Train Conducting for Nomads

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuneElliot

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this approach? I know new railroaders get laid off or furloughed all the time but that's if they are in a certain area and can't relocate etc.

Just wondering if this kind of job has been tried for those of us willing or wanting to be in a location for a few months and then move to the next place, or be okay with getting laid off/furloughed etc for a while and then put in a location transfer when you want to work.

"any chance I could load my van on the train", hahaha I did that in Alaska. highdesertranger

I know they hire high school and college kids as 'tour guides' on some of the scenic passenger railroads like the Cumbres & Toltec and the Black Hills Railroad. I dont know about the Grand Canyon Railroad but I would assume they also hire seasonal help.

They ride back and forth on the train visiting with passengers and speak over the train PA system providing commentary and descriptions.

Some of these trains also operate during the Christmas Season as a 'Polar Express' for families and that would be short term also.

The actual Conductors on these trains are usually, but not always, older guys who have been doing it for years. The Conductor is usually second in command, so to speak, and in charge of the train, its passengers, crew, and cargo, if any. There are actually schools for conductors so I suspect it's more of a career than a temp job.

Somewhat related, (boats instead of trains) is the Christmas on the Pecos, in Carlsbad NM. They might hire temporary help also, and Carlsbad is relatively pleasant in the early winter season, with RV parks and BLM land nearby.

highdesertranger said:
"any chance I could load my van on the train",  hahaha I did that in Alaska.  highdesertranger

Most routes are short and you're gone for a day or two and then bring a train back, or they'll dead-head you and send a van for pick-up

tx2sturgis said:
I know they hire high school and college kids as 'tour guides' on some of the scenic passenger railroads like the Cumbres & Toltec and the Black Hills Railroad. I dont know about the Grand Canyon Railroad but I would assume they also hire seasonal help.

They ride back and forth on the train visiting with passengers and speak over the train PA system providing commentary and descriptions.

Some of these trains also operate during the Christmas Season as a 'Polar Express' for families and that would be short term also.

The actual Conductors on these trains are usually, but not always, older guys who have been doing it for years. The Conductor is usually second in command, so to speak, and in charge of the train, its passengers, crew, and cargo, if any. There are actually schools for conductors so I suspect  it's more of a career than a temp job.

Somewhat related, (boats instead of trains) is the Christmas on the Pecos, in Carlsbad NM. They might hire temporary help also, and Carlsbad is relatively pleasant in the early winter season, with RV parks and BLM land nearby.

I was referring to trained conductors for Union Pacific and BNSF not tour guides. I agree it's a career, not a temp job but they always need help in different places...and being willing to move when the lay-offs come seems like a good way to work whenever and wherever.

Guy is correct, they are all union jobs. So you want to check with the union hall about casual employment. I would guess they hand out the jobs just like the longshoreman's union does with casual labor at the docks, and the electrician's union does around here.

I looked into that once upon a time. Don't remember all the details but believe that is like a formal training program of 1-2 years (?) Can have very short call in/show up times. A co-worker when I was in LE became a conductor. Seldom saw him after that though.
I have a nephew-in-law that works for UP and has for years on the track maintenance side. Money is good but like you say, layoffs do happen. Might be a good career to have for retirement benefits.

dexstrom said:
Guy is correct, they are all union jobs.  So you want to check with the union hall about casual employment.  I would guess they hand out the jobs just like the longshoreman's union does with casual labor at the docks, and the electrician's union does around here.

Talking to several of my friends who actually do this it's not "casual" employment in that sense. You hire on in an area, then if they lay you off you can look at the company website to see where they ARE hiring and needing help and ask to be transferred....or you can just take unemployment. That would be the benefit of being a van/RV dweller...you can go where the work is...and during lay-offs you don't have the same overheads as someone with a house if you choose not to go elsewhere for work.

Dennis said:
I looked into that once upon a time.  Don't remember all the details but believe that is like a formal training program of 1-2 years (?)  Can have very short call in/show up times.  A co-worker when I was in LE became a conductor. Seldom saw him after that though.
I have a nephew-in-law that works for UP and has for years on the track maintenance side. Money is good but like you say, layoffs do happen.  Might be a good career to have for retirement benefits.

When my friends did it, and according to the websites, it is about 8 weeks of training...then on-the-job training. I'm single and friends are spread around the country so really nothing stopping me from looking into it. 

I know most of the ins and outs of working for the railroad (my hometown is a hub so many people up there work for BNSF) I was just wondering if anyone had done it while being a van/RV dweller than could maybe provide some insight.

That was probably the Copper Canyon Tours. Back in the early 90's they were advertising heavily in Motorhome Magazine which I subscribed to back then.

I think that piggy-back service is gone now. Dang.

I can touch on this. I hired on with UPRR as a conductor out of the military. It isn't exactly what everyone thinks its cracked up to be. Its very much a union organization and very political. Its big business and almost all railroad employees are disgruntled. There is a sense of "being owned" by the company vs being part of it. As a conductor you are part of a senority district and can only hold jobs according to your senority within your district, all RR jobs are this way. I left being a conductor and went to BNSF as a mechanic which I enjoyed however it was the exact same big company bs. I was working for the man to pay the man. About a year ago I decided to go back to the simpler ways of life. I missed the simplistic lifestyle like living out of a rucksack while overseas having only what I needed. I left BNSF and transferred to a class 2 railroad doing the same job with full intentions on quiting and full timing by 2019. Yes, Im willing to throw a "career" away with health and retirement that many people only dream of because I know first hand Railroading is far from being "free".