". (actually that's been my motto since a couple of years ago, as a result of general real-life issues, LOL).

If you blow up the map, there is utterly remarkable geology (parallel glacial valleys facing north) there.
- https://www.google.com/maps/place/B...63605bbcae42b!8m2!3d45.8076982!4d-113.9389673

I was just planning my first trip out with the new van next spring, and thought I'd be going that way, through Missoula and Hamilton. I might also go north to Kalispell as I have a friend there to visit. And as for Glacier NP - that's on my list of places to go but I'm probably not going to hike much as I don't want to meet up with any Grizzlies and have no hiking partner. After that - down into eastern Idaho so I can do some sightseeing in that part of my state. I haven't been there since I moved to Idaho five years ago.

Dennis - I think the Guadalupe Mt. hike would be too much for me right now but I could work up to it. My last hike uphill was only a mile and a half, and seemed challenging enough.

Also - thanks for the heart advice. When I get my MediGap in place I'll definitely ask a doctor about the angiogram.

Sounds like a good trip, travelaround. Get the new van used to traveling. I'm not too fond of the thought of hiking in Grizzly areas alone either.
There is a federal judge in Midland,TX that has made the hike to Guadalupe Peak 200 times. His last one was this past August. He is 72 I believe. He is a volunteer at the NP also. I won't try to match his record.

It is just something to think about and look into what you might want to do if the time comes that the pains need attention. I can't help but think my first warning was almost three years ago but different feelings. And did have it checked. That is probably when I should have had the angiogram.

Q has some good links on procedures. Its good to gain knowledge ahead of time instead of looking for answers or other reasons during severe chest pains.

Dennis said:
Sounds like a good trip, travelaround.  Get the new van used to traveling.   I'm not too fond of the thought of hiking in Grizzly areas alone either.  

See Dennis, you mention wrestling grizzles, and the next thing you know a new thread is created. Only you could combine chest pains and wrestling griz.

Never cook bacon and always wear a bell when in grizzly country. In the lower-48, the grizzlies are largely in the area from the Wind River Range east of Jackson up to Glacier. AKA the Grizzly Highway. 

However, most of the places I go are bear country, ie mountains in CA, OR, ID, and MT, and mostly black bears. They estimate there are 30,000 black bears in CA alone, and the males can weigh up to 400-pounds. So I really don't want to cook in the van at all and get it smelling like food.

Being in bear country with food turns into a pain. Going in May would still be cold in that area wouldn't it? Is it the bears you want to see...from a hard sided tent?

You can see the stats on this page. Temps in Missoula in May average about 40F at night and 65F in the daytime. That's pretty nice.
- http://www.city-data.com/city/Missoula-Montana.html

I would be going to see the sights, but would be nice to see a grizzly too - from inside the van. There are many NF CGs in the area, and I would stay in those in any case. I am thinking May-June, that's when I was up there in 2017 and the weather was perfect the entire time. In July is when the wild fires get going.

So far I have been to Bozeman and Billings MT. Had a great time in each. Bozeman has some cool museums, including the Museum of the Rockies which is world-class. And I even got to see Grizzlies up-close, at the rescue center in Bozeman. ;) Billings had Pictograph Cave which was very nice, and the Little Bighorn Battlefield is not very far away.

QinReno said:
Matter of fact, one reason I bought the van is so I can spend a good deal of time camping in Montana. Lots of grizzlies up there. Needing a hard-sided tent. Have to go in May or June before the fire season takes off.

I have tent camped in all the large wilderness areas of Montana.  I have seen maybe 3 grizzly's in the wild in 45 years; they were more scared of me than I was of them.

Best advice I can give is to talk to the rangers in charge of the area you are in.  They know about any problem bears and what to do to avoid them.

And a boat horn is your friend (and a good first line of defense).

Spaceman Spiff said:
I have tent camped in all the large wilderness areas of Montana.  I have seen maybe 3 grizzly's in the wild in 45 years; they were more scared of me than I was of them.
Everyone and everything is afraid of you Spiff, and your 50,000 watt amplifier. I'm still angry about that time in Owl Canyon.

In my whole life of going into the back country, I've never even seen a bear and only 4 rattle snakes. They estimate there are now 30,000 black bears in CA. I've not seen them, but when I was camping at Whitney Portal in May, the people across the road in the CG 50' away forgot to close the metal bear box, and the bear came in the night and scattered their food all over, LOL. Had a good time on potato chips.

The problem with fraidy-cat bears is, you only need to run into the one angry one, or maybe a really hungry one. There was this idiot guy (forget his name) a few years ago who was making videos of himself in close quarters with grizzlies, and saying how there wasn't all that much worry. Then one day he ran into the one angry grizzly. End of Bear Man story.

