tools for taking along

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CityBear

Reaction score
Getting ready to fulltime, and going through my tools, and trying to decide what I need, and what I need to get rid off.  Does anyone have a list of the basic tools which one would need to fulltime.

Sort of depends.

How handy are you with tools?  Will you do all your own work, or hire pros for some of it?

Are you living in a van or an RV?  You might need some plumbing tools for the later but not the former.

Auto mechanic tools
woodworking tools
electrician tools
plumbing tools
painting tools

We could probably come up with separate lists for each category.

IMO, the first thing to get is a repair manual for your vehicle.
Mechanic tools aside, you might find these handy, this is what I consider a very basic list of tools, but not enough to do major vehicle repairs.
1. A four way screwdriver. You know, the one that has two sizes each Phillips, and slot on each end, and slides into the handle.
2. A couple pair of pliers, one for holding the item still while you manipulate the part being worked on with the other.
3. Small hack saw.
4. Electricians tape.
5. Assortment of end wrenches.
6. Two medium sized Crescent wrenches.
7. Small can of WD40.
8. Small tool box to keep these in.
Your basic tool kit will grow as you need specialty tools, trust me.

I have a small and growing collection of 18v Ryobi cordless tools, drill, impact driver, circular saw, saws all, vacuum, flash lights, etc. Since I am converting to solar I also bought the DC "In Vehicle" charger.

I have a set of electronics tools. Tester. Butane soldering iron and torch. Wire cutters, strippers and crimps.

There is the standard collection of screw drivers, sockets and wrenches.

For leather working I have what I need to make or mend just about thing I need.

In terms of shovels and rakes and implements of destruction I have a shovel and an axe and a hatchet, and a saw, etc. I also have a 14 inch gas powered chainsaw I'm planning to bring.

Lots of people find the collapsable ladders handy but I'm a big buy so I bought one of those modular folding jobs. 7 foot folding ladder or 13 feet extended. That'll get me on my roof.

Things I think I'm gonna need?

Heavy duty tow straps
vehicle specific tools
oil and other fluids changing materials
heavy duty ramps
heavy duty jack
air compressor strong enough to fill the tires on my E450 duelly
10,000 pound winch

I'm certain as the build progresses and I learn more about my vehicle my list will grow.

I am getting rid of 80% of the tools I thought I needed.

Pipe wrenches?  Skill Saw?  Copper fittings?  8 tape measures?   :huh:

It is down to 3 boxes and a tub of cordless.  

Electrical, Auto, Drilling and cutting.  

I loaned out more tools tan I used myself.

GotSmart said:
I am getting rid of 80% of the tools I thought I needed.

This is why I laid out a very basic list of tools in post #3.

Unfortunately I'm still working. I couldn't even begin to list the tools I carry around, but suffice it to say I have enough tools to build a house, plumb it, wire it, heat it, etc... and enough tools to rebuild my truck if needed. And that doesn't even count the shop at home or the "extra" cargo trailer that acts as a mobile tool shed. I have gotten to the point of only buying tools to replace broken or worn out ones now. I'm also looking at what I use day to day, and at least thinking through the process of downsizing to the minimum. When I semi retire in a few years I dream of having a rig that is comfortable to live in on the road, and still has enough tools in it that I can work on projects I want to. I remember reading somewhere that Harrison Ford traveled South America for a time in a Jeep with a bag full of carpenter tools earning a living as he went - that would be a dream!

I still have way too many tools but I got rid of more than 3/4 of them when I moved into my first moho.
One thing I can say about that is it broke me of my tool buying addiction after seeing how many I gave away and sold for next to nothing !!

"My name is popeye and I used to be a tool-a-holic!"

I've got a few years to go through my tools and decide what I keep. Most of my mechanics tools will stay and I'll try to carry as many carpentry tools as I can since I plan to make money that way on the side. I've gotten rid of all my big stuff like planers, joiners, etc. It'll be hard deciding what to keep when the time comes.