TN makes camping on public land a felony

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is possible that the stronger law is to deter non-residents from squatting in Tennessee.
Local residents would be less likely to engage in criminal behavior, whereas a transient person might engage in petty criminal activity and/or consume limited local social resources.

Aren't most people on this forum "transients"?

The concern may be more that it will be enforced (beyond what it's current proponents claim to intend), not that it won't.

The law states that the violator has 24 hours to move and will only be charged if they refuse to move after 24 hours. I think the felony charge is a tad excessive.

The law states that the violator has 24 hours to move and will only be charged if they refuse to move after 24 hours. I think the felony charge is a tad excessive.
What happens if your vehicle is broken down and you can't afford a tow?

What happens if your vehicle is broken down and you can't afford a tow?
I'm sure the authorities will be more than happy to tow it off for you while giving you a night in resort-like accomodations. I guess the lesson here is keep an emergency fund and your vehicle maintained.

At least they can't make it a felony on Federal Lands unless the feds are inclined to do a mutual agreement with the state which does happen now and again in some situations.

I've parked my van in downtown Nashville in the paid parking lots more times than I can count, I go through there to drink beer, listen to music and crash in the van! Never had an issue in over 2 decades! K owing I was likely on shaker ground but never been confronted or messed with at all! Maybe by aggressive panhandle downtown but not by cops or parking attendants or security!

Nashville is my favorite pitstop to stay a couple days! I used to hit Memphis too but it's become kind of dangerous!

I don't know about Tennessee, but here in Washington State, the big problems are produced by the people who are referred to as "homeless", but are really chronic drunks and junkies. Out of curiosity, I drove through one in Olympia, and I left a lot faster than I went in. I got the definite impression that I was being assessed by the residents as prey, despite driving a spray-painted '88 Chevy pickup that would look at home in an auto wrecking lot.

Truly homeless people who aren't drunks and junkies seem to be camping in small groups (2 or 3) more isolated places, and not trashing the area.