Tool Storage

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramblingvanman

Reaction score
As a mechanic, I have a lot of tools. Working around the space taken up by my 2 tool boxes is my major concern as far as building while living in my van is concerned. I can move the smaller box while full, but the bigger box I would have to empty before moving. I have pared down my tool selection as much as possible, more than I am comfortable with really, and my boxes still take up a lot of room. I may have to bite the bullet and ditch the boxes altogether. I plan to offer rv/vehicle/golf cart repair services to my fellow travelers to help fund my traveling. That means my tools need to be organized. Do you guys have any alternate tool storage ideas that would allow me to ditch my boxes?

gsfish said:
I don't have any tool storage suggestions but I have a neighbor that did a similar gig when he was sailboat cruising with good results.

Guy

I can see  that. He could probably make good money just cleaning the barnacles off of the bottom of small to midsized boats.

Maybe not ditch the concept of tool boxes altogether but use smaller ones.

I find that in vans, several smaller totes work better than one big one. It's easier to find a spot for something small than to have one large 'thing' that always seems to be in the way. That way they also can be light enough each that you can move them without having to empty them. Also some plastic cases used for craft/hobby storage can be more versatile than the conventional metal tool boxes.

I've also seen soft side vinyl wraps be put in to use for such things as wrench sets. They roll up and can be stored separately from tool boxes. Little cubbyholes and small compartments built in to the wasted space in the doors can be put to use that way.

The only thing with smaller storage units and putting them wherever they fit is that you have to remember where you put them... :rolleyes:

Multiple smaller toolboxes and tool bags.

One with your 1/4" and 3/8" sockets and smaller wrenches + screwdrivers and pliers.

One with your 1/2" and larger wrenches for chassis work and other heavier duties.

One with  your large hammers, cold chisels, punches, hacksaws, files, and similar metal working/construction tools.

One set up for just electrical wiring issues,  wire strippers, crimpers, electricians pliers, some screwdrivers, your DMM, and so on

Could do one box with just the stuff you would need for working on golf carts, including battery tools.

Plumbing box?  Carpentry box?  3/4" socket set?

Each box or bag could be clearly labeled and you'd only take the tools you needed for a particular job.

Regards
John

Almost There said:
Maybe not ditch the concept of tool boxes altogether but use smaller ones.

I find that in vans, several smaller totes work better than one big one. It's easier to find a spot for something small than to have one large 'thing' that always seems to be in the way. That way they also can be light enough each that you can move them without having to empty them. Also some plastic cases used for craft/hobby storage can be more versatile than the conventional metal tool boxes.

I've also seen soft side vinyl wraps be put in to use for such things as wrench sets. They roll up and can be stored separately from tool boxes. Little cubbyholes and small compartments built in to the wasted space in the doors can be put to use that way.

The only thing with smaller storage units and putting them wherever they fit is that you have to remember where you put them... :rolleyes:

Good ideas on the whole, but if I am replacing some Rver's alternator wouldn't that be a lot of time/trouble looking for all of my tools if they are spread out like that? I don't know how much work I can actually expect, but I like the idea of my tools being organized and close together. Maybe tool bags in a foot locker? That is what is making this difficult. I want organization so I can work more efficiently, but using standard tool chests is taking up too much valuable real estate. Should I just keep my tools for personal use and look for other ways to make money? I am fairly competent at using my computer. I have considered "turking" though that doesn't seem like it yields enough money to be worthwhile imo. Please correct me if I am wrong.
LOL, am I derailing my own thread? Should I move that question to the money matters thread?

Rather than work out of the boxes, find a way to build some sort of static system that will hold your tools vertically. Maybe pegboard... magnets... pockets sewn into fabric... some combination thereof. Possibly build a wall at the back doors of your vehicle for this purpose (not sure what your vehicle is).

In my van I have a full toolkit with cordless drill, impact, reciprocating saw, circular saw, light, shop vac, crescent set, carpentry hand tools (hammer/pry bars/squares etc) and lots of other misc. tools and none are visible walking through the living space.

Boxes just take up room.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Multiple smaller toolboxes and tool bags.

One with your 1/4" and 3/8" sockets and smaller wrenches + screwdrivers and pliers.

One with your 1/2" and larger wrenches for chassis work and other heavier duties.

One with  your large hammers, cold chisels, punches, hacksaws, files, and similar metal working/construction tools.

