To Prius or not to Pruis?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEAUX- PRIUS Cowboy

Geauxfrugal
Reaction score
Give me reliability or give me a ride.  Yes Patrick Henry the revolutionary character said it a little different but in the transportation game if you got to take a ride from somebody (tow-truck) you got death? To be perfectly honest with you IDK how Toyota does it these cars just bang out mile after mile of flawless performance.

Follow me on this. You buy Prius not because it is sexy or fast nobody wants to drive  it guess what when nobody wants to drive your car it does not get dogged out. Ever try and dog your Prius I have guess what happens the car has this computer that detects that and the car will just flat out ruin that urge to abuse the car. (they NEVER ask for my keys to go anyplace)

I remember what my brother and my uncle use to do to my mothers cars when she let them go to the store with it or worse take it out on a Sat night. They drove that thing like a rental unit NO SHIT they saw a car stunt done in a JAMES BOND MOVIE and they thought it out how it was done and then they replicated it. You know the one where they go in reverse really fast pull the emergency brake the car spins around and they put the car into 2nd gear becasue when they spin around it nearly flips the car due to the speed ? I was in the car when they did that to one of my mothers cars. Sometimes we would get back home you could smell the burnt rubber and just hoped she did not come out to drive her car. 

Prius might have 150K miles on it but guess how it was driven most the time? Some Miser drove it like it was a little baby that needed to be handled gently. It was driven in a manner that saved fuel or it negates the entire logic behind acquiring said vehicle. Not that the car is slow it is very nifty we just don't drive it fast becasue that is not how you play the Prius game. A car that had the hard work an engine does not like, taken care of by an electric motor a component that loves to get things rolling? Hence a car that has 150 K miles that will have toggled on and off a 150 K mile car will have a lot more on the engine since that engine will have been on for MORE than 150 K miles. The Prius not so it will have been turned off while driving that 150 K miles. If you are sitting at idle in your car you watch those mpg rise it gets you to turn the engine off. 

I don't think I have enough years to see how long it takes to use a Prius until it is considered unreliable? You get sick of the car long before that happens. But I am so damn cheap I NEVER get sick of the money and most of all I never get sick of getting in that old ass car pressing that button smelling the smell of my last cigar and saying that is nasty then firing up the clean AC Pop in a yard sale $1 CD and heading off to do what ever I have to do. Smoking cigars don't make your car smell better but I don't run the AC when I burn one, so that saves even more fuel? Go figure? I do fire the AC up cool off the car maybe a minute or 2 then once I am down the road a bit I turn off that AC light a stogie and roll down the window. Crazy aint it?

For the production run of the Gen 2 Prius they said that something like 98% of the cars sold in USA were still on the road. I always said it was not becasue they love the car there is nothing to love it is more like a friend with benefits relationship  becasue that car is so affordable to drive that people don't think twice about repairing that car they just do it. It breaks they say I am fixing it I saved that much in fuel alone? In truth when you own a car 10 years and the only times it did not start was becasue of operator error you see no reason to trade it. I get it others see my cars dents I see a car nobody bothers to put any more door dings in becasue it already has enough. I kid you not you get a perfect car never fails some welfare queen will open that door just to put her mark on society.

You die a little each time your ride dose not start. It puts that little voice inside your head saying "maybe you shouldn't go there what if your ride fails you ?" When I was younger it was some of the most insane outburst I was not trained about how to do PM I had no clue about doing things for your car. I thought my dad was just being an asshole but he was righteous about that oil change you don't take car of your car you are shooting yourself in the foot.http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/11/the-road-travelled-15-years-of-the-toyota-prius.html

We pay for the top dollar AAA membership and we wonder why? I bet the entire team at AAA go down the halls of their business giving high five every time they sucker a Prius owner into AAA road side assistance insurance.Year after year no reason to call them? Each year I wonder why I pay this but I know the very year I try and be cheap about it all hell will break lose? Flat tires , wrecks , keys lost?

People that get AAA are usually the people that do their PM preventative maintenance on time. Probably people that replace their car before it hits too many miles. Some of us are people like me that say hummm how many miles years will this car bring me where I go?

