time to pack up, but what to start with...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanbrat

Reaction score
We're getting ready to start some camping again. And that means food thoughts again. We plan on doing some short trips to start and I don't want to over pack. (something I always seem to do). I want to do some fire with a stick cooking cause clean up is sooo easy. I have made lots of goodies over the fire but can always use more ideas.

I love roasted apples, hot dogs, shrimp wrapped in bacon. (OKAY anything wrapped in bacon), strips of beef steak. I'm going to try to roast some chicken strips marinaded in teriyaki but we'll see.

I have some pie irons and love those goodies! but not so much for easy clean up.... those things need washed.

I have a reflector oven, but I have not used it much yet I just got it.

So what is an easy fast thing you like to do with a good hot fire?

All of your fire cooking suggestions sound good.

If you don’t have a Dutch Oven with legs, for cooking with coals, that may be a good investment.

You can buy parchment paper as well as foil pan liners, which makes cleanup a snap.

Have fun. ☺️

We plan on doing some short trips to start and I don't want to over pack. (something I always seem to do). I want to do some fire with a stick cooking cause clean up is sooo easy.
I don't think fires are a good long term practice in most of the country, due to how quickly the downed-wood gets consumed in an area, and the fire danger in most parts. A non-stick pan with a lid makes good use of the fuel you bring, and clean up seems very easy to me. If you want to keep it simple...

We're getting ready to start some camping again. And that means food thoughts again. We plan on doing some short trips to start and I don't want to over pack. (something I always seem to do). I want to do some fire with a stick cooking cause clean up is sooo easy. I have made lots of goodies over the fire but can always use more ideas.

I love roasted apples, hot dogs, shrimp wrapped in bacon. (OKAY anything wrapped in bacon), strips of beef steak. I'm going to try to roast some chicken strips marinaded in teriyaki but we'll see.

I have some pie irons and love those goodies! but not so much for easy clean up.... those things need washed.

I have a reflector oven, but I have not used it much yet I just got it.

So what is an easy fast thing you like to do with a good hot fire?
You can cook biscuits on a stick over an open fire... I've tried it and it's pretty tasty and fun.

I've done it with the refrigerated biscuit and cinnamon roll dough in a tube. Takes a couple tries
to figure out what you are doing, but it's not super complicated and pretty tasty. I'll say now
though, that it's easier if you have a longer stick!

You can cook biscuits on a stick over an open fire... I've tried it and it's pretty tasty and fun.
Bacon wrapped roasted apple biscuits sounds amazing.

I'm thinking maybe get some of the pouches of precooked 60 second microwave rice transferred to a heavy duty foil pouch you can make for sides. Obviously you can do the baked potato thing as well. Beans and chili as well.

As long as the foil is heavy duty and you have good folding skills lol. Would save on cleanup.

Last edited:

I've done it with the refrigerated biscuit and cinnamon roll dough in a tube. Takes a couple tries
to figure out what you are doing, but it's not super complicated and pretty tasty. I'll say now
though, that it's easier if you have a longer stick!

I have done that too they come out yummy thank you for the reminder.