Transfer Switch Question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarEcho

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting this transfer switch:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001535826...UTF8&colid=3NK70FESPWW7B&coliid=IREME9A2TS3AP

What I want to do is add an inverter close to my batteries and this next to the inverter.  The question is, am I right in believing that I can simply plug my shore power cord into the female end and the male end to the  inverter and this would allow me to use all my 110v outlets in the trailer?  Without the converter trying to charge the batteries from the inverter?

Thanks for any insight into this.

I've taken a look at the manual.  This switch will automatically switch to the generator (or inverter) if the shore power fails.  Or isn't there to start with.  I didn't see anything about it switching the 12 volt converter off when changing to an inverter source.

Also, it's designed to be hooked up to shore power AND a built in generator OR an inverter, but not both.  Of course, if you use a portable generator from Honda or Yamaha, and plug it in to the shore power inlet, it will certainly work that way.

If you are looking for a cheaper way to do this, take a look at this:

http://www.sterling-power-usa.com/m...rsourcesareusedsuchasinvertersshorepower.aspx

With a manual switch like this, you would need to remember to turn your converter off whenever you run off the inverter.  However, it would allow you to have three sources, shore power, built in generator, and inverter.

Regards
John

To accomplish what you want, a simple 120 volt switch on the converter (charger) would work, although not automatic. Also, given that inverters have limited output, I have mine wired to dedicated outlets, not connected to the rest of the "house". I try to save $200 when ever I can. :)

ccbreder said:
To accomplish what you want, a simple 120 volt switch on the converter (charger) would work, although not automatic. Also, given that inverters have limited output, I have mine wired to dedicated outlets, not connected to the rest of the "house". I try to save $200 when ever I can. :)

Can you point me to what you mean by a simple 120 v switch on the converter/charger?  I'm probably only a step or two up from idiot on the electrical front.  There are only 5 outlets in the trailer.  One for the TV area, one for the kitchen, 1 for the microwave, 1 in the dinette and above that for the AC.  I'd want to supply inverter power to the dinette and TV& microwave, which are on opposite sides of the trailer of course (got to make it a challenge!)  I'd only want the microwave for a bag of popcorn at night now and again.  Not something to fire up the generator for (which is NOT onboard) and less than 2 minutes so not a huge drain on the batteries.  I've got the solar from my tiny trailer that I'm going to transfer over to this larger trailer so that will take care of the battery needs for the most part.  I'm just stuck on the how of incorporating the inverter into the general wiring for the trailer.  I was hoping to be able to just plug the shore power cord into the inverter, but I'd heard that you have to disconnect the converter/charger or you get a loop where your charger tries to charge your batteries from your inverter.  So are you saying that I can put a switch on the converter/charger that will let me just turn it off when I'm boondocking and then plug the shore power cord into the inverter?  If so, any instructions on how to do that would be GREATLY appreciated!  I have no idea how to actually disconnect the charger part of the converter.  Thanks.

Thanks OP for RTFM for  me!   :p  I did also read it prior to posting but it didn't tell me in english I could understand whether it would do what I wanted or not.  Now it's clear it won't do what I thought, so I'm glad I asked!

If you have an AC breaker box, there is a good chance your converter/charger is on it's own (or with something you don't care about) and that can be used as a switch. (They are only rated for hundreds of cycles rather than thousands of a normal switch, so it may wear out in a few years if you switch it a lot.) Otherwise you can just add a switch to the hot AC line of the converter/charger.

you can make pop corn on a stove top and eliminate the microwave, if that's all you use it for. highdesertranger

How about just an extension cord from the inverter to what you want to power.  Cheap, simple, easy and very little hassle.   :s

Yes, if you have a circuit breaker box, it will have a separate breaker for the converter. I was thinking of a switch such as every one uses to turn lights off and on in a stick&brick. It is a simple job to install a switch, but only attempt if you are comfortable around electric work.

I like the automatic switching .Just plug in and forget it.Plus,you can wire your battery charger to start also.