Town Car Living in Florida

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As Lemony Snicket started out so do I, "due to a series of unfortunate events" I am now dwelling in my vehicle. This blog is about my day to day struggles, thoughts, and adventures.

The beginning of my demise can be summed up as me making a series of poor choices over my lifetime and doing it repeatedly.

It all started many, many years ago and I won't go into all the gory details but sum them up into a few brief paragraphs.

I married the wrong person for the wrong reasons and ended up saddled with a criminal background for financial fraud as did my now ex hubster. So, I have a 30 year old ball and chain I'm still dragging. The only great thing that came out of this decision are my now adult sons.

Because of my background and having three children I quit working and was a homemaker for decades. The silver lining here is that once all the boys were in school I was in school as well. So, I do have a Florida A.A. degree and have a lot of course work towards a B.A. and I took a lot of various college level classes that interested me. This gave my hubster and I tax credits for decades.

Sadly in and around the 2010 time frame my hubster's income changed drastically due to the economy and our home was foreclosed forcing us into a rental apartment with my 3rd son who was almost 17 at the time.

In November of 2011 after dinner, a few days before the hubster's major milestone birthday, and two weeks before our lease renewal he surprised me with divorce papers. This basically dropped me out of my middle class life style and deep six'd me into poverty.

A good friend of mine who lived in a different part of the state invited me to come and live with her. She was alone and battling cancer and having me there would help her with transportation and chores. She lived in government subsidized housing and quickly added me in as a care taker. After a few months she died and the housing authority gave me two weeks to be out.

So, I moved into my mother's vacation home in a really nice area of Florida where my oldest son had been living for a few years. Sadly, he had a huge drug and alcohol problem and had sold all of his grandmother's belongings, which she was unaware of. I made the poor choice of not telling her the totality of it as I didn't want my son on the streets and wanted to get him into treatment. Well, a year and a half later he had been in and out of rehab and was still struggling with his addictions and Grandma made a surprise visit and freaked out.

She wanted him out and he had nowhere to go and this resulted in both of us being ejected from her vacation home by the court. Going for what I knew I quickly enrolled in the University and moved into a studio apartment on University Row. Where I lived for roughly nine months or so.

My son landed on the streets and spent five months on the homeless circuit doing drugs with his now pregnant girlfriend who had been homeless for several years. He got arrested and was charged with aggravated assault and was given two years in the state prison.

His girl friend who was very pregnant moved in with me at the studio and after 2 months she was able to get the assistance of several charitable organization get us moved into a two bedroom apartment in the hood. My granddaughter was born about 5 weeks later and her mom quickly went back to drinking and drugging. When the lease was up the complex would not renew. So, I moved in an apartment in a much more affordable area of the state. I lost my granddaughter when the state realized my son wasn't listed as the father on the birth certificate.

Then my son was released and I made the poor decision of moving him in with me. This worked fine for a while but in this area there aren't really any jobs and he quickly fell into drinking and drugging and fighting, which was not appropriate for the apartment complex.

Now, I'm on my own and on the streets myself. I don't have the funds, background, or the rental record to allow me to move into a new place that I can afford. There are no jobs in the area I was in, so I relocated to a larger Florida city with lots of young people in it and several schools.

And that is how this adventure began.

My vehicle ~ 2002 Lincoln Town Car Executive Edition

I named her Pookie. Huge trunk and lots of room to recline. She gets 18 mpg city and 22 on the highway. She has tinted windows and the windows in the back are tinted a lot darker. People mistake her for a cab all the time.

I have a storage unit that is 10 ft by 20 ft and $140 a month. I can fit all my stuff and Pookie in this. Its 0.3 miles from a bus transfer point. So, I can garage Pookie when needed and ride the extensive bus system with my bus pass.

Bus passes are $35 a month, $17.50 with a student ID, and free from various charities in the area.

