Toasting tortillas on butane stove ok? Or unhealthy?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ORANGE

Reaction score
Can you cook things on the open flame of a butane stove and eat it?  Like blackening up some flour tortillas?  Or other things you want to do. Or is that gas dangerous?

I have no idea.  The gas at home is different.

Thank you

You'll get better heat distribution from putting the tortillas in a frying pan than directly on the burner. There is no good system of spreading the heat on the stoves except with a pan of some kind. You'll also keep the tortilla from sticking to the 'burner' - it's some kind of black painted steel (?).

I carry an old cast aluminum pan that I use for making quesadillas and pan pizza (amongst other uses for it) - a non-stick pan probably won't brown the tortillas nicely. A little olive oil goes a long way in the pan for making the bottom of Naan (for pizza) and tortillas brown nicely without sticking.

I don't see anything in burning butane that would be unhealthy:

Butane + Oxygen → Carbon Dioxide + Water + Heat
     2 C4H10 + 13 O2 → 8 CO2+ 10 H2O + Heat

Yes no problem.

Some people believe the burnt bits on BBQ meat are carcinogenic, but that's got nothing to do with the fuel used.

Good!

Oh no pan! Take that pan off and try burning them a little. Heaven on earth to me. The black paint if it never chips, gotta be safe, that is taking on some high heat.

Right that meat is dangerous, the burnt parts. No problem with grains or vegetables though.

Also try burning some corn tortillas--fantastic.

I do it all the time on propane. I have recently acquired a flat iron, I need to clean that up and give it a try. highdesertranger

I have a little iron Star that lays flat on the burner. Keeps the burner clean and helps to spread the heat evenly.. I'll get a picture.

It is not "some people think" It is scientific study that has linked burnt meat to cancer.

chefs use a small propane flame thrower to brown their desserts and other recipes :) Sure, go for it :)

scientific studies....ugh, most have no pot to pizz in with weight on their findings. Anyone can do a study ya know and have it posted. just saying :)
and even if a study has a known backed name to it, buyer beware still on that study!!

Modern life "causes" cancer.

Taking all the risks out of life takes the life out of life.

When my time comes, I'll take the only sure-fire "cure".

yes. no value to peer reviewed studies. Only what is posted on forums has any validity. then only if it fits an agenda.

So here's the star. They're also used under glass and enamel cookware to distribute the heat and I was told to prevent breaking and cracking.
And that's a tube of chapstick in the middle of the star

thumbnail.jpeg

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpeg
    thumbnail.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 4
So here's the star. They're also used under glass and enamel cookware to distribute the heat and I was told to prevent breaking and cracking.
And that's a tube of chapstick in the middle of the star

View attachment 21083

I wouldn't trust pyrex on top of that. Temperature variations will still be extreme.

John61CT said:

Taking all the risks out of life takes the life out of life.

When my time comes, I'll take the only sure-fire "cure".
:p you said it.

I use a carbon steel flat naan pan I got at an Indian market for all flat breads. It's one of the 4 pans I brought into the van: pressure cooker, sauce pot, small saute pan, and the naan pan mentioned above..

Almost There said:
You'll get better heat distribution from putting the tortillas in a frying pan than directly on the burner.

Yet millions of tortilla eaters toast them over open flames—or whatever else is handy—so in a way it's rather authentic. But, of course RAW tortillas should be cooked on a hot flat surface.

John61CT said:

People have been dying of cancer as long as humans have existed. (Hell, animals get cancer) It didn't seem as common because they usually died of something else first.