Towing with a Truck Cap

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iambucket

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was thinking about getting a truck cap because when you live in your trailer being able to keep more in your truck is a huge plus. Has anybody towed with a capped truck and what was your experience?

I mostly interested in if the visibility comprise was worth it. I know you're mirrors are your eyes anyway if you have a trailer but for those few spots you can still see looking back that you lose with a cap. 

This is not really a question about mileage because that a pretty polarized topic.

My friend Lou does it. People with windowless cargo vans also tow trailers. You adapt to the amount of reward visibility you have or don't have.

I towed an Airstream for years with a '77 Ford F250 extended cab with a camper shell... no problem. It was a little more of a nuisance to hitch up, but you get used to it.

For me personally it would be the exact same as I only use the side mirrors for backing up, so i'd def rather the cap. The reward of extra dry storage far outweighs the slight decrease in visibility. People tow with SUV's all the time, which is essentially a pick up with a cap.

with the proper use of proper mirrors you have no blind spots. so don't worry get a cap and get god mirrors and learn how to use them. highdesertranger

I have a passenger side window in my cap that I make sure and not block, as well as a rear window that I keep a few inches clear at the top that helps judging distance when backing. With good mirrors and practice no problems.

I am planning to do this very thing.  Haven't tried it yet, but I bought a wireless "backup" camera set up with two cameras.  I plan to mount one on back of the trailer and one on back of the truck for when I don't have the trailer with me.   Hoping the wireless signal will reach from the back of the trailer to the cab. Not sure how long the cameras will last if they are on all the time, but I'll see

Yes, yes, I know.  Good mirrors are all I need.  It's the 21st century.  Embrace the technology already.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I am planning to do this very thing.  Haven't tried it yet, but I bought a wireless "backup" camera set up with two cameras.  I plan to mount one on back of the trailer and one on back of the truck for when I don't have the trailer with me.   Hoping the wireless signal will reach from the back of the trailer to the cab. Not sure how long the cameras will last if they are on all the time, but I'll see

Yes, yes, I know.  Good mirrors are all I need.  It's the 21st century.  Embrace the technology already.

I have that camear setup on my trailer, although mine is a wired camera....works well. I heard that with the wireless, you can lose signal with a trailer.....too far away and too many obstacles to go through.

I have a cap on my truck. I think I might be spatially challenged because I never back up to the trailer hitch right the first time and I could get right under the hitch the first time without it. But, I git 'er done - no biggie. Backing the trailer is the same, with or without.

Probably 80% of the trucks I've owned I've put caps on, never had an issue towing with them on... but to be fair I really don't use the rearview mirror at all, I learned to drive using side mirrors.

Alright, thanks for the feedback. Seems caps are the way to go

Every Road Leads Home said:
For me personally it would be the exact same as I only use the side mirrors for backing up, so i'd def rather the cap.  The reward of extra dry storage far outweighs the slight decrease in visibility.  People tow with SUV's all the time, which is essentially a pick up with a cap.

This. I only use rearview mirror to power open the window. Even with regular mirrors, I never used the rearview. Now with tow mirrors, I can see everything I need and then some.

Optimistic Paranoid said:

Well good mirrors are all you need, but doesn't mean you can't enjoy a rear view camera too.  Makes hooking up to the ball so much faster.  And any added views never hurt.

I have no problem towing with a trailer and cap, although I will admit that hooking is a bit harder

iambucket said:
Alright, thanks for the feedback. Seems caps are the way to go
In my opinion it would be about identical to towing with a van.