Towing Capacity

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started full timing with a Jeep Wrangler and looked around for a trailer that I thought I could tow and I wound up with a 16 foot scamp trailer. Due to the Jeeps short wheel base I had to be careful but I got by for 2 years.

I traded the Jeep in for a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 V10 so I could load my Harley in the bed. Since I had a bigger truck I traded the Scamp in for a 23 foot travel trailer.

I only get 9 miles to the gallon but I really appreciate the power and towing capacity of the Dodge.

Like so many things in life there's a lot of things you can get away with but it's a question of whether you should and if it's sustainable

It's not just the weight that limits your towing ability with a small engine, it's frontal area. The drag of a towing a typical travel trailer is like pulling a sail and will quickly kill your transmission, especially if it's an auto.

If you need to tow with a sub-optimal tow vehicle I recommend a pop-up trailer like a Trailmanor, Aliner or the like with a small frontal area.

I towed an Aliner with a 4 cyl car (tow tuned and with a transmission cooler) for years. I recently sold it after purchasing a motorhome. The car I used to tow her with will be my toad.

Here's an article I wrote for Bob about my rig. https://www.cheaprvliving.com/which-vehicle-to-live-in/living-traveling-pop-aliner-trailer/

Chip

Driving slowly makes a huge difference.

Pretend it's the thirties, enjoy the sights along the way, stop and chat with the locals.

Why's everyone in such a rush?

Bobflhtc said:
I started full timing with a Jeep Wrangler and looked around for a trailer that I thought I could tow and I wound up with a 16 foot scamp trailer. Due to the Jeeps short wheel base I had to be careful but I got by for 2 years.

I traded the Jeep in for a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 V10 so I could load my Harley in the bed. Since I had a bigger truck I traded the Scamp in for a 23 foot travel trailer.

I only get 9 miles to the gallon but I really appreciate the power and towing capacity of the Dodge.

Like so many things in life there's a lot of things you can get away with but it's a question of whether you should and if it's sustainable

Thanks so much Bob! I appreciate the experience sharing! This type of stuff definitely helps. In the spring when I sell my house hopefully. I and my adult son will be moving into the camper. I want to travel a bit in the summer but then I will be parking it during the school year so I can go to work. I didn't want to have to drive a big gas guzzler back and forth to work. Then the following summer I want to travel some more and who knows what's after that. So I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle the situation. That's why I was trying to get by with a smaller vehicle. Im guessing I gotta give in to the bigger one.

John61CT said:
Driving slowly makes a huge difference.

Pretend it's the thirties, enjoy the sights along the way, stop and chat with the locals.

Why's everyone in such a rush?
That sounds wonderful!

Latest posts