Topper sleeping area

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlasKen

Reaction score
I am the new guy so I thought I would share a couple of photos of a modular unit I built for my truck/topper.  I am able to keep it stocked with some side storage and can be on the road with wife and dog with 2 hours notice.  By myself about 10 minutes notice as I keep a go bag in the truck.  

When camping with my wife and Aussie puppy we put a 4" queen size mattress with the setup with the high bed.  We can store a bunch of stuff underneath.  We spent 4 beautiful days camping with views of Denali.  Not a cloud in the sky for all 4 days.  That is rare here.

I built this based on a unit I had 30 years ago that I lived in during wheat harvest in NM.  Much cooler here but works equally as well.  This was minimal expense to build and I can just sleep in the back with a sleeping bag on the carpet, although a thermarest pad is nice.

Plan is to spend a lot of summer camping around AK after retirement.  I look forward to getting new ideas from those of you here.

Attachments

• topperalasken14.jpg
    topperalasken14.jpg
    40.3 KB
  • topperalasken13.jpg
    topperalasken13.jpg
    40 KB
  • topperalasken12.jpg
    topperalasken12.jpg
    40.4 KB
Nice setup. Reminds me of what Dad had in his truck. Back then as kids we would ride in the back under the camper shell.

I like that setup. Makes me kinda wish we'd gone with a full sized truck, our Nissan is juuust long enough to get into in a pinch, but a bit short for regular use.

AlasKen (great name!),

Love that set up! Simple, but solid. Also creates an "outta sight, outta mind" scenario for unwanted eyes.