Tool Storage

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
compassrose said:
If you use a hitchhaul with a storage/tool box on it, you need to bolt the box thru the hitchhaul (and use a locking hitch pin). Also you may need to get add on trailer lights if the boxes cover any of your tail lights. Mine just plugs into the trailer light wiring. This way I can easily remove what ever I'm hauling.

I have scaled my carpentry and repair tools down to minimums. I have a couple of metal ammo boxes that holds sockets and the other holds wrenches. I have restaurant bus totes (bought in the restaurant supply section of Sam's Club) to hold my tools, etc. They slide up under the bed. The smaller things are in smaller storage boxes that fit in the bus totes.

And the stuff that I have hung on pegboard doesn't fall off. Anything I think might fall off (like my hair dryer), I use elastic bands and cup hooks, etc to prevent that.

I have also scaled way down. For example, I currently use just 2 top boxes. I used to have the 2 I currently use plus 2 bottom chests, 2 middle boxes(between the tops and bottoms), and 3 side cabinets hanging off the bottom boxes plus a 3 drawer cart. All of the stuff I am not carrying now, I either sold or I left at my mother's house.

Just remember that adding a hitch haul will make your departure angle worse . . .

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Just remember that adding a hitch haul will make your departure angle worse . . .

Regards
John

What do you mean by "departure angle"?

Much like an overhang on any vehicle, a hitch hauler will change the degree of slope that you can tackle without dragging the back end of the hauler on the ground.

Some of this can be mitigated by using a hitch that has an upward curve to it so that the frame of the hauler sits higher off the ground.

The only other circumstance that one has to be very cognizant of the hauler is when you're backing up... you're longer than you look in the mirror and it's easy to forget it's there.

ramblingvanman said:
I don't think peg boards would work with all of the traveling. Seems like things would fall off. I have a chevy G20 class B rv. I have completely gutted the interior except for the couch bed. Which I may remove later after building my real bed. I planned to post some pics, but realized my camera was dead from disuse for the last couple of years. I am charging it now.

If you were to go with peg board or any other sort of static vertical platform, you have to get creative with straps or latches or whatever for every item. It requires creativity and most people find it to be too much work, but using vertical surface area makes for items that are easier to get to, better organized, and take up less space.

I know that if half my tools were buried under my bed and I had to crawl under there from the back doors to get them, they'd never get used!

I've been using peg board in all my rigs for many years, almost never had anything fall off even though they are forward facing in my current van.

I don't have any pictures, but i have a friend who works from his van. He built a divider wall about 2 feet from the back door and covered it with peg board and also has peg board on the inside of the doors themselves--essentially it is his garage. His tools are extremly organized!! He has boxes stacked on the floor I think about 2 high, but I don't remember and everything above is pegboard and shelves. If you get an extended van, you won't even miss the lost space.
Bob

Do you need to haul the boxes out of the van for use elsewhere or can you just drive up to whatever you're working on? Some sort of built-in cabinets may be the way to go. Build in heavy drawers that are accessible when you open the back door. Get those side lids that open up where the windows would normally be (sorry forget the name) and have cabinets built in there.

For my open end, closed end, and GearWrenches, I roll them up in tool roll pouches. The GearWrenches double up in their respective SAE and metric roll up pouches. Then I put the SAE in one bag and the metric in another. Then I put those in the final bag. I can slam those things around without a worry in the world and it is about as compact as can be. The shape is somewhat fluid, so it has more flexibility to fit in different shaped spaces. Those go on the bottom with a tool box on top. I sure wouldn't put my multimeter in there.

I've tried to be as organized as possible while combining as much as possible. I put some funnels and graduated containers in my "hitting stuff" box. It has hammers, pry bars, chisels, punches, etc. It is about as heavy as I want it, but had quite a bit of space left in it, so I set my funnels in there and they fit great!

I use Plano adjustable storage boxes for zip ties, washers, screws, cotter pins, and other small misc. It really keeps things organized when on the move and still is very efficient on space.