There was a Prius V I was watching on Car-guru the place I bought our Prius V. 2016 we paid $12 K for a 60 K mile one owner. It is about to hit 100K miles. FLAWLESS PERFORMANCE. That car was GONE I told a few people about it IDK if somebody I told got it or if it was just such a great deal somebody snatched it up but that car is sold. I sure hope somebody that is going to live out of it bought it. The heat what it is you want to have a car that you can sleep in that you run the AC.

Many see the car as expensive I agree if you buy it NEW but you will find the resale value of a Prius is directly proportional to the cost of fuel. Cheap fuel the cars resale value goes down. Fuel prices go up the cars resale value is very high.  What you find is prius owners that just want their new car and could care less if they lose money on the resale of their used Prius. During these transitions they accept that if they are going to get what they WANT they have to take a hit. Clearly they are not selling the Prius because it is a piggy back queen? Please share your photo of a Prius on a tow truck? I have never seen it and I have owned 3 Prius in the last 10 years.

GEAUX- PRIUS Cowboy said:

About PM? Belt I lost my cool over a belt I did not know that I had to replace belts you learn these things as you go if you never was told about these things? Now that I am wiser I tend to carry extra parts if I have them.

I always buy the extra blade fuses have them on hand when you get a car they should provide you with a small kit. A DMM digital multi meter is always good to have . Another can't live without is a 4 way lug wrench it is the next best tool when it comes to flats you can spin it fast so you can get a tire on and off pretty quick it is ideal at getting them back on tight too. Window care is important too you must have rain X on your side mirrors and windows and front glass. With the front glass you might want to do half if you do a lot of night time urban driving. If you drive in the country glare will not be a big issue but urban glare is a big deal when it rains if you drive day light mostly by all means cover your entire front window with rain X A great tool to have on hand is one of them pivoting window cleaners. They have a handle that is about a ft long and use a micro cloth head. I take that device each morning and place some napkins on them I use that to collect the night dew that collects on your windshield. Happens if you sleep in your car engine running AC or not. Look at it this way you will have the cleanest windows around and I DO. When I see  homeless man TRAVIS HEINZE video out his windshield and it is nasty I know he is homeless not a rubber tramp becasue he wants to be he is there becasue he is pretty lazy his live he can live it his way at least he is still here. The most difficult window to clean is that front one you have to twist your arm nearly dislocating your shoulder if you don't have this tool.

The new GEN 3 PRIUS did not have a belt what I am told they omitted the belt by engineering it out this means the car has less friction from that component they did it to save fuel. They also have one less failure point IDK just what they did to drive that alternator I am glad they did it if it works as it should. 

Tires my solution for tires is simple BUY WALMART insure them and you have a tire shop nearly everywhere you go. Only drawback to buying WMT tires is when they go out of date they refuse to work on the tires they will not rotate them they will not repair them you are out. So that is the only drawback to Walmart tire insurance. Other than that I did have my wife blow out 2 tires when she hit something in the road. WMT replaced them and all was good. Rare you will have a flat usually you get a slow leak and if you get it to WMT in time you will have it fixed and you are on your way no charge. Usually my cars tires will go out of date before I run out of tread so when I reach that point I will just pay to get them rotated and balanced by another tire shop if my rubber is tall enough. 

Air compressor is a must the economy of your car is going to depend on how well you keep the air pressure accurate in your tires. Use a digital air pressure gauge they are far more accurate than the analog type. They claim that tires under inflated 1 pound can cost you 3% fuel economy you are creating drag when you slack in this way.

