electronic car key problems

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgana

Reaction score
I don't suppose anyone has any magical advice for this? I have to replace the battery in a car key but the little screw that I have to unscrew is frozen. The guy in the Honda dealership couldn't get it open, but his screwdriver was a little too big. I tried at home with a smaller (eyeglass repair) screwdriver and some WD40 (which Honda guy said would be OK), no luck.
It's not the end of the world, I could always crack the plastic housing (obviously not ideal though) or get a whole new key for $30. Just thought I'd check here first and see if there are any obvious other things to try. Any ideas, or once it gets stuck like that is it a lost cause?
Thanks!

You might try a Battery + store they do a lot of battery replacements, maybe they know a trick?

I would gently try to drill off the screwhead . Once off you can pull off the plastic. Check youtube for you model keyfob. Mine has a couple of simple tricks not obvious to open. Once plastic cover is off use pliers to remove the screw (without it's screwhead). Replace battery, look for plastic toys or remotes for donor screws :)

^^^Harbor Freight has a set of left handed drill bits that are cheap a work pretty well in my experience.

What you refer to as an eyeglass screwdriver is actually just 1 of a jeweler's screwdriver set. The thing about simple Phillips screws is that when they get "set" tightly it is easy for the driver to slip out and getting the exact fit between the driver and the screw is important. I always keep a set in my toolbox. You can get a cheap set on Amazon for around $10.

Whenever I can, I switch out Phillips screws for star screws, which are more common in Canada and do not slip out like this. I throw away standard slotted screws as quickly as I can. Terrible design! I hope that helps a little.

Go to Walmart jewelry section where they sell watches. They also sell and replace watch batteries and fob batteries. They'll open it up.

Other than that, consider warming it up with a hair dryer before trying to loosen it. A lot of fob screws have a dab of loktight on them. Usually blue.

Ron is correct, getting the exact size screwdriver makes a huge difference. Working on phones and computers for years has proven that out. I don't think you'll need to drill it out. You just need the right sized screwdriver.

Any locksmith place that sells fob keys will be able to open it for you. Same for almost any phone repair shop. If you were nearby I'd do it for you.

Go to Walmart jewelry section where they sell watches. They also sell and replace watch batteries and fob batteries. They'll open it up.
I never thought to go to Walmart. My sister sent me some of my mom's old watches. I ordered watch batteries, but can't figure out how to open the watches. On the Timex website it says to have a jewelry store replace the battery. I forgot that is how I replaced my watch batteries decades ago.

Take it to the parts counter at a Honda dealer. They will sell you a battery and install it for free as well as give you a tutorial. But also purchase a second battery or even a second key to get you by until you replace a battery in the first one if it runs out of power. Also a couple of the correct size of screw driver. I have one I keep in my glove box and one for my tool drawer in my travel trailer. Actually I have a third one that is part of the electronics repair kit that came with an assortment of small screw divers and nut drivers. I hate looking for small tools so for me redundancy works best.

Last edited:
What a pain in the arse & why I don't like/need/want computers in vehicles.The ins co totaled my plow truck because a mouse peed on the computer. I love my diesel 88k mile ambo because it's the last full year w/o a computer but i'm not going to use it so will have to let it go.

^^^Ford 7.3 California spec Excursion owner left his window cracked open when a sudden rain storm got his computer wet as the rain ran down from the dash. Six months in the shop and an additional year of litigation later he was forced to give up on making Ford fix the 32,000 mile 10 year old diesel he had loved and allow them to total it.

We got along fine without computers & had everything we needed, power windows, door locks, brakes, steering, air cond, etc and the milage was better, 55mpg on diesel rabbits & very comfortable for my 6'4" & my hunting buddy's 6'6" height. We each had 2 & diesel was cheap. Geo Metro aka Suzuki Swift 60+ mpg gas on the early ones but I had a later one only got 50 mpg. Tires for the Rabbits & Geo were $99 for 4 installed. One of the best was a Subaru 4WD wagon. Only got about 35mpg but great 4WD & could sleep in the back. They make Exp aircraft engines out of Subaru & Geo engines.