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-23600-0...?ie=UTF8&qid=1439328595&sr=8-1&keywords=plano

I've accepted that I won't have the easy access of my tools like having a full size tool box with ball bearing trays with a tool cart in a cement-floored garage. I never had that stuff when I was a kid and just lived with it. Being as organized as possible helps tremendously when pulling boxes and bags full of tools out.

Perhaps you could mount hooks of some sort on the underside of the lids to take advantage of any space that may be unused there.

I also got rid of some funnels and use a New Pig form-a-funnel. It isn't a total replacement for funnels, but it is a decent compromise for the amount of space it saves.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Pig-Flexi...TF8&qid=1439328954&sr=8-2&keywords=pig+funnel

(Sarcasim Alert) [emoji41]

Just buy a Snap on franchise. You get all the tools you could ever want, and a free stepvan thrown in for the trouble. I bet you won't be very stealthy with mechanics chasing ya down, but you make some good money while
"work camping" [emoji12]

What about "pull-out drawers"? big enough to hold up the whole tool chest. I do flooring installation and i got tired of climbing over the material just to get to my tools, so i built a 7" drawer the length of my van. All of my major tools can be got without getting IN the van. But also, I'm building a small camper TT to pull behind, so i don't have to live with my tools under foot. Hitch on front and a winch to plug into in and hopefully getting UNstuck will be taken care of.

ramblingvanman said:
I have considered a trailer, but rejected it for several reasons. I even installed a hitch when I was first thinking about it. I rejected it for the following:
1) increased cost from purchasing the trailer plus tax, title, tags etc..
2) insurance costs
3) increased fuel consumption
4) parking issues
5) Even less stealthy than I am currently
6) I want to boondock on BLM land and I am concerned that the trailer might get stuck.

The only "pro" was the increased storage space.

You are correct about your concerns. I have 2 floor jacks, 2 sets of jack stands, 2 bottle jacks, pry bars, persuader pipes and other implements that don't fit in the tool boxes anyway. I may end up with a trailer or I may end up abandoning the idea of selling mechanical services altogether.

Find a reasonable space for the tools you use most and only take jobs that you can do with only those tools.

I'm in the same boat and I have resolved to carry less tools and limit the jobs I accept.  I can't live in a van and do full service work at the same time.

Some boondocking on BLM land is doable with a cargo trailer, but not all.   Again, we do what we can and don't attempt what we are not equipped to do.

Hope this helps.

so I guess a service body van is out of the question?   here's what I drive.
004.JPG
this truck will go anywhere, almost.
besides all of the common tools in metric and sae,  wrenches,  sockets 1/4-3/4,  I have  oxy/acetylene tanks,  mig welder,  air compressor, electrical meters, a small hoist on the back and a winch on the front.  I also carry a gas powered shop vac,  chain saw,  and various power tools(rechargeable and corded).  if I can't fix it on the road it's pretty efed up.  highdesertranger

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    1,021.2 KB
Wow, this thread got popular real fast. I think many of us are in the same boat. I feel like I need to haul enough tools to completely build a house, and enough mechanic tools to fix anything on my rig. That pretty much takes up an entire truck bed and topper, even trying to minimize and be organized. Right now my solution is to tow a 6x12 cargo trailer that I converted to living quarters. It really is comfortable, but I'd like to be on the road much more and would like to not have to tow a trailer all the time. I'd really like a 4x4 van, but just can't seem to figure a layout that will fit everything and still give me a comfortable living space. That said, you already have the van so might as well try and make it work. The best set up I've seen is similar to what Bob posted, but the wall only went down to the top of the bed platform. Then is was open under the bed for storing long stuff and tool boxes on sliding plywood platforms under the bed. It was divided into 3 compartments so no one slide became to heavy to pull out. The lady even had a wood lathe, bench grinder, and small band saw in there! I think I saw it in Loyd Kahn's book "Tiny Houses on Wheels". She probably had a divider across the bed also as she had plastic boxes and a porta potty accessible from the "living" side on the van.

First of all for HDR -- I think that "ruff-ruff" barking sound Tim (the tool man) Taylor used to make on his show when he saw some heavy-duty "man stuff" would be appropriate for your rig.

I have nothing to contribute on the tools, but I've been reading this because I like to learn about storage ideas for small rigs.

