Toyota Sienna owners -- how many miles before you need major repairs?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Deb_A

I wanted a Sienna because it has the most cargo room, and -- Toyota -- but I'm getting confused.

I've found some nice Siennas for sale, but they all have over 150,000 miles, and I've been reading that around 180,000, you're going to need some major expensive repairs, like transmissions. Just barely missed a 2000 with only 84,000 miles, but then I read that a lot of transmissions go out at around 89-90,000 miles. Automatic sliding doors seems to be a problem (but I guess I could have them switched to manual?), and they run through tires because they're too front-heavy (but I figure that won't be a problem with a built-out van.)

I don't want to get a van and then have to park it because I can't afford a new transmission or my doors won't stay closed. It seems reviews are all over the place. Some are great, many are lemons. Of course, every owner I talk to says there are no transmission problems, which just says to me that I'm going to be the one to get stuck with them.

I can't believe a Toyota tranny would go out before 100,000 miles. I thought that was the problem with Dodge Caravans. 

This trying to figure out which van to buy is driving me a little crazy.

After 120-150k it's a roll of the dice, lots depends on how treated, highway miles vs short runs in town, hilly area vs flat, towing or other heavy loads vs just kids and soccer balls. . .

Seen trannie jobs needed at 120k, some go 200+.

I look at a vehicle like that as 50¢ a mile total running cost, lots lower if you van find 50k or less, maybe double that getting to 130K+

So a $10000 low miles van is **likely** to be a much better value than a $4000 high miles one, that $6000 extra investment will get you **lots** more than 20000 extra trouble-free miles.

Even then, check your timing chain!

You never know, some of them can give you troubles before the 50K and others can go over 200K, depends on maintenance and many other facts.

IMO you'd really need to intentionally abuse a Toyota to need major work before 70-80K

Unless you got a lemon, but their QA processes really don't let many of those through.

My son's 2013 Tacoma came from the factory with a dry u joint and because Toyota dealer did the services it somehow got no grease and locked up at 60,000 miles, amazing that it could go that far with little or no lube. one recall that replaced the converter.

"So a $10000 low miles van is **likely** to be a much better value than a $4000 high miles one, that $6000 extra investment will get you **lots** more than 20000 extra trouble-free miles." Only I can't afford a $10,000 van. I'll be lucky if I have $10,000 altogether for the van and everything, and I need something for an emergency fund.

When I think about it, even my old '68 Dodge Dart needed some major work at about 80,000 miles. I miss that car, but it guzzled gas. Best car I ever had, though. Stupid me traded it for a danged Mustang that gave me more trouble than any other car I've ever had.

I just want to make sure I'm not the one that gets stuck with the big bills. I was hoping to find an Astro, but they seem to be few and far between around here, and without a vehicle to go to check out the ones in other cities, I'm stuck with local sales.

^^^^ I'm going for stealth and gas mileage and will be staying mostly in/around cities and towns. Don't intend to do much but sleep in the van, because the whole point of this is to see and do things before I get too old. I'm too old now for some things I'd like to see and do, just because of physical limitations.

I'd love to have a regular van, but #1, I don't have the money or the expertise to build it out right and #2, I'm on a very limited budget, so gas mileage is very, very important to me so I can travel as much as possible.

Once I've seen and done most of what I want to, I might end up with something larger, or I may give the whole thing up in a year, who knows? You never know until you try.

I wouldn't buy ANY vehicle with a TIMING BELT because they need to be changed every 80,000 or so miles.  Get a vehicle with a TIMING CHAIN.
Normally you shouldn't need to change a timing chain, although there could be an issue with a timing chain tensioner.  when you have a specific vehicle in mind you might ask for opinions then.  It's hard to give opinions on a ghost.  When you do find a vehicle let us know the actual engine it has so we can give you good information.

Most Toyota 4 cylinder engines went back to a timing chain in 2002.

bullfrog said:
Most Toyota 4 cylinder engines went back to a timing chain in 2002.

Siennas are 6 cylinders. 

Anyway, I'm sorry I bothered you. From what I've heard here and other places, I'm rethinking van dwelling entirely. The van I can afford probably wouldn't be one I could trust and I'm terrified of breaking down on the side of the road and not having any money to get it fixed.

I know nothing about car engines, don't want to know anything about car engines. I guess if you can't either fix your own or have the money to have major repairs done, it's not the life for you. 

I know to some of you, a $5,000 emergency fund is nothing, but to me, it's a huge amount. 

I'd love to travel, but not if I am going to have to live in fear of breakdowns, weather, and any manner of ill-intentioned people. I think I'll just stay where I am and maybe save every year to take a nice vacation.

Thanks for trying to help, but  every time I think I can do this, I come back to my senses and realize what a stupid idea it is for me.

I am receiving emails even though I've checked "do not subscribe," so if you could all just not reply to this, I'd appreciate it. I'm finished with this insane dream.

Deb_A said:
I know nothing about car engines, don't want to know anything about car engines. I guess if you can't either fix your own or have the money to have major repairs done, it's not the life for you. 

I think that's a very smart and reasonable assessment of your situation, because there will be break downs, and having to rely on the kindness of strangers is a risky strategy to say the least.

closeanuf said:
I wouldn't buy ANY vehicle with a TIMING BELT because they need to be changed every 80,000 or so miles.  Get a vehicle with a TIMING CHAIN.
Normally you shouldn't need to change a timing chain, although there could be an issue with a timing chain tensioner.  when you have a specific vehicle in mind you might ask for opinions then.  It's hard to give opinions on a ghost.  When you do find a vehicle let us know the actual engine it has so we can give you good information.