Transit handling in the mountains???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutbum

Reaction score
There are a bunch of Transits coming off lease right now with 15K +- miles and mint condition for about 10 grand under new price but in my area they are all 3.7L and no Ecoboost engines to be found.

I frequent very mountainous roads crossing high passes etc and wondered how the Transit 3.7 does in that environment? It will be a medium height roof and pretty light and minimal build. I am no speed demon bud wouldn't like it if the van struggled all the time.

Any insight appreciated....Thanks

have the 3.7 148'' wb  low roof, been out  to the West coast 2 times ( 2 RTR visits ) done some running around Colorado  without any problems.
I tend to prefer back roads, and not a speed demon.
purchased used with 22K now at 72K with 1 repair and regular maintenance, overall very pleased with my Van.

I took my transit on NC 80 "the devils tail" in heavy rain and had no issues. There is some video on my channel of that drive. 2016 low roof loaded with camping gear and two dogs.

That video looks like the Transit does really well in the mountains. I have been on that Dragons Tail road years ago and it's a good test for a vehicle's handling.

If you drive reasonable speeds on the highway can you get 18 mph out of it?

Thanks for the help guys.

We have a 2018 148" wheel base medium roof Transit with the 3.5L ecoboost engine.   We have been getting 18mpg average going across the mountains of Washington (7 hour drive from eastern Washington state to the coast with a 5000 foot elevation change in places).

Zero problems.   Drives like a car and can do 80mph up a 7% grade if you desired.

Troutbum said:
If you drive reasonable speeds on the highway can you get 18 mph out of it?

]I averaged about 16 unless it was for long periods like on an interstate, then I jumped up to 17-18.

I think other than a lead foot wind is the single biggest factor with respect to fuel consumption, I have seen as much as 6mpg difference from driving into a headwind as opposed to a tailwind. That being said I tend to cruise about 63-68 on freeways and can usually get 18.6 the best I've ever had was teasing 22 toddling back roads in Missouri.

In the 1350 miles since we bought our 2019 Transit 3.7L 148" MR, we were getting 18.0-18.5 mpg with easy driving in Michigan (not mountainous). This is before out build-out, with very little weight in the van.

The 3.5L ecoboost can actually get a little better mileage than the 3.7L normally aspirated engine because it has a smaller displacement.

This is if you do not engage the turbos.  If you put your foot down, the van shoots off like it is a mustang and the miles per gallon goes way down.

Thanks everybody for the replies picking one up next week sounds like it will work fine for my needs.