One set up for just electrical wiring issues,  wire strippers, crimpers, electricians pliers, some screwdrivers, your DMM, and so on

Could do one box with just the stuff you would need for working on golf carts, including battery tools.

Plumbing box?  Carpentry box?  3/4" socket set?

Each box or bag could be clearly labeled and you'd only take the tools you needed for a particular job.

Regards
John

Yeah, I was just thinking about that in my last post. Great minds think alike. ::) wonder how sturdy my shelving would have to be to hold that kind of weight? I am definitely no carpenter, not by a long shot.

ramblingvanman said:
As a mechanic, I have a lot of tools. Working around the space taken up by my 2 tool boxes is my major concern as far as building while living in my van is concerned. I can move the smaller box while full, but the bigger box I would have to empty before moving. I have pared down my tool selection as much as possible, more than I am comfortable with really, and my boxes still take up a lot of room. I may have to bite the bullet and ditch the boxes altogether. I plan to offer rv/vehicle/golf cart repair services to my fellow travelers to help fund my traveling. That means my tools need to be organized. Do you guys have any alternate tool storage ideas that would allow me to ditch my boxes?
What about a small trailer. A floor jack , two set of jack stands and tools to be a mechanic will be tough in a van

TMG51 said:
Rather than work out of the boxes, find a way to build some sort of static system that will hold your tools vertically. Maybe pegboard... magnets... pockets sewn into fabric... some combination thereof. Possibly build a wall at the back doors of your vehicle for this purpose (not sure what your vehicle is).

In my van I have a full toolkit with cordless drill, impact, reciprocating saw, circular saw, light, shop vac, crescent set, carpentry hand tools (hammer/pry bars/squares etc) and lots of other misc. tools and none are visible walking through the living space.

Boxes just take up room.

I don't think peg boards would work with all of the traveling. Seems like things would fall off. I have a chevy G20 class B rv. I have completely gutted the interior except for the couch bed. Which I may remove later after building my real bed. I planned to post some pics, but realized my camera was dead from disuse for the last couple of years. I am charging it now.

Gambler said:
What about a small trailer. A floor jack , two set of jack stands and tools to be a mechanic will be tough in a van

I have considered a trailer, but rejected it for several reasons. I even installed a hitch when I was first thinking about it. I rejected it for the following:
1) increased cost from purchasing the trailer plus tax, title, tags etc..
2) insurance costs
3) increased fuel consumption
4) parking issues
5) Even less stealthy than I am currently
6) I want to boondock on BLM land and I am concerned that the trailer might get stuck.

The only "pro" was the increased storage space.

You are correct about your concerns. I have 2 floor jacks, 2 sets of jack stands, 2 bottle jacks, pry bars, persuader pipes and other implements that don't fit in the tool boxes anyway. I may end up with a trailer or I may end up abandoning the idea of selling mechanical services altogether.

You have a G20 based RV?  Rear doors that open?  Were you going to build the bed across the back?  If so, I'd line the tool boxes up under the bed and retrieve them by opening the back door.  Could build a divider under the bed so the tool boxes were reachable from outside, and other, non-tool stuff was reachable from the inside.

Just a thought.

BTW, if you want some nice jack stands that are easy to store, take a look at http://safejacks.com/collections/compact-jack-stands

Regards
John

Perhaps a hitch hauler will work better than a trailer.

They're available with a swing away feature so that you can get in to the back doors without unloading and detaching it. Some have higher weight limits than others so shopping around is a must.

No tags, insurance or increased gas mileage except for the weight which you'd be carrying someplace anyways. Parking means taking 2 spots so that no one runs in to the hauler but oh well! No low clearance problems.

You have a G20 based RV?  Rear doors that open?  Were you going to build the bed across the back?  If so, I'd line the tool boxes up under the bed and retrieve them by opening the back door.  Could build a divider under the bed so the tool boxes were reachable from outside, and other, non-tool stuff was reachable from the inside.

Just a thought.

BTW, if you want some nice jack stands that are easy to store, take a look at http://safejacks.com/collections/compact-jack-stands

Regards
John

Yes, rear doors open, but when my big box is full I am not able to move it very far. At a minimum, I guess the big box will have to go. But storing them under the bed is a good idea. I was planning to store my clothes and stuff there, but I can always put in other storage for that. The tools would not be reachable under the bed at all. When the lids are closed, the drawers are held shut. If I make a "coffin locker" style bed, then I could open the lid which would release the drawers. OTOH, if I adopt the multiple bag/smaller box strategy I could store it all under the bed easily enough.