Sadly, I got thrown into this new life style before I had a chance to research it. Because of that I am in a regular routine and my research has shown me this isn't good. So, I now have a regular routine and numerous bad habits.

My biggest bad habit is I sleep during the day ~ in a parking structure, a campus lot, the RTA car park at Wally World. At night since I am in an area with lots and lots of wild and crazy young people I frequent numerous 24 hr places restaurants, washterias, etc.

I don't cook and eat dry cereal, fruit, and at mostly feedings ~ The Sally, churches, The Market Place. I've lost 18 pounds in a couple of weeks.

Welcome! You've found a great site with loads of info that will make your town car living a bit easier.

That is indeed a long list of unfortunate events. But this is the right resource for you. Check out the "tips and tricks" thread, if you haven't.

Unfortunately I too have made a long list of bad decisions, you are not alone in that. You've come to the right place and to a group of caring people who will do anything we can to help you.

It seems like a common thread is being more concerned with others, and not concerned enough about yourself. Perhaps it's time to start putting yourself first? That's fairly common with women of your generation, it ws pounded into them by society that they weren't important, they were here to serve.

But you and your happiness are important, and I sincerely hope you find it.

We're here to offer you any support and answer your questions as best we can!!!
Bob

There's a number of forum members in Florida, best of luck to you :)

I know that here in Key West, there are a couple programs for women that offer both shelter, food, and resources to help people get on their feet again, and that they work with the local college to make adult education possible. They also help people identify and address some of the underlying issues that keep causing the same problems over and over...from substance abuse to co-dependency.
I'm not judging...just mentioning some ideas that have worked out well for people I know.
I'm just a gratefully recovering addict who loves co-dependents...because they always bring cookies ;)

Been there.  As an enabler sometimes you have to let the other person hit rock bottom on their own.  

All you can do is to use your resources to rebuild.  I sold my movie collection on eBay to put food on the table, and build my van.  

Research out the community resources.  Sometimes it helps to put things in someone else s hands and just follow directions.  Just be careful.  You are not alone.

I have been told that the crisis lines in many areas can be a gold mine for available resources for people in need...

Thank you all for your welcome and responses. 

I definitely have some serious co-dependency issue I need to address; I was raised to be a care taker especially when it comes to my children. It's going to be extremely hard to overcome.

I am aware that there are crisis lines to aid those in need. Here in my area it's 211 on any phone. They have been very helpful with finding resources. Fortunately for me, since my son was homeless for a period of time, prior to his incarceration, I was no stranger to homelessness when I became homeless here recently.

I do have some income so I am blessed not to be destitute. I will have to find a job. I also seem to be a lot less stressed now that I don't have the worry of how I'll pay rent and utilities. AND... for the first time in decades I don't feel like a couch potato (although I do miss a lot of my own home cooking).

I'm planning on posting my journey and progress here. I can't always get on the net so it might take a while to reply.

I spend half the weekend in Waldo, Florida. On highway 301 there is a great Pilot with a Dunkin Donuts and Arby's (currently rebuilding). There is plenty of car and truck parking. The bathroom is very clean. The handicapped stall has a solid door that goes almost to the ceiling and floor. It was the perfect place to wash up and I intended to do just that, including washing my hair in the sink. The sink had a nice high spigot. Or so I thought!!!

[size=small]As perfect as it seemed, there was no hot or even warm water. Ha! Good thing Saturday was very, very warm in Waldo.[/size]

[size=small]Just across the street there is big flea market. The Waldo Flea Market is open Saturday and Sunday (8 am to 4:30 pm). I realized in the back on the south side where was a wooded parking area. I also noticed that several of the vendors camp there during the weekend. They vend during market hours and crash there for the night.[/size]

[size=small]Lots and lots of fresh veggies and fruit. I've been eating apples, oranges, and bananas. I brought a nice sized butternut squash back with me and will now figure out how to get it tender in the microwave I plug in to my storage outlet tomorrow.[/size]