Thru-Floor Ventilation System

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CottonTexas

Reaction score
Instead of starting abunch of little threads wanting advice on the details, I figured it'd just be better to start a thread showing what I'm trying to do entirely, and hopefully gain input, and change the overall plan as necessary.  

I am totally getting the fan speed controller recommended by SternWake, because (in case y'all didn't know) The Absorption Voltage Nazi is a certifiable 'dweller genius when it comes to keeping cool.  Props to you man, you are appreciated.  

497dfbf2fb.png

I found a schematic online for a controller for the exhaust cutouts on a Ford Raptor forum, but I'm not sure yet how to double the plans to get it to operate both sides.

49830dc313.jpg

The included part numbers are:
Power Relay: 781XAXC-12D
Interval-on Relays: TDRSOXP-12V

I can't help but feel like I've nuked this, and I've overlooked a simpler way to go about doing what I'm trying to do here.  I already choked on the iVac blast gates, and I nixed the idea of going wireless since there would be no way of properly mounting a switch from a key-fob, and I just don't trust it enough to be reliable anyway, but I'm wondering if there's an easier/better way that I've overlooked.  Please feel free to snicker at my ridiculous calash and/or chime in with advice/ideas.  Thanks, Cotton

just a note the exhaust cut outs do not seal 100%. while driving exhaust fumes can enter. highdesertranger

Seems like a very expensive set up. And labor intensive. Overcomplicated.

You'll still be drawing in warm TX air from below.
You'll use up valuable interior space with all the gizmo's. And access to service the unit later.
Whats the return on investment? Versus a ceiling fan or a 12v plug in fan?

I love to plug in the clip-on 12v fan and blow air directly at me. Your system would need to be snorkeled to near the bed or elsewhere to give you a breeze where needed.

highdesertranger said:
just a note the exhaust cut outs do not seal 100%.  while driving exhaust fumes can enter.  highdesertranger

Noted and replied, but to add:  These valves are designed to keep exhaust gasses from escaping while positioned directly in the path of the exhaust.  I don't know that I would bank on it withstanding a steady pelting of tear-gass (without a dab or so of silicone anyway), but I think they're a pretty safe bet when positioned 3-6 feet away from the end of a tailpipe of a vehicle with a fully funcioning exhaust & emissions system.  They're bound to work better than a blast gate anyway.  Besides, I smoke, so I ain't a'skeered ;)  

gargoyle said:
Seems like a very expensive set up. And labor intensive. Overcomplicated.

You'll still be drawing in warm TX air from below.
You'll use up valuable interior space with all the gizmo's. And access to service the unit later.
Whats the return on investment? Versus a ceiling fan or a 12v plug in fan?

I love to plug in the clip-on 12v  fan and blow air directly at me. Your system would need to be snorkeled to near the bed or elsewhere to give you a breeze where needed.

I agree with you that it seems overly complicated, and it looks like planning will become even more important when it comes to the auxiliary circuits, but that's a topic for another day.  

"No-Place" is a no-winder van, and as I said, I'm a smoker (I could feel the crowd gasp as they read this, but the joke's on y'all, enjoy your 90's - they're supposed to be the new 80's), so aside from being able to move enough air around to get ambient temperatures inside the van, I also need to aerate.

My van has a super-straight body making a roof fan a big no-no as I refuse to cut a hole in my roof.  The floor however has been beaten with engine blocks, but I would also like to not have to worry about a roof vent being in the way if/when the time comes for solar.  

Thanks for the replies, Cotton

I haven't seen you mention what/where you will be exhausting from the van box...a common answer is a MaxAir or Fantastic fan through the roof. Or I've seen them on rear doors too.

But I think you need something to let the air circulate through. So thought being that you could simply make your floor vents passive and allow the exhaust fan do the work of pulling air through. Would simplify a few things for you, and I believe the end performance result would be the same...

Looks like a good plan for your goals. Consider blower fan below body with noise vibration suppression measures. I nterior air circulation is easy to accomplish with various products. Perhaps a cooking snorkel . Phone reply brevity

One fan will pull and the other will push with the weather to determine which one does which, but I'm going to try to locate them as far from each other as possible, and well away from the tailpipe.  I'm not sure yet if the higher vent (the one that will usually be the puller) will go fore or aft of the E-W bed in the back.  I know I'm going to have to get decisive before I start building my platform which will be in very short order, but these are my proverbial "ducks" getting lined up.  Thanks for the replies, Cotton