Took first step

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

readyfortheroad

Reaction score
Hello to all
I am pleased to say I have taken the first step. Who knew we collect a lot of stuff during our lifetime. Would love to hear from women who are solo for tips and advice about preparing for van dwelling

Hi and welcome to the forum readyfortheroad.

My first suggestion would be to read all of the threads on here, even if you don't think they will apply to you. I've learned a lot from all the threads. I didn't think I'd be living in a cargo trailer conversion, and didn't think I'd find anything interesting and useful in a captains log about a part of the country i never plan to visit. I read them anyway because I find interesting and useful info in everything I read on the forum.
Also an easy way to control your expenses is to be conservative with your fuel/consumables. I translate this into everything from cooking fuel (wonder ovens use about a sixth of the fuel as opposed to boiling) to using reusable products when I can.
Peace,
Angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Welcome readyfortheroad to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

AMGS3

Thank you for mentioning the wonder ovens. Never heard of them until now. That would be much better than a solar cooker because the food can cook indoors regardless of the weather!

^^^^Gloriahass
Yeah they are pretty cool. They work like a slow cooker. The key is you have to have a pot mostly full with a tight fitting lid. There's even insulated thermos pots that are made for "thermal" cooking (marketed to hikers), though you can use a regular tall coffee thermos, too. The main idea is to have your food at a rolling boil for 10-15min before putting it in the cooker, and don't 'peek' during the cooking time, that lets the heat out.

^^^^readyfortheroad
Do you know what type of vehicle you are interested in? (Or perhaps you already have a vehicle.)

Peace,
Angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

^^^Angie, I ordered one today - it was half off. I am getting it now so I can get use to cooking with it before I head out next year. I will also cut down on my electric bill (which is always a good thing). I will then need to get a dutch oven to cook in. I will search around locally to see what the stores have. I'll check out K-Mart and Kohl's.

That's interesting about the thermos pots. 

Gloria

Hi Angie.. It will definitely be a van tho I am looking for one now. My brother advises at least a 2007 but as to make and model it will be a surprise to not only you but me as well  lols