I was surprised, however, that Bob did not give more of his thoughts on the hitch-haul. He is currently using one on his van as he's traveling fast and light for the summer. But, also, he normally (when not doing a big road trip) still pulls his cargo trailer living quarters, doesn't he? (Don't you Bob?) And Bob goes back of the beyond quite often so he gets out there with a trailer. Am I having a "senior moment" or isn't this so?

Hitch hauler sounds doable. I would go all out on a good secure box and receiver lock. I have seen light weight floor Jacks not sure if they are worth the investment. A few jobs on the road will pay for itself

I do have a Hitch Hail that Judy and I took to Alaska last summer and I am carrying this year around Wyoming. I love it and consider it essential to my travels. However mine doesn't swing-away so I can barely get into my back doors. That doesn't bother me at all but it probably wouldn't work for the OP. My set-up was fairly cheap, the Hitch Haul is a very good one and cost maybe $120 and the Job Box I got from Home Depot was about $70. I'd be willing to load it up with tools. My 1 ton van can handle it but I would suggest a Class V hitch instead of the Class III I have.

I have never once thought I can't go down a road because of it. On a regular basis I don't take roads because they are too rough but that's because I have 2wd van and never because of the box on back.

The swing-away units are over $500, I think they are about $700 which is very expensive. I also would NOT put tools in it because the leverage on that arm would be way too much. You would want to keep it very light and put the tools inside the van and your personal stuff in the swing-away.

I have a post were i discuss both, you can find it here:
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/using-hitch-haul-cargo-carrier-receiver-hitch-extra-cargo-space/

As far as my 6x10 cargo trailer, yes, it greatly restricts where I can go. It's much better than an RV and I've taken it many places where no other RV could go (except a Tiger or 4x4 van but they are over $100,000) but it does restrict where even a 2wd van can go.

This is my hitch haul and job box on Judys van to Alaska last year:

hh-boxes-on.jpg

The Job Box open:
hh-lots-of-room.jpg

A friends swing-away hitch box:

hh-swing-away.jpg

Bob

I just went looking at prices (because I'm curious) - the stowaway2 is $659 but that includes the box.

I also found this one which I actually like a little better

http://www.hitchcorner.com/hitch-cargo-racks.htm

Instead of swinging to the passenger side it slides out on an extension rail so that you can access the rear doors. It was designed for the SUV crowd with lift tailgates but it would work for both pick-ups and vans.

To my mind swinging the hauler toward the passenger side is assbackwards - it's the passenger door that opens first and I'd have to go out and around it to get to the doors.

It's also worthwhile to check your weight limits because they vary greatly by manufacturer.

The swing away hitch is more than I want to spend. I am buying 2 foot lockers and a few tool bags. I will use that for tool storage.

I used to keep 85% of my tools in my van.  I hated putting them elsewhere,  as they would always seem to be the exact tool I then needed, and no longer had.  but I also carried around tools I did not use in years and had completely forgot about, and would not even have known to look for.

Space and weight is certainly an Issue.  My tools are more along the lines of carpentry tools, but I certainly have enough wrench turning tools as well.

Right now, I have a small workshop and 95% of my tools are in that instead.

Over the years I have saved the plastic blow molded boxes that power tools come in.  I then gut the interior blow molding to open up all that dead space for more tool storage.

like My new Soldering gun came with such a case that the only thing that fit inside was the gun and a small tube of solder and flux and no more.

I cut out the interior and now have everything I could ever desire for soldering in one handy box.  i left the original Gun holder so it is still held immobile, but now I can stuff things under it and all around the sides of it.  Same for my Dremel case.  it was able to store a dremel and a few accessories. I gutted it and now can fit everything dremel related in one casing.

I use many of these boxes with the interior guts cut out for tool storage.  They stack well and are easy to carry and  open. 

Perhaps you can utilize something something similar.

removing the blow molding from the interior of these plastic cases can be challenging, and even dangerous if one is using a razor.  I've taken to using a dremel with an actual saw blade instead.  Much easier, but messier and smellier.

Make sure not to remove the lip of the casing, as then it can become wobbly or let smaller bits escape out the cracks.