Tongue and Groove Board Reccomendation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29503

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I suffered a MAJOR back injury, as in lucky I'm not in a hospital.   I'm recovering.  Once I do I have no interest in wrestling paneling or plywood as I'm building on my own. [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Want to walk piece by piece in, one at a time and fasten in to avoid becoming a paraplegic. [/font]Can't twist the wrong way, have a bad back.  I'm open to alternatives, but...
Can anyone recommend a light and affordable tongue and groove board, or the lightest out there?  I've found 7.125"x8 ft -.75 inch thick at Lowes for $6.98 a board.  Is there better out there?

Rabbit

Rabbit

Home depot sells 1/4'' plastic tongue and groove. Flexible and of course each piece perfectly identical. It may be listed as Wainscoting. It can be painted with acrylic.

Home Depot also sells 1/4" cedar t&g in a 6 pack of 3.1/2" x 96" boards for $22 a bundle. They are not the best but they are relatively inexpensive and very light. I've used them in several vans so far and they look nice when installed. Because they are so thin you need to be more careful when installing them and there's a few tricks for that.

Treknik said:
Home depot sells 1/4'' plastic tongue and groove.  Flexible and of course each piece perfectly identical. It may be listed as Wainscoting. It can be painted with acrylic.
Thank you

tradesman said:
Home Depot also sells 1/4" cedar t&g in a 6 pack of 3.1/2" x 96" boards for $22 a bundle. They are not the best but they are relatively inexpensive and very light. I've used them in several vans so far and they look nice when installed. Because they are so thin you need to be more careful when installing them and there's a few tricks for that.
Thanks a lot.

You can also buy pine t&g in 1/4 inch boards, from most lumber suppliers, if you intend on painting the pine a good idea is to seal the knots with a shalack so they don’t seep through the paint. Ask me how I know.

A sheet of 1/8" plywood will be very manageable weight wise, vastly lower in cost and vastly faster to install.

As to bad backs, I had 2 disc removed in my lower back in 1983 and have bad disc in my thorasic region plus a lot of arthritis in my neck, shoulders, etc.
So when I say you can manage a sheet of 1/8" plywood and it will be easier on you than doing tounge and groove I do know what I am talking about. I am a woman in my 70s and  despite having a lot of spinal damage and wear and tear arthritis I have managed to do a full interior build.

When moving things you need to start thinking differently about how you move them. Use the principles of mechanical advantage. Do not pick up the wholevweight of a large or heavy object if you can avoid it. Use leverage, inclines, rollers, pulleys etc. But also don't avoid all lifting; if you don't use your muscles they get much weaker.

One piece of advice that really helps a lot . An half hour to an hour before you start a work session take an anti inflamatory medication. Doing that before you start working keeps you from getting into trouble with muscle spasms seizing up your back. Do not wait until you start hurting to take them because once they begin  spasms self accelerate into ever increasing pressure on the nerves and then you are out of commission for days or weeks. Spasms start with a signal to your brain of pain. That is your biggest enemy to accomplishing a days work. Don't over do lifting and bending stuff but also don't let your brain short circuit your mucles and send them into spasm mode. Getting a jump start on preventing the inflamation cycle from starting is going to be the the key factor to getting your buid accomplished. So anti inflamatory mediations before you start working is key.

So glad I ran into you. It’s nice to talk to one of my “people”.  Thanks. I took anti-inflammatory as soon as I read your advise.  I have a herniated  disc.  I’ve been to two doctors, both said they did not want to open me up yet.  I don’t want them to either.  This is the third occasion I’ve had a “spell”.  This has been the worst one over the last five years.  I DO NOT want to go through this again, it’s has been very painful.  I will take your suggestions to heart.  I’m able to get mobile again, it’s somewhat touchy but, I will follow your guidance.  I will say that I’m leaning toward the cedar boards more for asthetics now.  I didn’t know they made them that thin and it was how I envisioned my interior.  Early I was settled on the 1/8 Revolutionary Ply at Lowe’s, I will still keep it an option.
Thanks Maki2

tradesman said:
Do tell on the tricks when you find the time.  Did you seal them with anything or just screw them
in?  I want to do it right, but not make a unnecessary work.

If you finish them, make sure there is NO excess finish in either the tongue or the groove. Cut a short piece of the t&g house to tap the next board in place. Do not just use just a hammer as you'll crush the wood and it makes that much more difficult to put the next board in place.
I have used screws to attach directly to the ceiling ribs, I've also adhered magnets to the back of the t&g in the rib locations. This cuts down the amount of screws needed, and if you need to remove the boards its much easier.
You can also screw a strip of wood to the ceiling ribs first and then you don't have to worry about the various holes and depressions in the ribs.

But I don’t have to finish them. Love the magnet idea, wanted something like that for the very reason of potential maintenance, that or turn one focal point into a hinged board.

If you are having chronic herniated disc issues go online and order in a supply of the mineral manganese. Not to be confused with the better known mineral supplement magnesium which sounds quite similar.

Manganese specifically strengthens the fibrous tissues in your body. 
Fibrous tissues surround your spine. When they get weak or have a tear then you get herniated disc bulging out.  I would not be out of bed and walking around if I did not take manganese supplements. It really does work. It has helped a number of my friends. It even got my friend's dog who had a chronic pinched nerve in his neck get out of pain after years of suffering.

People take calcium to strengthen their bones, so it is not that far fetched to realize a different mineral is capable of strengthening the fibrous tissues. But do uderstand that it is something that you will likely need to take regularly if this is a chronic condition for your body to have. There is no cure, it is much like having osteoporous, you will need to go on taking this mineral supplement to help keep those fibrous tissues strong.

You will need to order it online as it has become next to impossible to find in the supplements section of stores. 

But one health warning, if you need to take prescription blood thinners then you should not take manganese supplements without first consulting your doctor.

Thanks very much for all the sound advice?.  I’d like very much to take the manganese.  I’m an active person who loves to exercise.  Also you know as well as I do, sitting down for prolonged periods in a vehicle has its side effects.

tradesman said:
If you finish them,
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Hey Tradesman,[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Im sorry but I didn’t ask my question clearly before.  I purchased those cedar planks.  They’re exactly what I was looking for.   I guess I should have asked: “Do they need to be finished?”.  If not I’d rather just attach [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]them and move on.[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Thanks,[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Rabbit[/font]