Tire Rolling Resistance

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcurtin1962

Reaction score

Paying attention to the rolling resistance of the tires you buy can save you a lot on the amount of fuel you use.

I bought LRR tires for my van the first few years I started on the road. I track my fuel mileage data religiously (I love spreadsheets) and found there to be no difference at all in MPG. I'm not arguing that they make a difference - in a lab - but out in the real world it is so far down on the list of things that matter that it is pretty much irrelevant. However, if they are the same price as a non-LRR tire, why not pickup the LRR right?

I wrote a post some time back about how to increase some MPG - https://www.van-tramp.com/wp/increasing-the-mpg-in-the-big-blue-van/

I have a 2015 Prius that came w/LRR tires on it. I got 50 MPG regularly. Because I planned to go thousands of miles on rough gravel roads, I decided to replace my worn tires with stronger, more aggressive light truck tires of the same size, not LRR. Now my MPG averages around 40, a 20% decrease. I was warned by the tire store to expect this decrease; so, no surprise ... but, ouch!

When LRR's first came out I put a set on a 2006 Ford Focus two-door stickshift. I gained about 5% MPG; it was tracked carefully. What that experience might mean to other specific vehicles-- much less vehicles of other types-- and other specific tires than these I can't say. Each individual case is too different to make generalizations. There are too many variables are in play.

Suanne said:
I have a 2015 Prius that came w/LRR tires on it. I got 50 MPG regularly. Because I planned to go thousands of miles on rough gravel roads, I decided to replace my worn tires with stronger, more aggressive light truck tires of the same size, not LRR. Now my MPG averages around 40, a 20% decrease. I was warned by the tire store to expect this decrease; so, no surprise ... but, ouch!

Suanne, did you wind up putting the anticipated miles on the rough gravel roads? Wondering how your tires held up.

Minivanmotoman said:
Do lots of miles, worthwhile. Boondock 14 days and move, not so much.

50,000 miles are 50,000 miles whether you do them in long stretches or short hops. What your driving on and whether you're in traffic does make a difference, though.

Just a note: Those tire with hard compounds do great for gas mileage, but they're slippery as hell on snow. Harder compounds may also break and crack when on rocky roads. get tires based on how you're going to be driving otherwise you may be unsafe in some situations. Horses for courses.

Dennis said:
Suanne, did you wind up putting the anticipated miles on the rough gravel roads? Wondering how your tires held up.
Dennis, Unfortunately, I did not due to a couple of unexpected issues.  Too bad because I sure would like the better gas mileage right now as I'm putting on lots of miles.  I'm still planning to do that gravel-road trip next summer; so, the LT tire purchase won't be wasted.  I'll report on their performance when the time comes.

Just wondered how you made out with LT and gravel roads on your Prius if you did. I have ran a lot of LT and about ready for more. On vans and PU though.
Yes, please report back when you do.

I put LRR tires on my 4x4 1/2 ton Chevy truck, got a 1 mpg bump (14 vs 15 mpg) which is about 7% better mpg. For the mild off roading I do it made no difference between AT tires and LRR, I have lockers front and rear so traction has never been a problem. I found the LRR to be a real winner for me, they usually last double the mileage of an AT, roll super quiet and give better mileage. Mine were 265/65-16s I think.