Travel Trailer with a floorplan which would be workable for an electric wheelchair.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac7ub

Reaction score
Greetings.

I am interested in doing full time RVing.  I have a Ford Transit 150, and my wife is in an electric wheelchair.  Considering both of those things, I am looking for a travel trailer in the 3 - 4K pound range with a floorplan which would give my wife room to move around in her wheelchair.  I also need a entry way of at least 27 inches to accomodate wheelchairs width.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm planning to stay on the road, or even parked until they need to put me in a home. I was stuck with a walker and used an electric scooter and a knee walker for months. It was an eye opener. I could barely get in or out of my vehicle. My plan is, when l get tired of the van, is to get a nice length cargo trailer and get it set up for full time living. Why? So I can get a ramp to go in and out. Toy haulers are often crappy and you don't know if you'll get that until it's too late. And I can lay out the plan exactly as I need.
Ted

Pressing "start building" on the Dunesport website will bring up sizes, weights and prices. The 18' is probably about the largest in the weight range, small but looks extremely functional.

Toy Hauler is about all I can think of in bumper pull, at one time years ago, Sunline when they were in business produced a "handicapped accessible" floorplan, even Coleman did a pop-up back then.

Another option might be finding something and modifying it.

I have to agree. My first thought was of a toy hauler because much of it is open. My one concern would be the bathroom because small trailers mean small bathrooms. The first thing you could do is get a handle of what your truck can honestly pull, tongue weight limit, cargo capacity, etc. . That way you have a good idea as you look.

In that weight range you  might want to take a look at a cargo trailer that you can build out the inside to your own specifications.

Cargo trailers (the good ones) are built better than most travel trailers and you can get them already with man doors that are wider. Building a bathroom area suitable for wheelchair accessibility will be much easier than finding one already built as will be kitchen areas, eating areas, etc.

ttnt trailers site in the foamies section has someone building a sleeping trailer for him and his wife who is in a wheel chair.

Latest posts