From what it appears, you can "always" see a griz if you drive through Yellowstone park. Probably used to people, but even so, they don't allow tent camping in the park. Only hard-sides. 

Several years ago, I tent camped s.w. of Billings and there were "locals" there who had popup soft-sided tent campers, and they apparently didn't too much trouble in that area. The signs just said the usual warnings, but no specific prohibitions about tents. Woodbine CG.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/W...427eae21b09ba!8m2!3d45.3522222!4d-109.8963889

Sounds awesome - I would like to see those museums and the rescue center. Not sure how long I'll spend in Montana though, in 2019. Since I'm just getting started in van life, I want to go everywhere all at once. I hope this doesn't make me rush through. I'd like to take my time in exploring places.

I saw black bears while I was living in Happy Camp, CA (middle of the Klamath National Forest) ... twice I was out hiking around town, really, just downhill from the hill I lived on, and a big black bear crossed the highway right in front of me. I also saw one right outside my kitchen window at night. Also saw a cougar on my front porch once.

travelaround said:
Sounds awesome - I would like to see those museums and the rescue center. Not sure how long I'll spend in Montana though, in 2019. Since I'm just getting started in van life, I want to go everywhere all at once. I hope this doesn't make me rush through. I'd like to take my time in exploring places.
You needn't be in a big rush to go places, and can stop at interesting areas for a few days along the way. That's the best part. 

I am always reminded of the difference between being a "tourist" and being a "traveler". I have a crazy friend who will sit at home for months in CO, and then spend 7-days driving roundtrip to CA, and then back home to sit there for more months. He's been doing this since I've known him for over 20-years. Helluvaway to travel.

QinReno said:
 . . . In my whole life of going into the back country, I've never even seen a bear and only 4 rattle snakes . . .
The problem with fraidy-cat bears is, you only need to run into the one angry one, or maybe a really hungry  . . . they don't allow tent camping in the park. Only hard-sides . . .

I just find the fixation on bears on this site and others an interesting study in human nature; call it the fear of the unknown.  I grew up around bears and have a healthy respect for them but I'm not fearful.

Your chances of a serious encounter with a bear in Yellowstone is 1:2,500,000 visitors. In the US bear attacks account for 2 deaths and 10 emergency room visits yearly.  Compare to 70 deaths and 750,000 emergency visits a year due to dog bites, but I haven't seen many people talk about being afraid of dogs, because they are familiar, we are comfortable with them around.

I have tent camped many times in the Yellowstone back country and have friends that still do without problems.  The tent restriction is for established campgrounds where city slickers don't know how to behave in bear country.

P.S. What is this Owl Canyon you speak of?  Never been there.

Spaceman Spiff said:
P.S. What is this Owl Canyon you speak of?  Never been there.
How soon we forget. On a thread a ways ago, I mentioned being in Owl Canyon near Barstow and talking about the idiots across the valley with the loud music that was bouncing off the canyon walls. Then you somehow mentioned having 50,000W, and if you knew it was me you would have played a "gut-evacuating" note, or whatever you called it. Probably 50 Hz at 50,000W. Just a joke.

I'm well aware it's more likely you'll be struck by lightning than eaten by a bear, but just watch out for that one griz in a million like what ate the Bear Man. I do know that there is a large congregation of grizzlies up around the west side of Glacier NP. As Spiff says, learn what "not" to do.

Spaceman Spiff said:
I just find the fixation on bears on this site and others an interesting study in human nature; call it the fear of the unknown. 

It reminds me of newbie backpackers on the Appalachian Trail, who pee their pants over "bears!!!" and "snakes!!!" despite the fact that virtually nobody ever even sees any.

I spent most of my life backpacking in PA and NJ. Never saw a rattler in the wild, and only a handful of copperheads. Seen maybe 5-6 black bears, and they all ran away as soon as they saw ME.

By far, the most dangerous part of any camping trip is .... driving there.

Amen. Thank you! I've backpacked the AT and the long section of the Black Forest (Germany). I've met with bear and boar; javelina and snake- ALL ran almost as fast as I did and, thankfully, in the opposite direction. The bear smelled bacon from some guy who'd been warned to take down his camp kitchen and refused, thus prompting 'bear patrol' to confiscate his entire kitchen - thank you, BP!

The crowd of javelina just wandered through camp - no harm. The snake just doing its thing. The boar - by far the most dangerous- chased my group up into boar towers but we got away -
 Just! Hey, that's why there are boar towers...

I understand and folks need to understand that these environments are habitats. We (humans) are visitors.

Having said it - why oh why would we not go there and enjoy those habitats, respectfully...

I love it. Can't wait to get back out there, armed with an air horn and happiness.