Today's Reason to Celebrate!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stargazer

Reaction score
June 20, 2020 The Summer Solstice.  I love the Solstices.  In summer, on[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]e can get the most work done.[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]  Ri[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]ght after my nap, which can be longer, too!  Woot! And [/font]winter is the day when you can say, "Ha!  From this day forth, there will be more light."

L-e-t  the sun shine! L-e-t the sun shine in, the
s-u-n  shine in!

Stargazer said:
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] And [/font]winter is the day when you can say, "Ha!  From this day forth, there will be more light."
Living in Alaska Summer Solstice is a huge deal.

It was always bittersweet because as you know the day light begins to shorten for the next 6 months. First just a minute or so. then 3.. then 5.. then 7++++ minutes lost a day.. until you are left with just 3 hours of daylight.. or  much less in some areas.

By the end of July it is starting to get chilly and rainy.. the fireweed have reached the tops and the down cycle is very noticeable... so brief:(

Summer solstice to me is like New Years eve.. one big celebratory funeral.

I was always perplexed tho that for Solstice in ALaska the cities always shoot off fireworks... ??!! they are pretty boring when you have 21 hours of daylight.  Probably better things for the govt to spend money on?

desert_sailing said:
Living in Alaska Summer Solstice is a huge deal.

It was always bittersweet because as you know the day light begins to shorten for the next 6 months. First just a minute or so. then 3.. then 5.. then 7++++ minutes lost a day.. until you are left with just 3 hours of daylight.. or  much less in some areas.

By the end of July it is starting to get chilly and rainy.. the fireweed have reached the tops and the down cycle is very noticeable... so brief:(

Summer solstice to me is like New Years eve.. one big celebratory funeral.

I was always perplexed tho that for Solstice in ALaska the cities always shoot off fireworks... ??!! they are pretty boring when you have 21 hours of daylight.  Probably better things for the govt to spend money on?
June 21, the Winter Solstice.

rokguy said:
June 21, the Winter Solstice.
Well that was always the official Alaska solstice day. I keep hearing everyone call it today the 20th.. weird ...So i looked it up here and apparently this year it is indeed the 20th at 1:43 AST... at least this year.

But the 21st is Alaskan tradition of course... regardless of what those sciency people want to say.

There is normally a big Solstice parade that starts in my neighborhood and then ends in an adjacent one. Lots of naked bicycle riders and walkers with body paint participate. No one gets arrested or sighted for public nudity. Then a big crafts and food fair as well as performance events at the destination end of the parade. Of course lots of various types of libations are partaken during this event.

If you are so inclined you can see youtube videos of it just search for Fremont Solstice Parade add R rated if you like.

But not this summer, it had to be cancelled due to health reasons. They are doing a virtual event though for fund raising for the arts programs.

desert_sailing said:
Well that was always the official Alaska solstice day. I keep hearing everyone call it today the 20th.. weird ...So i looked it up here and apparently this year it is indeed the 20th at 1:43 AST... at least this year.

But the 21st is Alaskan tradition of course... regardless of what those sciency people want to say.
Yep 21st here which is today, (and being Winter) we are 18 odd hours ahead of you guys remember.

rokguy said:
Yep 21st here which is today, (and being Winter) we are 18 odd hours ahead of you guys remember.
Ahh.. I see.. well happy Winter Solstice to you! The days are getting brighter then for you.
Great reason to celebrate.. the glass is filling up!