Transit Connect Conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodnote

Reaction score
I just finished the major part of a 2011 Ford Transit Connect conversion.  It's a kind of small for full time living, but it should be fine for the extended solo tours I have planned after I retire this spring. 
The general layout was inspired by Bob's post on the conversion by his friend Randy (http://www.cheaprvliving.com/conversion-details/converting-a-ford-transit-connect/), and I decided on making a pullout bed and a pullout kitchen module.

We need pictures of the end results. I love the little connects. My truck has gotten to the point of being bigger than some of the trails I want to go down, and I don't always want to take the bike. Was seriously considering one of these, but I think I've settled on getting an older Jeep Cherokee now that I've found a way to sleep stretched out in one without losing it's ability to haul a few folks to a backpack trail head.

I had some trouble posting more than 6 images on my original thread, so I guess I'll have to post them in 3 separate replies.  Here is the first batch.

Attachments

• Slide02.jpg
    Slide02.jpg
    159.6 KB
  • Slide03.jpg
    Slide03.jpg
    104.2 KB
  • Slide04.jpg
    Slide04.jpg
    83.6 KB
  • Slide05.jpg
    Slide05.jpg
    100.4 KB
  • Slide06.jpg
    Slide06.jpg
    60.6 KB
...and the second....

Attachments

• Slide07.jpg
    Slide07.jpg
    69.3 KB
  • Slide08.jpg
    Slide08.jpg
    79.7 KB
  • Slide09.jpg
    Slide09.jpg
    111.9 KB
  • Slide10.jpg
    Slide10.jpg
    112.8 KB
  • Slide11.jpg
    Slide11.jpg
    108.1 KB
...the third set...

Attachments

• Slide12.jpg
    Slide12.jpg
    86.5 KB
  • Slide13.jpg
    Slide13.jpg
    99.3 KB
  • Slide14.jpg
    Slide14.jpg
    85.7 KB
  • Slide15.jpg
    Slide15.jpg
    76.9 KB
  • Slide16.jpg
    Slide16.jpg
    123.1 KB
...and the last two (whew!).  I have a few details to finish, then I'll take it out for a shakedown cruise over Labor Day weekend.

Attachments

• Slide17.jpg
    Slide17.jpg
    97.3 KB
  • Slide18.jpg
    Slide18.jpg
    68.1 KB
Welcome to the CRVL forums Woodnote! Thanks for all of the photos. Great job on your build!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Very nice, great use of available floor space.
Can't figure how you go from cook mode to wash mode and still keep the sink in the same place ??

MM

That is amazing. Thank you for all the lovely pictures. My first thought was getting that transit connect and you did a mighty fine job with your modules. What about costs? Did you keep a spreadsheet on that? :)

makenmend said:
Very nice, great use of available floor space.
Can't figure how you go from cook mode to wash mode and still keep the sink in the same place ??

MM

The sink (which is a half pan from a standard steam table) slides in between the rails, so it can be used in both positions.  Not much room for a gray water tank, so there is no drain and it slides easily.

badjingle said:
That is amazing. Thank you for all the lovely pictures. My first thought was getting that transit connect and you did a mighty fine job with your modules. What about costs? Did you keep a spreadsheet on that? :)
It wasn't cheap, partly because my girlfriend has allergies and chemical sensitivities, so I spent extra on low-VOC finishes, adhesives and materials wherever possible.  I think it came in around $3,000 so far (spreadsheet attached).  Looking back, I would do it somewhat differently and probably be able to save some money.

Attachments

• Conversion Cost.xlsx
    96.8 KB
sometimesido said:
looks like the sink moves

Yep.  Since there's no drain I wanted to make it easy to toss the water, so it drops down between the side rails.  And, that lets me slide it to one side or the other depending on how far out the pull out kitchen is.  I'll know more about how well I like that after I've had it out a few times.

Some nice designs !
We'll "stay tuned" ;) for further reports on the trial runs.

Woodnote said:
I just finished the major part of a 2011 Ford Transit Connect conversion.  It's a kind of small for full time living, but it should be fine for the extended solo tours I have planned after I retire this spring. 
The general layout was inspired by Bob's post on the conversion by his friend Randy (http://www.cheaprvliving.com/conversion-details/converting-a-ford-transit-connect/), and I decided on making a pullout bed and a pullout kitchen module.
I love the Transit Connects! Took me 6 mos to find one with under 100,000 mi. I found a 2013 and put the pull out bed high enough my fridge and everything fits under it, and made a counter thats got lots of storage under it and wire baskets attached so they cant fall off. Its pretty cozy for just me and my dog.

I'm a Sprinter guy (and you know we have a rivalry like the Crips and Bloods), but I've met several really nice Transit builds over the years. You're van is beautifully designed and built.

Latest posts