I was thinking about getting a Prius a while back, but I was concerned about the replacement battery cost as I put a lot of miles on my car (I currently have 380,000 miles on my 06 Chevy Cobalt.) Toyota warranties their battery pack for 8 years and 100,000 miles. I'm still doing research on this, but from what I've learned so far is that age is a bigger factor on battery life than mileage, as I've heard of several Prius's with around 200,000 miles on the clock (twice what Toyota will warranty) and the battery is still working fine - but these cars are only about 5-6 years old. I've heard of people putting a used battery pack in their Prius from a wrecked one for around $1,500 but a new battery pack with install costs between $3,500 and $4,000 depending on the labor rate in your area. I guess it depends on how long you plan on keeping your car as to which option makes more sense. This compares to the cost of replacing the engine in my Cobalt (around $3k to have an under 100k mile used one installed) so I guess that's not too bad. Assuming you can conservatively get 200,000 miles out of a new battery pack that works out to less than 2 cents/mile for your replacement battery cost. That's not bad at all and certainly less than the extra gas would cost comparing the Prius's epa est MPG to say my Cobalt's mpg (46 mpg vs 30 mpg - for comparison purposes only) or 5.5 cents/mile vs 8 cents/mile (at $2.50/gallon avg fuel cost). Even adding the extra 2 cents/mile battery cost then it's still over .5 cent/mile cheaper to operate than my Chevy. Sure the Chevy will still have to have it's engine and transmission serviced and eventually replaced, but so will the gas engine and tranny on the Prius.

I know this is an apples and oranges comparison as each choice has advantages such as the Prius's ability to run the air conditioner without running the engine continuously or the Cobalt's superior towing ability, but just looking at the economy factor it looks like the Prius has a slight edge in the long term operation cost department (without considering the differences in initial cost, insurance costs, depreciation, maint. etc which was beyond the scope of this simple "fuel" cost analysis.)

I agree 100% that whatever your ride is, carrying repair tools, an air compressor, a tire plug kit, fuses, multimeter, a can of fix a flat, etc. makes good sense if one is going to go far off the beaten path, and could even be a life saver, not to mention the peace of mind offered by this basic "insurance." With a low mileage car in good condition it's a toss up as far as if a roadside assistance plan like AAA is worth it to you. With an older, high mileage car like mine it's almost a no-brainer.

Thanks for the good write up on the subject. There's lots about the Prius I didn't know, their outstanding durability for one.

Chip

You get my PM? Battery I replaced it and you should be find with your batteries if you drive your car enough. Clearly you do. I don't I really should be one Prius and one ICE car. But I made that change years ago and I am not going to throw more money down the musical chairs car management. When I changed my HYBRID battery I bought all new 2008 cells I probably could have had taken the car to the battery shop and had them replace the bad cell then slap it back in but I wanted the security of knowing I have all new batteries. The tech is usually the most expensive part of getting work done. These days people tend to watch a video take it out themselves and drive the battery over to a battery tech they will find the bad cell and pop in a new one then drive it back home and slap it in. 

I used green tech auto they fixed it in my yard $2600 for all new gen 3 batteries they gave me $300 core for the battery pack I traded off. I did not have to go with the more expensive route but I figured at the time the cost for fuel it was worth it to fix it. Today fuel cost is way down so people are more likely to pass on repairing their hybrid. The value of a hybrid is based on the price of fuel it really is. A lot of Prius owners think they can hold out and get big money for their USED car and they are just going to sit on that car for a very long time end up having to replace that hybrid battery if they don't drive that car regularly. Right now I have to go to WMT I want to take the Prius V but I have not driven my GEN 2 in a few days and I need to at least go for a ride with that puppy now before I start to have issue with the car in the future you have to condition those batteries. That and I don't smoke cigars in the new car.

The Prius was at the top of my list until I went to Mexico with a friend in one. We bottomed out so many times it was not funny. The car is so low it was seriously terrifying (for me anyway) to drive on many dirt roads.

I am also 51 and climbing in and out of it to sleep seemed a bit too tight for me.

I do love the Prius and the concept of it. Being able to power a CPAP at night and keep the AC on seems heavenly. I wish I had those functions!

I have car camped a decent amount in a SUV and found one that had a higher clearance than many, was small enough to fit into my downtown garage, and small enough that I felt I could drive and park it OK. I settled on a 2017 Honda SUV. This model is higher and larger than the previous generations and I can sit up in it and should last me for a good 15 years.

Tried to talk myself into a minivan but I just couldn't do it....a full sized van would not fit into my garage...

Waited as long as I could to get a new car but my 1999 Honda Accord go to the point that it HAD to be replaced.

Just watch in the next year or two they will have a vehicle that marries the functions I need with the awesome features of the Prius! Oh please don't tell me that they already did ;)

Would love to hear a more open discussion on what people chose and why. There are not a lot of people out there that I can have that conversation with ;)
Best,