Tiny house living - YouTube video

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyc

Reaction score

Tiny house living. Very cool mobile house on wheels. Maybe even better than towing a traditional trailer?

What exactly is that fuel used for the stove and oven? That was slick whatever it is.

Very organized setup. Cool toilet/bathroom setup too.

It's nice in a lot of ways... I like the fold-down Ikea desk, the sliding closet doors, the loft, etc.

On the other hand, it cost them $35,000 (yikes!) and they pay $500 a month for rent (which does include utilities)...which is not better than one can pay for a tiny apartment of that size. So while it is more independent and creative, it's not necessarily a big money saver compared to available alternatives. Would you agree?

...By the way, in answer to your question, CaseyC, the fuel they're using is denatured alcohol...which is supposed to be widely available in hardware stores. Apparently alcohol stoves are fairly common on boats--and from what I've read, the "non-pressurized" alcohol stoves are considered the best kind of alcohol stove to use.

Some of the reported (or claimed) down sides to cooking with denatured alcohol are...that the flame is harder to see, and that it doesn't burn as hot as propane or other gas and therefore takes longer to cook things. The proponents of using the alcohol, on the other hand, claim that propane will occasionally explode while alcohol will not, and also that alcohol is more easily available in various far-flung places.

caseyc said:
What exactly is that fuel used for the stove and oven? That was slick whatever it is.

That is what I think we call metholated spirits. I have looked for this in many stores, in North America, but never been able to get it. At home it is readily available in plastic bottles. I have never seen those cannisters shown in the video.

In the past, and particularly when the children were young, we always used the metho fueled Trangia stoves when camping. I still have two which I use when away from home. Since the fuel is not under pressure and not explosive, and the stove itself is very stable, they are the safest way to teach children outdoor cooking. (The gas fitting is a recent addition to the range.)

Lifey

small cans (Jelled gas) sold here in Va @ w/mart are "Sterno" Brand in the camping section,K-mart have them too.pop top replacable lid.

Hmmm. That fuel seems like too much trouble to bother if it can't be bought easily and locally.

That's still a cool rig though. Yes, $35,000 does seem like a bit, but that also included all the other accessories, I seem to recall them saying.

Those are cute and all, but we'll stick with our moho for now.

I didn't like the smell of cooking with denatured alcohol on our sailboat. It is easy to find in coastal areas, as many boats use the stuff.
The flame is clear and I was always afraid of fire in a bilge if any got spilled for some odd reason, so I switched to propane.