Almost There said:
Perhaps a hitch hauler will work better than a trailer.

They're available with a swing away feature so that you can get in to the back doors without unloading and detaching it. Some have higher weight limits than others so shopping around is a must.

No tags, insurance or increased gas mileage except for the weight which you'd be carrying someplace anyways. Parking means taking 2 spots so that no one runs in to the hauler but oh well! No low clearance problems.

This sounds promising. Let me google it. Do you recommend any particular one? How secure are they?

Ok, so what I would need is the hitch hauler and one of the aluminum truck tool boxes mounted to it. Is that your suggestion? Or did you have something else in mind? It would definitely work.

https://www.tradesmantruck.com/cata...desman-specialty-cargo-hitch-receiver-box.jpg

I would like something like this, though I would not consider the plastic secure enough.
http://www.stowaway2.com/resize/Sha..._standard6.jpg?lr=t&bw=550&w=550&bh=550&h=550

here's a vid of a hitch carrier

[video=youtube]

ramblingvanman said:
I may end up with a trailer or I may end up abandoning the idea of selling mechanical services altogether.

Well, if you want to sell mechanical services, you will need to not spend so much time off boondocking by yourself.  You need to be findable when someone needs you.  Maybe you could spend the season at Quartzite, work hard for a couple or three months, and make enough to travel and boondock the other nine months of the year?

As for trailers, there are trailers designed to follow a jeep damn near anywhere the jeep can go.  Some are conversions of military surplus trailers, others are scratch built.  Many of them use the same wheels and tires as the jeep for commonality of spare tire.  There is an active sub-forum devoted to these over on Expedition Portal:  http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/42-Expedition-Trailers

You could do a simple steel frame sized to take a couple or three toolboxes designed for the back of a pickup, and it wouldn't be very big at all.  Weld the running gear under the frame and use something like the Lock and Roll coupler https://locknroll.com/  and with tires and rims that match your van, it would go anywhere your van would.

Regards
John

I've always built my beds so that there is separate storage available from the rear doors when opened and also from inside the van. The dividing wall provides structural support and keeps things compartmentalized so they don't slide all over the place.

My rear storage unit provides space for things like the barbecue and propane stove, my sewing machines, tool kits - basically all the things I don't need for living IN the van. The front storage compartments have been used for extra blankets/pillows, clothes storage, whatever you need to access from inside the van. This one will have the freezer unit under there because I no longer want to have to get on my knees to dig things out but I have a lot of other storage available because of the high top... :)

The rear half of the bed could be designed with a hinged lift lid so that you could prop it up to get in to the tool boxes from the top.

As to the hitch haulers, some are just the basket, some come with heavy duty lockable boxes. Heck, the frame could be equipped with diamond plate lockable box(es) if you want. Some just use the basket and wrap a tarp over it or just bungie totes on it. It can be as secure as you want to make it.

Well, if you want to sell mechanical services, you will need to not spend so much time off boondocking by yourself.  You need to be findable when someone needs you.  Maybe you could spend the season at Quartzite, work hard for a couple or three months, and make enough to travel and boondock the other nine months of the year?

Regards
John
Your second idea is more inline with my plan.

Almost There said:
As to the hitch haulers, some are just the basket, some come with heavy duty lockable boxes. Heck, the frame could be equipped with diamond plate lockable box(es) if you want.

This sounds like it would work well for me. Do you have a good link?

If you use a hitchhaul with a storage/tool box on it, you need to bolt the box thru the hitchhaul (and use a locking hitch pin). Also you may need to get add on trailer lights if the boxes cover any of your tail lights. Mine just plugs into the trailer light wiring. This way I can easily remove what ever I'm hauling.

I have scaled my carpentry and repair tools down to minimums. I have a couple of metal ammo boxes that holds sockets and the other holds wrenches. I have restaurant bus totes (bought in the restaurant supply section of Sam's Club) to hold my tools, etc. They slide up under the bed. The smaller things are in smaller storage boxes that fit in the bus totes.

And the stuff that I have hung on pegboard doesn't fall off. Anything I think might fall off (like my hair dryer), I use elastic bands and cup hooks, etc to prevent that.